Eurobowl teams captains

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Eurobowl teams captains

Post by haktar »

Grumbledook wrote:It does somewhat defeat the point of having a national team if just the one player on it is from that country. If that happens it isn't really the Eurobowl any more in my eyes.
The objectives, i think, are to have the most players of the national possible, and the most countries.
Try to form a swiss, polish, or portuguese team and we will discuss after...

But i agree you, the better is to have the most representative teams.

Reason: ''
Trying to play bloodbowl.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I understand that, though 1 player is taking things too far

team of 8 players, over half should be from the country they are representing at least, so 5 players imo.

If they can't get a team together it isn't like there is a shortage of other tournaments to go to across europe ;]

Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dark Duke »

The rule has always been at least 6 players of the same country to avoid turning the Eurobowl into a just teams tournament instead of a nations tournament. I wouldn't change that rule for two main reasons:
>> I think there are enough changes this year :lol:
>> It would be unfair to the people that couldn't play previous years because they didn't accomplish this number.

Life is short, block fast.
kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

I agree with Grum here !)

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I also agree with Grum - with that rule, it's not the Eurobowl, it's just a teambowl.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Turin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Turin »

If just one national as captain is required, why not open it to any kind of team anyways? Where is the point in calling it "national Blood Bowl team of San Marino" because one guy is from there? I'm glad that there is the possibility to "hire mercenaries" as to play with a full team of 8 ppl, as it gives small countries like mine the possibility to participate even in bad years (when there is the possibility to get to the venue). But only requiring one guy means you can for example put together a second English team consisting of 7 English guys and the famous Polish plumber as Blood Bowler and call it Polish team. I don't think thats the idea, so I agree with Grum.

Blood Bowl ist ein Wintersport! Duda, Duda!

haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

Turin wrote:If just one national as captain is required, why not open it to any kind of team anyways? Where is the point in calling it "national Blood Bowl team of San Marino" because one guy is from there? I'm glad that there is the possibility to "hire mercenaries" as to play with a full team of 8 ppl, as it gives small countries like mine the possibility to participate even in bad years (when there is the possibility to get to the venue). But only requiring one guy means you can for example put together a second English team consisting of 7 English guys and the famous Polish plumber as Blood Bowler and call it Polish team. I don't think thats the idea, so I agree with Grum.
I agree you, and as it is said in the rule, the organizers want every captain to make is best to have the most representative team...

Trying to play bloodbowl.
daz
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daz »

Dark Duke wrote:The rule has always been at least 6 players of the same country to avoid turning the Eurobowl into a just teams tournament instead of a nations tournament. I wouldn't change that rule for two main reasons:
>> I think there are enough changes this year :lol:
>> It would be unfair to the people that couldn't play previous years because they didn't accomplish this number.
Just note that this rule hasn't be respected in 2008 and 2009 , that's why, we make it more flexible this year. We just count on captains to make their best.

€bowler
Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dark Duke »

daz wrote:
Dark Duke wrote:The rule has always been at least 6 players of the same country to avoid turning the Eurobowl into a just teams tournament instead of a nations tournament.
Just note that this rule hasn't be respected in 2008 and 2009 , that's why, we make it more flexible this year. We just count on captains to make their best.
I don't know about 2009 because I wasn't in Italy, but in 2008, when Spain organized it, that rule was respected.

daz
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daz »

Sorry Dark Duke, just take a look to 2008 swiss team and their 3 freebooters : the "rule" wasn't respected.
Honnestly, I don't mind these kind of bug are real issues to live a good eurobowl. Most of teams are composed of players from their nation, other details are not important in my opinion.

€bowler
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

EVERYONE ON THE LIST OF CAPTAINS, PLUS DAZ, SHOULD NOW HAVE ACCESS TO A SPECIAL SECTION ENTITLED "EUROBOWL ORGANISATION". IT SHOULD - ASSUMING I'VE NOT MESSED IT UP - BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FORUM. PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE IS A PROBLEM OR YOU CAN'T GET IN (ASSUMING YOU'RE A CAPTAIN OR ORGANISER).

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
kewan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kewan »

daz wrote:Sorry Dark Duke, just take a look to 2008 swiss team and their 3 freebooters : the "rule" wasn't respected.
Honnestly, I don't mind these kind of bug are real issues to live a good eurobowl. Most of teams are composed of players from their nation, other details are not important in my opinion.
You're wrong. We asked several times to Swiss captain, because we want to respect this "rule" They only play with 2 freebotters, at least they said to me that 6 players were from Switzerland (1 living in germany) and 2 were freeboters.

MAMMA MIA, MAMMA MIA, CARLOS TUNI!!!!!!!!
daz
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daz »

Are you sure?
Did you controll their identity cards? :lol:

At least I see 3 french friends on pictures but maybe are they hooligans? :orc:

http://img.over-blog.com/630x470-000000 ... 08-050.JPG

€bowler
Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dark Duke »

daz wrote:Are you sure?
Did you controll their identity cards? :lol:
Hahaha!! Maybe we should start thinking about it :lol:
daz wrote:At least I see 3 french friends on pictures but maybe are they hooligans? :orc:
I've been checking past e-mails and you're right, they weren't at least six 100% Swiss players. We wanted to respect that rule, that's why we didn't accept Portugal to play the Eurobowl. The Swiss team told us that they were forming a team and they knew that rule. Why in the end they were the exception has some story behind and I don't think that should be taken into consideration when talking about respecting that rule or not.

Knowing all the teams that said they were coming (Switzerland included), the Spanish team members paid upfront (or we were going to lose the chance of getting the place) for accommodation, meals and prizes and then we waited for the payments of the rest of the teams. Less than four weeks for the tournament, the Swiss team let us know that in the end they weren't six 100% Swiss players, that they had tried to be as Swiss as possible and that they had already bought the plane tickets. We accepted their explanations of being as Swiss as possible (at least the ones that weren't Swiss were living there for several years with plans of staying or that was what we were told) and accepted their participation in order to not lose a lot of money.

With that explanation I guess that you will understand that taking the Eurobowl of 2008 as an example of breaking the rule is not very accurate. If we organize the Eurobowl again, to avoid this situation, we will make sure to collect the money from the teams several months before, checking that they accomplish the 'at least 6 nationals rule', so there won't be any possibility of losing money.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Fwiw I thinl extended residency should be enough to count as a national.
Were I not playing for Scotland I would happily join a Swedish team (if you could persuade enough swedes to play offline...which I doubt.).
I'm not Swedish, and getting citizenship is expensive, a pita, and pretty much pointless as an EU citizen...but I have been living here for ten years.

As long as a player has a solid link to a nation it should be fine. We'll know if someone really tries to cheat, and they'll get knocked back (I would hope).

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.