How does a nation qualify?

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Re: How does a nation qualify?

Post by Leipziger »

Casper wrote:IMO I wouldn't matter if a guy played for another UK nation in a previous tournament.
Just put a team together of 8 coaches with at least 6 Welsh or nearly Welsh and come to Copenhagen. :-)

Maybe we will see teams from Serbia and even from San Marino with some Italian freebooters and IMO Italians living close to San Marino also qualify (the formula 1 GP at Imola was considdered from San Marino while the one at Monza was the Italian one).
Anyone know if there is a Serbia team in the offing? I have yugo blood :D

Reason: ''
Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

I hearby declare that Alex is captain of the Serbian team....

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Topper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Topper »

To clarify a few of the Q´s.
I and Casper are probably the ones who decide the most this year (Though always together with the community - that is the key to remember here.
Everyone hopes to see as many countries represented here as possible - and that´s where the emphasis is placed.
However the rules are here to prevent someone joining with his friends as team "San Marino" or similar.
So it should be seen like this: 6 guys that are strongly attached to a country or descend from that (nearly as the official national teams do).
Having played for one nation as a player or a freebooter does not lock you in any way... Ever. (If say, you are born in Sweden but have lived in DK for 20 yrs or so - then you can always represent one or the other nation).

"I thought it was FIFA eligibility plus residency, so if you're from, or have been 'naturalised' (5+ years?) then you qualify. The whole ethos is to allow all countries to compete where possible, whilst at the same time preventing one bloke from a country (eg through grandparents) and his mates."
This is as close as you get to a definition of the rules yes.

In case of any Q´s PM me and I´ll try to sort things out as fast as possible for you.
Cheers
Topper

Oh yeah and if you can´t make it to a team then join the individual side tourney and see what all the magic is about... Nearly first hand ;)

KFoged
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by KFoged »

Leipziger wrote:
Casper wrote:IMO I wouldn't matter if a guy played for another UK nation in a previous tournament.
Just put a team together of 8 coaches with at least 6 Welsh or nearly Welsh and come to Copenhagen. :-)

Maybe we will see teams from Serbia and even from San Marino with some Italian freebooters and IMO Italians living close to San Marino also qualify (the formula 1 GP at Imola was considdered from San Marino while the one at Monza was the Italian one).
Anyone know if there is a Serbia team in the offing? I have yugo blood :D
Casper have a email from one trying to put together a Serbian team ;) i will try to get it for ya Alex

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The qualification through grandparents is only relevant to footballers from the United Kingdom. We've all got UK passports but may be Welsh, Scottish etc and the rule is in place with FIFA to ensure there is some sort of qualification for England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland and the teams are not open to any UK citizen. I don't think this applies anywhere else in Europe, but the rule would seem to make sense to keep for UK teams at EuroBowl.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

Any chance of creating a Kingdom of Mercia?...Outer Mercia to be exact!

"In Dodge We Trust"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I declare independence for the Shire.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Notorious_jtb
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Notorious_jtb »

Hello there!

So, Team Canada is back home, fresh from our trip over the pond, so fresh in fact that 5/6 of the team took part in the BongoBowl/Power of 1 tournament in Montreal last weekend. Not only did they attend but they took the podium by storm. (I was the lone weakling who stayed away, although I did move house....)

Now, we heard from a number of people (some with moustaches) that Eurobowl may not be as restricted in terms of team access. So much less restricted that a non-European team might be allowed to attend.

We had no idea this might occur but if it is true we would very much like to receive official confirmation somehow so we can look at bringing a team. This will not be simple so I don't want to organise it if we can't get in.

Thanks to all we met/played against in Amsterdam! In case you wonder where we lurk, the Canadian community, particularly Eastern Canada, hangs out on thenaf.net rather than here, for historical reasons only (i.e. that is where our trash talking began).

Cheers,
Joe

p.s. At risk of eliminating Team Canada based on being in CONCACAF, I think that following the statutes of the global paragon of virtue that is FIFA is a truly excellent idea.

Mistake not my absence for weakness...............
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Blame Canada !!!!

:D the more the marrier if you ask me, as long as it as one team per country (or part of country, damn GB...).

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Casper
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Casper »

I agree with Tourach. I would love to have a Canadian team attend the Eurobowl.
But who decides? We Danes organize the tournament next year, but we didn't "invent" it, we just carry the torch for a while. Does NAF have anything to say in this matter? Who does? We wouldn't want to step on anybody's toes.

- Casper
commish of www.arosbb.dk

Post by Topper »

Casper wrote:I agree with Tourach. I would love to have a Canadian team attend the Eurobowl.
But who decides? We Danes organize the tournament next year, but we didn't "invent" it, we just carry the torch for a while. Does NAF have anything to say in this matter? Who does? We wouldn't want to step on anybody's toes.
I agree completely with Casper here. (the more the merrier and that it is not for us to decide)
Usually it is the community that does this. And I will take this discussion with the people who have a say in this historically (at first - then a more open discussion later on IF there´s consensus on the matter that it could work).
We had a short meeting at the WC (just the ones we could bring together) to hear and people felt it was a rather big decision. It´s not so much about what one self feels as much as what the tournament is about.
I have however been asked to wait with this discussion for a few weeks by the NAF.

So will do - but when the time is up I´ll start a discussion on it.

Best
Topper

Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

Tourach wrote:Blame Canada !!!!

:D the more the marrier if you ask me, as long as it as one team per country (or part of country, damn GB...).

+1

Notorious_jtb
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Notorious_jtb »

Topper wrote:
Casper wrote:I agree with Tourach. I would love to have a Canadian team attend the Eurobowl.
I agree completely with Casper here. (the more the merrier and that it is not for us to decide)
Usually it is the community that does this. And I will take this discussion with the people who have a say in this historically (at first - then a more open discussion later on IF there´s consensus on the matter that it could work).
We had a short meeting at the WC (just the ones we could bring together) to hear and people felt it was a rather big decision. It´s not so much about what one self feels as much as what the tournament is about.
I have however been asked to wait with this discussion for a few weeks by the NAF.

So will do - but when the time is up I´ll start a discussion on it.

Best
Topper
That sounds reasonable to make a broader based decision on this. I imagine it might even take until after the election.......

Anyway, if we can enter I will try and organise a team.

lucasluckydelux
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lucasluckydelux »

Podfrey wrote:I thought it was FIFA eligibility plus residency...
Why FIFA?
Isn't Australian Football much closer to Blood Bowl?
http://www.aussierulesinternational.com ... rld/europe

Notorious_jtb
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Notorious_jtb »

lucasluckydelux wrote:
Podfrey wrote:I thought it was FIFA eligibility plus residency...
Why FIFA?
Isn't Australian Football much closer to Blood Bowl?
http://www.aussierulesinternational.com ... rld/europe
FIFA has a rules system for determining eligibility of "countries" to participate in international tournaments.

So instead of debating the topic it is simple to defer to something that already exists, i.e. FIFA's international football team rankings:
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankin ... index.html