Scandinavians at Eurobowl 2012?

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Scandinavians at Eurobowl 2012?

Post by Joemanji »

What are the chances of teams from Sweden, Norway or Finland for Eurobowl 2012? Denmark must be easier to get to than some of the other destinations. Is there enough interest in BB in those countries?

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Scandinavians at Eurobowl 2012?

Post by Ullis »

There's lots of Finnish BB players in Fumbbl and quite a few on TFF as well at least but the Finnish tournament scene is dead. I guess the chances for Finland, at least for a competitive team, aren't too good. Perhaps some league could draw up enough numbers for a team. How many people per team anyway? Maybe a combined team with Sweden if Sweden's having difficulties too. After all we used to be part of one big happy Sweden not too long ago (just a bit over 200 years!).

Beppe#2
Il Bunga Bunga Presidente

Post by Beppe#2 »

8 players per team. Anyway, you have 2 years to build a team :wink:

Mamma mia!!! Luca Toni!!!
Bobby from Latvia
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Take charge Esko! Declare yourself captain and lead Finland to glory! :D There seem to be a few Finnish NAF members, but I can't see a tournament since 2005. Perhaps restarting the Finnish Open for 2011 would be a good way to drum up some interest? Tournaments are addictive, and a local tournament is your gateway drug.

The Swedish must be able to get something together. Malmo to Copenhagen (if that is the venue) is under 45 minutes, including the ferry. The nearest tournament of any kind to me in the UK (apart from my own) is 1hr15m by train.

Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

Joemanji wrote:. Malmo to Copenhagen (if that is the venue) is under 45 minutes, including the ferry..

Ferry :roll: now a days people take the train :) less than 30 min from the central of copenhagen to malmø :)

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Even better! Come on you Swedies! :D

Sizzler
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sizzler »

Joemanji wrote:Tournaments are addictive, and a local tournament is your gateway drug.
Joe is the Mark Twain of Blood Bowl. Always quotable. :)

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I can think of a few Swedes who might travel, pretty sure there are a fair few players in Gothenburg and there's a decent sized league in Malmö, who could commute to the tourney (assuming Copenhagen as venue).

The major problem would be in motivating people to get their arses off their chairs in front of their computers. Most Swedes who I've encountered seem to be Fumbbl/Cyanide only. It's a gross generalisation...but sadly the reason I don't have a league to play in. A tourney was organised in the summer to which only twelve players came, and only three of them actually travelled from outside the city (including myself and Duckwing).

I'd step up, but I'd hope to be playing for Scotland again. I'm not Swedish, I just live here.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Ikterus is a very strong swedish coach from the MBBL.
Then again, most MBBL coaches have kids, so may not be all that interested in travelling.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

Eurobowl 2012 in Legoland :D

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Or Ikea! Free coffee, free creche, lots of excellent tables :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

sann0638 wrote:Or Ikea! Free coffee, free creche, lots of excellent tables :D
IKEA is swedish :pissed: if you want to host it at Ikea most countrys in the world have an Ikea I belive!

Ullis

Post by Ullis »

mepmuff wrote:Eurobowl 2012 in Legoland :D
This should help with solving the hard equation of having children and getting to a tournament.

Finland seems to suffer from the same problem as Sweden in getting people interested in tabletop tournaments. There's been a few tries in recent years but they've all fizzled due to lacklustre marketing and low amounts of interest. There was one during Finland's biggest roleplaying convention two years ago that had 16 participants in Helsinki. I think that was pretty ok given that there were lots of other stuff to choose from as well (such as other GW games tournaments). But I'm pretty sure that the convention drew people from elsewhere in Finland that wouldn't have bothered to travel otherwise. The tournament only lasted one day (actually half a day for most participants since only the 8 best placed players competed for a spot in the finals).

Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

The question would then be whether 8 people would bother to go. Team Holland has been suffering from the same. If there's not enough you could probably hire some foreigners to help you out. But don't think too much of that, one of ours became NAF#1 at this years Eurobowl, but we still ended last of the real countries ;). Still, teams with people who play a lot on line will do great as these are usually the players who play a lot. So don't worry about not being competitive (said the guy from the country of wooden shoes and wooden spoons). If there's no Finns with real teams, a timely post on this forum may solve that problem. I'm sure there's people willing to lend out a team if it means more people at Eurobowl.

Nuffle Sucks!
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Anyways there are ALOT of dansih coaches to fill up any spots that the other scandinavians might lack. I was talking to Ikterus about eurobowl, as I am a swedish citizen. Guess we just need to do alot of lobbying on fumbbl and cyanide!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden