The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Vigfus
Experienced
Experienced

Eurobowl Dice: loaded or not?

Post by Vigfus »

Hello,

On Sunday evening I was playing a game versus Old Magic Tobe, when Geoff pointed out to me that the Eurobowl dice were loaded. I was actually a bit amazed about it. Because to me the dice are an especially nice souvenir and I'd like to use them in the future, so I decided to do a little test to see if they are indeed loaded. This to make sure I'm not going to get accused of using loaded dice just because I like those dice.

In short, 1000 dice rolls later this is what I threw:
1: 16,6 %
2: 17,8 %
3: 17,2 %
4: 18,0 %
5: 15.2 %
6: 15.2 %

Doing a bit of statistics, I also checked if the values 5 and 6 were especially off the mark, making the dice roll lower, but everything should be within acceptable bounderies for a normal dice distribution, as only 1000 rolls were done.

In short, even though the 5's & 6's do come out lower in the test and 4's & 2's comes out higher, the distribution is well within statistic bounderies.
To me this is good news as it means I'll be using these from now on, and nobody will be not using them because they 're "loaded".

For those interested, on a 2d6 roll these are the chances to roll if the given values are completely correct (which as above stated they're not because the sample was too limited):
2: 2.76 % vs 2.77 % ideally
3: 5.90 % vs 5.55 % ideally
4: 8.88 % vs 8.33 % ideally
5: 12.10 % vs 11.11 % ideally
6: 14.40 % vs 13.89 % ideally
7: 16.64 % vs 16.67 % ideally
8: 13.88 % vs 13.89 % ideally
9: 10.70 % vs 11.11 % ideally
10: 7.78 % vs 8.33 % ideally
11: 4.62 % vs 5.55 % ideally
12: 2.31 % vs 2.77% ideally

I'd say they are save to use and the deviation of the values is within bounderies to use them savely without being accused of using loaded dice.

Important remark: the fact that both 5's and 6's are lower should not put you off. The reason for this is simply that I threw less 5's and 6's than statistically would be the average.

Reason: ''
I am De Duvel, but you can call me Sjapie
Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

Geoff thinks all pictured dice are loaded.

Mr 1-in-20
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Moral of the story: Don't talk to Geoff.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

What does he know, he got 1 point :)

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

maybe he ment they were loaded for 1 & 2 :P hence 1 point

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
UtakHai
Veteran
Veteran

Post by UtakHai »

In the game against Thadrin.. Hell YES..in my last game against Hungaria, Hell NO...
Therefore I do not think they are loaded, but some complained about them, so we took them aside.
Anyway, I think if you use a dice cup properly there should be enough randomness.
Letting them just drop to the table without rotating is another story.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

10...always 10...
:P

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Beppe#2
Il Bunga Bunga Presidente

Post by Beppe#2 »

Dieci, dieci, dieci!!! :lol:

Mamma mia!!! Luca Toni!!!
Bobby from Latvia
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

i thought they were fine i snaked with them and rolled similar result as any other dice

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

UtakHai wrote:I think if you use a dice cup properly there should be enough randomness.
I think this sums it up. My thoughts on logoed dice is, they dont roll properly and tend to favour the symbol. If you use a dice cup it doesnt seem to matter that much. I used them alot this weekend and apart from the last game I didnt get too many high results, in the last game though I rolled 10 or higher on 8 consecutive aarmour and injury rolls, sorry Quermitt :)

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

I meant weighted more towards rolling the picture side, which is something common to all picture dice that are rolled by hand (hence why I'm happy for my opponents to use the "poo" dice!!).

As Gav says, as long as they're in a dice cup they seem to be fine.

Oh, and it wasn't meant to come across as "loaded" (as in deliberate) but "poorly weighted" (as a result of putting pictures on them).

I'm keeping them as a souvenir, like the infamous Newquaybowl and the insane Flamebowl dice :lol:

Vigfus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Vigfus »

Yes, Geoff, I know you didn't mean it as seriously weighted.

It's just, I think the dice are a nice souvenir and they're in the colors of my team, so I'd like to use them. I just don't want people complaining about me using loaded dice just because I like them.

With the dice being this nice I thought others would like to use them.

I frankly never have used a dice cup, just because I like the feel of dice rolling around in my hand. The need of course is that you let them roll onto the table. (I can tell you stories about a Frenchy (a Warmaster player) that whirled them around in his hand until he had the correct pictures facing up, to then flip them over. Let's just say it made for very long games and it really didn't help him in the end).

I am De Duvel, but you can call me Sjapie
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

It is just clear that some coaches like to bring only dice with the icon on the six and not the dice with the icon on the 1.

In Benelux, you see coaches playing the red mad hobbit dice and not the yellow ones.

This is clear that those coaches who take the icon-dice also believe in dice that roll towards the icon.

Just take normal dice or take a dice cup!!

UtakHai
Veteran
Veteran

Post by UtakHai »

Magictobe wrote:It is just clear that some coaches like to bring only dice with the icon on the six and not the dice with the icon on the 1.

In Benelux, you see coaches playing the red mad hobbit dice and not the yellow ones.

This is clear that those coaches who take the icon-dice also believe in dice that roll towards the icon.

Just take normal dice or take a dice cup!!
Almost the same as Frank and his B7 dice, the green ones have the icon on the 1, the yellow ones on the 6.
Guess what kind of dice you see more often in tournament play?

I got some nice dice as a present/trade during the EB and every single one had a icon on the 6-side.
As those tournament or league dice/ blocking dice will show up more often from now on (they are cheap to manufacture), tournament organizers should think about handing out the same range of dice to every attendee and make their use mandatory throughout the whole tourney (or maybe.. make using a dice cup mandatory.. you can flame me for that statement).
So no one can blame loaded or weighted dice use.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Last night I rolled my Eurobowl D8 1,000,000,000 times.

It's not loaded.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com