Eurobowl NAF rated?

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Re: Eurobowl NAF rated?

Post by kithor2002 »

This Year we make an open election for the German Team. Every German coach who is willing and able to play has to write it on a topic in the NAF Forum in the German section. After the end of may the team captain is voted and he may elect his team members out of the volunteers. So I think this a possibility to call it open format.
Nethertheless I wont bother if it will be a Non-NAF tournament as I played for the Team and not for my ranking (as I did on the WC).

Reason: ''
Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
kewan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kewan »

Spanish team is an open selection this year

MAMMA MIA, MAMMA MIA, CARLOS TUNI!!!!!!!!
kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

Short update:
Sputnik is elected for Team captain and he will choose his team within the next weeks :wink:

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

Oranje's selection method is easy: who wants to go? Hopefully we'll reach 8

Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Schotland and Germany: Where is the democratic part if the Captains get to pick the team? The only democratic thing is picking the Team Captain. I can imagine a system where I want to go to EB with my friends, so we all appoint the same Captain who picks us all to go..... Bye bye democracy. :-?

I've always been against the making EB NAF sanctioned for the obvious reasons. Not that I give a toss about the Ranking, but in principle, sanctioning this still is not a good thing.

Having a side event does not change this. Only the side event is open, EB is not, no matter what you decide or how you put it in writing.

Ask yourself, does EB really need sanctioning? Do you really need those points to be calculated in the NAF ranking?

For what it's worth, you can sanction it for my part. It doesn't matter to me in the end, but out of theory and principles, I am against it.

Belgium has a system that looks very good. There is one flaw: I read a lot about having to play this to get the needed points to be able to go.... this will effect other tournaments, just to be able to go and playing style. That should not be happening, but it will inevitably.

Anyways, forgive an old man his ramblings, enjoy Eurobowl, because that is all that matters. :D

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
inoculator
Experienced
Experienced

Post by inoculator »

Quick explanation re: the situation for Team Scotland. We have a very small pool of players able or willing to travel to events.

I believe we have never had a team at Eurobowl without at least one Freebooter. So it's pretty much whoever wants to go can play.

Hope this helps clear up our lack of "Democracy".

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Thought it might be worth reiterating the NAF’s position on nationally (or regionally) representative events (also see the new Tournament Approval Document, viewable via the NAF forums).

These tournaments around the globe are very often big events attracting lots of interest and discussion e.g. Eurobowl, AusBowl. As NAF TD I am very happy for the NAF to be involved with these important events. So if TOs want to submit their tournaments then we’re very happy to consider them.

In order for us to rank these events, nations (or regions) need to show that the teams they have put forward are indeed competing on behalf of the nation (or region) they purport to represent. Some sort of consensus is required within each area about how the team is selected. A captain elected by NAF members from his country as a selector seems like one good way of doing this.

In the case of Eurobowl, the Danish organisers have submitted the tournament for approval. Provided the above criteria are met, then I will be happy to approve!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

inoculator wrote:Quick explanation re: the situation for Team Scotland. We have a very small pool of players able or willing to travel to events.

I believe we have never had a team at Eurobowl without at least one Freebooter. So it's pretty much whoever wants to go can play.

Aye, but what would happen if you DID have 12 players who want to go. Where is democracy in that case? 1 Person choosing is not democratic, even if that 1 person was elected by the majority as I explained in my first post.

Fortunatly for you Team Scotland will never be complete will it.;)

Topper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Topper »

Draco - what do you mean that there won´t be Democracy that way?
Isn´t that just as we do with politicians - representative democrazy ;)

Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Topper wrote:Draco - what do you mean that there won´t be Democracy that way?
Isn´t that just as we do with politicians - representative democrazy ;)
Let's say there are 15 players who want to go. Eight of them form a group of their own. A Captain is chosen. 8 votes elect that Captain and then that Captain chooses himself and the other seven of his friends who obviously voted for him. The other seven, no matter how nice persons they might be, will not get picked for the team.

It's an extreme example maybe, but very possible and if that is democratic......

And who says politicians are democratic Topper (I read the wink;))? But we won't go in to that because then I would have to moderate my own posts! :lol:

I do dare tell you that I democratically decided you will play Halflings in Amsterdam! :lol: :wink:

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Hi Draco,

I understand (and support) your theoretical argument, however we are fortunate that in practice this has never happened and players have arrived at an amicable agreement. The only year something like this nearly came to pass was the non-German attendance a few years ago.

In some respects the Eurobowl nations are still feeling their way around the logistics of selection (England have been improving the selection policy for the last couple of years) and I think as long as there are voices like yours to help guide decisions then that is of benefit to all. That said, I don't believe there is a definite answer that will suit all nations perfectly, so we should allow each a certain leeway to define their own method.

Keep up the vigilance!

G

inoculator
Experienced
Experienced

Post by inoculator »

Draco wrote:
inoculator wrote:Quick explanation re: the situation for Team Scotland. We have a very small pool of players able or willing to travel to events.

Aye, but what would happen if you DID have 12 players who want to go. Where is democracy in that case? 1 Person choosing is not democratic, even if that 1 person was elected by the majority as I explained in my first post.

Fortunatly for you Team Scotland will never be complete will it.;)
I'd already given some thought to the selection criteria for our team if we had an excess of players wanting to play. Including going as a non-playing captain if it came down to it.

Would have been looking at making some of the UK tournaments qualifiers & basing my selection on the results. So decision would have mostly be based on merit rather than democracy.

I'd also discussed that I was keen to offer any guys who'd never travelled before an opportunity to go if they really wanted as I've found that once people go to 1 tourney they're keen to go back. This would hopefully expand our pool of travelers for the future.

To be honest it would be a nice problem to have as currently I'm in the position of still being short of a full team.

Hopefully have a confirmed team very soon though. Thanks for your concern though.

Topper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Topper »

inoculator wrote: I'd also discussed that I was keen to offer any guys who'd never travelled before an opportunity to go if they really wanted as I've found that once people go to 1 tourney they're keen to go back. This would hopefully expand our pool of travelers for the future.
Thumbs up and spot on :)

Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

Team Wales until recently have had no input, this year I was told I am captain as the drive behind team Wales, then I pick the remaining 7 places based on the following

1. You have welsh connections
2. Your willing to travel and play for team Wales

It has been a struggle but we have got there.

Maybe next year It will require selections

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Draco wrote: Aye, but what would happen if you DID have 12 players who want to go. Where is democracy in that case? 1 Person choosing is not democratic, even if that 1 person was elected by the majority as I explained in my first post.
Well this is exactly how democracy works ...The people chooses what they think is the best candidate(s) to rule and the rulers then f**k the people over...

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden