Future Hosts - a five point plan

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Future Hosts - a five point plan

Post by Geggster »

I mentioned this in the "Future Hosts" thread but idea for agreeing who is in contention for the next Eurobowl.

1) List all countries attending current Eurobowl that have not previously hosted.
2) Check countries have at least 6 nationals playing.
3) Ask countries to excuse themselves if they don't want to be in contention for hosting it.
4) Check whether there are at least 4 nations eligible - and if not, readmit nations to eligiblity that have hosted previously to make up the potential nations to 4, starting with the most distant hosts, currently the Dutch (assuming they fulfill points 2 & 3).
5) Announce to the room the nations that are in contention for next hosts and keep reminding people.

Some of this can be agreed pre-event here at TFF, but would be finalised at the Captains' Meeting. It might also be considered that you could have a shortlist of 5 rather than 4, but that readmits previous hosts whilst there are still 4 nations willing to host that haven't previously.

This way nations are only readmitted to eligibility through need to keep the next hosting competitive rather than an arbitrary timeframe, we will start each event with a shortlist of prospective nations that everyone can be clear on and it also means that nations that have never hosted (but want to), are always in with a shout of hosting, but never get it just for showing up.

List of previous hosts in order of time since last hosted: Netherlands, Germany, England, Spain, Italy, France, Denmark.

Reason: ''
Geggster

Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when they find out, you're a mile away...... and you have their shoes.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Re: Future Hosts - a five point plan

Post by Pipey »

Geggster wrote:I mentioned this in the "Future Hosts" thread but idea for agreeing who is in contention for the next Eurobowl.

1) List all countries attending current Eurobowl that have not previously hosted. 2) Check countries have at least 6 nationals playing. 3) Ask countries to excuse themselves if they don't want to be in contention for hosting it.
Agreed it’s really important that this is decided before each Eurobowl, and relevant captains (and their communities) consider very carefully whether they will be able to host the event at all, and if so who is prepared to take responsibility. If not they should say at the outset. I like the ‘at least 6 nationals’ rule too. I assume this is decided on broadly the same basis as would qualify someone to play for a national team in sport i.e. family links are OK /people who have been resident in a country a long time (common sense being allowed to prevail of course).
Geggster wrote: 4) Check whether there are at least 4 nations eligible - and if not, readmit nations to eligiblity that have hosted previously to make up the potential nations to 4, starting with the most distant hosts, currently the Dutch (assuming they fulfill points 2 & 3).
I guess that's more controversial. What do the nations who haven't hosted think? Might be a bit unfair if one of the big guns rumbles back in ahead of a worthy potential host. See where you're coming from though. Some way of starting the cycle again would be helpful.
Geggster wrote: 5) Announce to the room the nations that are in contention for next hosts and keep reminding people.

Some of this can be agreed pre-event here at TFF, but would be finalised at the Captains' Meeting. It might also be considered that you could have a shortlist of 5 rather than 4, but that readmits previous hosts whilst there are still 4 nations willing to host that haven't previously.

This way nations are only readmitted to eligibility through need to keep the next hosting competitive rather than an arbitrary timeframe, we will start each event with a shortlist of prospective nations that everyone can be clear on and it also means that nations that have never hosted (but want to), are always in with a shout of hosting, but never get it just for showing up.

List of previous hosts in order of time since last hosted: Netherlands,Germany,England,Spain, Italy,France,Denmark.
Obviously one for the captains to debate at the captains meeting. Guessing captains would want to gather info and opinions prior to that.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

This seems a great way of resolving this issue. Clear and simple.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Tripleskull
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Tripleskull »

Pippy wrote:
Geggster wrote: 4) Check whether there are at least 4 nations eligible - and if not, readmit nations to eligiblity that have hosted previously to make up the potential nations to 4, starting with the most distant hosts, currently the Dutch (assuming they fulfill points 2 & 3).
I guess that's more controversial. What do the nations who haven't hosted think? Might be a bit unfair if one of the big guns rumbles back in ahead of a worthy potential host. See where you're coming from though. Some way of starting the cycle again would be helpful.
I have the same thought as Pippy but on the other hand it is not necessarily fair that all nations hosts equally many times.

I like the simplicity of geggsters proposal but I might prefer a solution with a bonus for newer having hosted. Maybe the first tie breaker could be the time since last hosting.

Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

Well this could lead to countries that will not be able to host eurobowl.

For example. My excuses if countries feel that they are let out of the picture.

You need 4 countries to be eligible.

Next time : Belgium, Finland and Switzerland. No four countries (because for example the other ones say that it is not possible for them) so The Netherlands come back in. No real problem because the Dutch cannot play Blood Bowl (as we all know :wink: :wink: , wink wink nodge nodge say no more say no more)
Belgium wins the spot to host (oh, Magictobe, that ego of yours ... :smoking: )

Next time : Finland, Switzerland, The Netherlands and Germany in contest to host. (No problem because we all know .... :roll: ) No there is a problem. The Germans can play bloodbowl. It becomes very hard for small countries to be able to host because this year it is the germans, next year it is Engeland .....

