Eurobowl 2012 Proposed ruleset

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Eurobowl 2012 Proposed ruleset

Post by Tourach »

Well, the tier-extra-skill(s) have been used in Danish tournaments for quite some time now (thanks to plasmoid ofc...) and does make some difference. The tournament rules already differ from normal rules and are already skewing the game in some teams favor, the tier extra skills closes the gap. If you ask me Undead and WE should have a nerf for tournament play, but that will never happen...

Reason: ''
I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tourach wrote: tournament rules already differ from normal rules and are already skewing the game in some teams favor
I agree with this point in principle, but you know the funny thing though...stats from NAF and FUMBBL/Cyanide show very similar performance for the teams, so it appears the distortion between tournament and league performance is smaller than we may think.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

DoubleSkulls wrote:
Tourach wrote: tournament rules already differ from normal rules and are already skewing the game in some teams favor
I agree with this point in principle, but you know the funny thing though...stats from NAF and FUMBBL/Cyanide show very similar performance for the teams, so it appears the distortion between tournament and league performance is smaller than we may think.
okay well there are several threads on the subject of tiers and which teams are better short/long term etc. there are several long term teams that don't do well in tournament play and vice versa. But as I mentioned before, i guess as it is a team tournament, all teams can bring the "top" races.
I guess my main point is that the rules has been tempered with already.

another thing i thought of was that most NAF tourńaments play with Swiss-draw evening the stats out, where the lower tier teams might be even worse of statistically if this was not the case.

A.k.a MissSweden
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

One other thing we (the danes) are discussing when choosing races for a turnament is: How well do this team do against a strip ball wardancer ... are we the only ones. Damn the current meta game.

A.k.a MissSweden
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Very true, I know I do.

The way I'd fix that would be to adjust the tournament rules so you were less likely to see them (e.g. Strip Ball uses two skill choices, counts as a double).

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Or remove dodge from them (in exchange for fend, whink whink plasmoid) so they are more likely to be taken down and not super ball-carriers in addition to everything else.
I only see strip ball as a problem on the woodelf team, other teams that use it like skaven or slann have other problems thet makes the easier to deal with (no block, low ma or low str and no leap). The skill ain't the problem, but the skill on a wardancer is, just shifting the entire metagame away from a lot of races you could play decently if you hadn't an "auto-loss" against WE.

A.k.a MissSweden
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Not to take this too far off topic, but you've already got the precedent in the tournament rules so why not extend it to comparatively degrade the tier 0 teams? So for example Undead/Woodies/Dwarves/etc get no skills, rest of tier 1 gets 1 skill, 2 skills for tier 2 and 3 skills for tier 3.

I don't like the idea myself, but its in keeping with what you've already done.

One of the concerns I have is that "narrowed tier" tournaments like this one count just the same for NAF rankings as every other tournament. However that is a NAF problem, not a EuroBowl one.

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

DoubleSkulls wrote: One of the concerns I have is that "narrowed tier" tournaments like this one count just the same for NAF rankings as every other tournament. However that is a NAF problem, not a EuroBowl one.
Yes from a statistical point of view, this is problem for NAF ...

A.k.a MissSweden
Casper
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Casper »

Tourach wrote:
DoubleSkulls wrote: One of the concerns I have is that "narrowed tier" tournaments like this one count just the same for NAF rankings as every other tournament. However that is a NAF problem, not a EuroBowl one.
Yes from a statistical point of view, this is problem for NAF ...
agreed

- Casper
commish of www.arosbb.dk

Post by Afroman »

Another way to go(I think it has been mentioned before) would be to force all teams to have at least one team from each tier. That way whatever the rules regarding the tiers are, they will affect all and not only those that choose to pick or not pick top teams.

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Afroman wrote:Another way to go(I think it has been mentioned before) would be to force all teams to have at least one team from each tier. That way whatever the rules regarding the tiers are, they will affect all and not only those that choose to pick or not pick top teams.
Hmmm yeah well, this would mean you would have 6 top teams and two punching bags-teams meeting each other in each match (in theory at least) ... So I am highly against this.

Allowing the tier 2 and 3 to choose 2 skills for the same players (the bonus skill + one chosen one) might be an idea, and this just to make them be able to take a block/dodge + sure hands player to deal with the woodelf team ;). This would open up for some teams that one would never choose bacause of the current meta game. I cannot fathom the consequences of CPOMB bigguys though, so it is probably a really bad idea... Nerf the woodies...

A.k.a MissSweden
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Did a Wood Elf do you a wrong in a past life, or something? ;)

They're no worse than other really good teams. I'd rather we didn't go too whacky with the rules with extra skills and things, but I guess we'll see. I presume there will be a captain's vote to finalize things again?

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Purplegoo wrote:Did a Wood Elf do you a wrong in a past life, or something? ;)
No, as described earlier the woodelves in the current metagame, just ruins the choice of several teams and limits the options for races to play...

A.k.a MissSweden
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I think you significantly over-egg / over-think that, to be honest. The idea you base a whole selection around one race is bonkers!

Of all the nations to be worried about some pansy Elves! ;)

Anyway, enough off topic from me. Carry on!

Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

While the Woodelf Dwarf and Undead are strong I know a purpleGoo that won Strong bowl at evesham, with Humans finishing above woodElfs, my Skaven, Lycos Skaven and Podfreys Dwarfs.. Humans are not ment to have the same team strength yet playing Wood Elfs doesnt mean you have a given win.

I believe Skaven finished top at the World cup.

Yes I agree some teams are stronger than others this is what makes Blood bowl what it is, personaly I rather play Wood Elfs with my Dark Elfs than I would Orcs. yet I know lizard players that want other wise. alot is down to the draw too.

answer to a Strip ball war dancer is a Dark Elf runner with a friend nearby :D

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_