Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: How does a nation qualify?

Post by nazgob »

Valen wrote:I think Nazgob was trying to be funny
Emphasis on trying.

Do you qualify if your mother used to live in Wales?

Reason: ''
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

I've been to Wales.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I would have thought watching Gavin & Stacey was enough ;)

For FIFA the general rule is you need to be a citizen of the country you play for. Found this on the internet for the UK:
The national teams of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are, however, a special case because these four “home countries” are part of one national state, the United Kingdom. There is no such thing as English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish citizenship.

The associations of these four countries entered an agreement regarding international eligibility in 1993 which provides that a player holding a British passport is eligible to play for the country of his birth, the country of the birth of either of his natural parents or the country of birth of any of his natural grandparents. If the player, his natural parents and his natural grandparents were born outside the U.K., he may play for the home country of his choice.
So if granny or grandad was Welsh or foreign you can play for Wales.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I'm not sure there are clearly defined rules that carry over from year to year. I think at one point last year the French suggested only the Captain needed to qualify (but I think that might have been voted down). But the general rules from previous understanding seem to be FIFA eligibility and minimum 6 qualifying players.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

I thought it was FIFA eligibility plus residency, so if you're from, or have been 'naturalised' (5+ years?) then you qualify. The whole ethos is to allow all countries to compete where possible, whilst at the same time preventing one bloke from a country (eg through grandparents) and his mates.

Casper
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Casper »

The rule is somewhat loose. I would like to see as many national teams as possible, so in my opinion you qualify as a welsh if you are born there, have lived there (or just near), have parents from there and so on.
As for the rules on the http://www.eurobowl.eu, I tried to write what have been the generel consensus that last years - perhaps we should make the wording even more open?

- Casper
commish of www.arosbb.dk
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

The associations of these four countries entered an agreement regarding international eligibility in 1993 which provides that a player holding a British passport is eligible to play for the country of his birth, the country of the birth of either of his natural parents or the country of birth of any of his natural grandparents. If the player, his natural parents and his natural grandparents were born outside the U.K., he may play for the home country of his choice. Our understanding is that once a player has played for one of the home countries, even if it is only a friendly match, the 1993 agreement precludes him playing for another home country. The FIFA rule change for players under 21 must be followed in the U.K., however. Under U.K. law, a player (or anyone, for that matter) who was born abroad becomes eligible for a British passport after five years of lawful residence in the country, and he thus becomes eligible to play for one of the home countries provided he has not played for another national side in official competition.

this is the full bit found on the web. it also states if you play for a country in the UK you cannot play for another in the UK.

does this firstly mean I am to be Team Wales now regardless as we was Team Wales in the World Cup?

Also this may effect freebooters as once they have played for Team Wales they can no longer represent Team Scotland or England.

one of the world cup winning side was interested in Freebooting but am unsure how he feels for Team England and his chances.

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

double post

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Casper
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Casper »

IMO I wouldn't matter if a guy played for another UK nation in a previous tournament.
Just put a team together of 8 coaches with at least 6 Welsh or nearly Welsh and come to Copenhagen. :-)

Maybe we will see teams from Serbia and even from San Marino with some Italian freebooters and IMO Italians living close to San Marino also qualify (the formula 1 GP at Imola was considdered from San Marino while the one at Monza was the Italian one).

- Casper
commish of www.arosbb.dk
Veteran

Post by lucasluckydelux »

Podfrey wrote:I thought it was FIFA eligibility plus residency...
Just being curious... why FIFA?
Isn't Australian Football much closer to Blood Bowl?
http://www.aussierulesinternational.com ... rld/europe
If you check in detail the list of the countries allowed to play you'll find out why am I asking :)

Turin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Turin »

@hawca: The World Cup is a totally different matter. It does not require a team to be "the national team" although team allocations worked along national borders. Some Danish fellas wouldn't be allowed on the Eurobowl at all after playing for Argentina :P Freebooters are a whole nother issues, and a mercenary Englishman playing for Scotland does not count as Scottish further on.

I'm against a too laissez faire policy concerning team composition (like last year's proposition of only the captain having to be a national), but if you can set up a team that consists of at least 6 players with a strong personal link to Wales, I don't think there would be too many complaints. FIFA rules should only be used as guidelines in the special context of the UK's countries. Personally I'd like to see a Team Liechtenstein some day, but at the moment it seems we have to settle with one principality only :wink:

Blood Bowl ist ein Wintersport! Duda, Duda!

Walgis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Walgis »

Hi all, its my first post here :)

I'm really looking forward to Euro cup!! I'll try to create a team from Lithuania. Huh? Lithuania?! YES!!!
(you hear about Lithuania for the first time? Wiki )
It will be hard to gather 8 players but i will try :)

mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

welcome and I hope you'll pull it off!

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
Walgis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Walgis »

We have a nice legue going on (25 people). There will be people that would like to play in euro cup but, the problem in our country is figures :) only 4-6 has them ;) Good thing there's still time to correct that :)

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

@Hawca - If someone freeboots for you it does not mean he cant play for his own country a a later stage is selected.

Hangus played for Scotland 2 years on the trot as our freebooter because of last minute drop outs. He then won the Eurobowl last year with England

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!