So, there must be some kind of bonus for smaller countries that never hosted.

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

The amount of eligible nations you may need can be discussed at length (I said 4, but 3 could be a solution too), but my suggestion is borne from getting a proposal that is:

* simple
* ensures competition for being the next host
* and means nations that don't want to host have an established process for disqualifying themselves (there was at least one nation last time that were worried about how they would "turn down the honour").

My proposal does mean that nation x, which would like to host, but isn't necessarily that strong, may find that stronger countries start getting readmitted before they get a chance to host. That is where the eligible nations number needs to be set at an appropriate number.

Of course, you may argue that competition for the next event is less important than giving everyone a shout at hosting. In which case, we should allow teams to formally disqualify themselves from hosting before the event, and let every nation host before we readmit any nations to the cycle.

Geggster

Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when they find out, you're a mile away...... and you have their shoes.
Topper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Topper »

Geggster wrote:The amount of eligible nations you may need can be discussed at length (I said 4, but 3 could be a solution too), but my suggestion is borne from getting a proposal that is:

* simple
* ensures competition for being the next host
* and means nations that don't want to host have an established process for disqualifying themselves (there was at least one nation last time that were worried about how they would "turn down the honour").
I support that notion strongly
Geggster wrote:My proposal does mean that nation x, which would like to host, but isn't necessarily that strong, may find that stronger countries start getting readmitted before they get a chance to host. That is where the eligible nations number needs to be set at an appropriate number. Of course, you may argue that competition for the next event is less important than giving everyone a shout at hosting. In which case, we should allow teams to formally disqualify themselves from hosting before the event, and let every nation host before we readmit any nations to the cycle
I think this is where the real beef lies. Do we want every nation who is willing to host - host before resetting the cycle - or should it be possible to win the event?
I am in limbo in that matter personally, as both sides have something appealing to it.

Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

Topper wrote: I think this is where the real beef lies. Do we want every nation who is willing to host - host before resetting the cycle - or should it be possible to win the event?
I am in limbo in that matter personally, as both sides have something appealing to it.
You don't have to be great in Blood Bowl to be great in hosting an event
AND
Being great in Blood Bowl does not ensure to be great in hosting an event!!!

Netsmurf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Netsmurf »

I would prefer to keep a running cycle between those that have not hosted, but want to. And in the end this will give it to one nation with certainty, but that is not a problem for me. I love to get around in Europe and see how others do stuff, drink and taste the local beer and foods.

Then when all that want to host have hosted, include all again - even Italy :wink:

Lard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lard »

Sweden wants to host and since we are winning the EuroBowl this year its really not a discussion... :D

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

I think I'm with Netsmurf on this, as long as Geggster's points 1, 2, 3 and 5 are met.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

With Belgium, Finland, Hungary, Portugal, Scotland, Sweden, Switzerland and Wales all potentially eligible - and more nations joining over the next few years, hopefully it will be a while before we have only a few nations that haven't hosted.

Geggster

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

How about amending point 4 slightly by adding this.

From the list of eligible nations, the top 4 finishing nations qualify for the potential host list. The captains from each participating nation gets one vote to select the following years host nation.

For example

Eligible nations - finishing position

Scotland - 9
Sweden - 4
Belgium - 3
Finland - 10
Hungary - 8
Portugal - 11
Switzerland - 6
Wales - 97

Potential host

Belgium
Sweden
Switzerland
Hungary

Then all the cpatains have a meeting on the Sunday night and each votes for one of them 4.

This would mean in 8 years time when the eligible nations are

Germany - 1
Scotland - 9
Wales - 134
Portugal - 8

They would all become potentials but the captains can then basically vote for one of the other three to ensure everyone gets a decent chance to host?

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

Hey I know Wales beat Scotland but how did we do so bad. Lol

Seriously though in Wales we are that committed we have prepared a euro bowl incase we get the opportunity. Down to the venue hotels and beer ;-)
Just need to find 8 welsh people that can play blood bowl

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
BlackOrc
Experienced
Experienced

Post by BlackOrc »

I have the same problem as Magictobe. Netherlands,Germany,England,Spain, Italy,France,Denmark are those who hosted already. When there will be only 3 nations not-yet-hosted, every year thereafter they have to face competitors like Germany, Italy...
I assume they became the last 3 because they are not very strong players. You can say: be competetive for hosting. But not against the abovementioned nations, please.

And I am not only saying this, because Hungary's best place is last but one so far, hehe.

As soon as I discovered that this BloodBowl thing was true,
In all of a sudden I found myself in love with the World.
(inspired by Ministry)