daz
Veteran
Veteran

Eurobowl poll results

Post by daz »

Here are the results of polls voted by captains about eurobowl's ruleset:

2010 Pairing system (6 for, 4 against)
2010 skills choice ( 10 for, 0 against)
stunties rule canceled (8 against, 2 for)
2009 scoring system ( 6 for, 2 against)

Now rules according to the polls won't change until 17 october.

Final ruleset is online here:
http://www.ainpacte.org/eurobowl2010/in ... s&Itemid=2

Cheers

Reason: ''
€bowler
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Eurobowl poll results

Post by Niebling »

So we go with
2.Pairings: After round one (random pairing), Basic swiss system

might want to remove the Pairing rules on the page? or did I missunderstand something? :)

daz
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daz »

fixed

thanks ;)

€bowler
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

daz wrote:fixed

thanks ;)

Well, np :) but I am very sad we ended up with the Pairing system.... I am tempted to use a very bad word about it....

Standard Swiss draw would have made so much more sense

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

I suppose that's how democracy works - sometimes the result doesn't please everyone :-?

As someone who put forward the idea, shamelessly borrowed as it is from the warhammer & 40k "eurobowl", I'd be interested to here what makes it so bad.

Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

Podfrey wrote:I suppose that's how democracy works - sometimes the result doesn't please everyone :-?

As someone who put forward the idea, shamelessly borrowed as it is from the warhammer & 40k "eurobowl", I'd be interested to here what makes it so bad.

its bad because its just a fancy way of making everything random, there is no real tactic involved.

It does not "force" your team to think about what races to bring or offer any kind of motivation to think about your team race setup, its just random. I know it looks like there is tactic involved, but break it down it just random.

At least with the other system you knew that the person in front of you was having similar luck in the tournement so far.
And there was something "fun" in moving up and down on your tabel side depending on your preformence.

This system will just be time consuming, and in my head you could have just randomised all the teams setup for the same reslut. I might be wrong, and if so plz enlighten me :)

The Danish team put forward a system, also from Warhammer, where that was tactic involved.

It was a bit like the last part of the system we have now, exepct the choosen team where not random.

Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

btw as I read the above, we play with the boosted stunty right? if so the rule page should also reflect this I think

daz
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daz »

Niebling wrote:btw as I read the above, we play with the boosted stunty right? if so the rule page should also reflect this I think
The stunties rule is not used for eurobowl according to the poll.

Maybe you mean europen rule with a boosted races rule? Or is there a bug I did not see?

€bowler
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

Ah good :)

Well, I read
stunties rule canceled (8 against, 2 for)

as a vote to use the boosted stuntie rules or to cancel them. And that 8 voted to not cancel the rule, hence the rule would stand.

But glad to hear it :) I like the idea of boosting the stuntie teams, but plowing true Ogre teams would get old real fast ;)

daz
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daz »

ok this misunderstanding is over ;)

€bowler
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

Podfrey wrote: I'd be interested to here what makes it so bad.
And I would be interested in why (if so) you think its good, you never did reply to my other post, so I decided to break my criticism down a bit, here goes.

I would like to state that I am of the BB coach school that belives that random has its place in BB, if you want to play a game where luck is not a factor, go play Chess or Backgammon. But there is no need to add more random stuff, and even less so off the board. Random stuff on the kickoff tabel is fun, and meens that no, the best coach does not always win.
But why make the paring so random, it adds nothing of vaule to the tournement IMO. It just meens that the best players on a team might meet the worst player on the other team. I would rather have a system that added some tactial element to the tournemnt, so that you might have to consider your race setup. But that can be very hard to blance, so I much prefer a simpel swiss draw system. That way you know the person that wins the hole tournement is the person that has beaten all the other players of equal "skill".

About the current Pairing rules:

Match 1 is played between a random player on Team A and a random player on Team B.
Pure Random

Match 2 is the "bluff" round. Each captain secretly writes down one of his remaining players on a piece of paper (chosen, not random). The players identities are revealed simultaneously to complete the match-up.

The is worded so it sounds like there is some sort of tactic involve in this.. but there is not, its just as random as match 1

For Match 3, the captain of Team A randomly selects one of his remaining players. The captain of Team B then randomly selects two of his remaining players. The captain of Team A then picks one of the two players from Team B to complete the match-up.
This is also just an advanced way to make something random. The choice of what team to play with your team is just random, there will be very littel real tactic in the choice. Yes there might be a few situations where you can say, well ill let my Orcs play the Dwarfs because then they are out of the mix and my amazones wont get em... but its still just based on a randomness. The Match 3 is just a cleaver way to make sometimes random look like .. its less random.

Anyways, looking forward to the euro bowl a lot, but I had to get it out of my system that I absolutely hate this paring system.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Niebling wrote:Backgammon.
eh?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

sann0638 wrote:
Niebling wrote:Backgammon.
eh?
Its a game of skill trust me :) yes it has dices but its still a skill game, like poker is.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

I agree the picks system which has been voted in is pretty random. Though it doesn't completely remove skill - there is some decision making to be made by the captains.

I like it though. In effect it's unlikely to make that much difference to the overall character of the tourney (a purely random draw has been used before at Eurobowl). The one thing it will add is a bit of drama and theatre prior to the draw. It will allow the captains and teams to interact more than before.

So really the benefit is not in terms of the game mechanic but more the atmosphere and communciation between teams.

(and more to the point, whether we like it or not it has been chosen democratically)

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

Hey Pippy, thx for the feedback.

The fact thats its been choosen dosnt meen we should not debate it? there is always the next euro bowl. And all events needs feedback to improve. Maybe the system is great, and maybe it does add what you call atmosphere :) and if so then ill come here after the tournement and post how wrong I was.

I have never been to eurobowl before, but all other tourmenets I have played in there has been a rush to finsh the schudeul matches, and time between games where shot. I "fear" that this match up system will be time consuming, but since its been testet and there is mention of special cards I guess(hope) it wont be to bad.

I would have prefered that the matched where already drawn out, if it had to be random, and people could settel in quickly and start the games, and then I would make the atmosphere in the Bar :) :smoking:

Anyways, its going to be interesting, and I am very much looking forward to a weekend of nerdness and beer