Setting up a team Ireland for eurobowl 18

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Setting up a team Ireland for eurobowl 18

Post by straume »

rolo wrote: Anyway ... if there is a united Ireland team at Eurobowl 2018, I can not imagine players on that team being banned from a future Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland team. The goal of the Eurobowl committee is to run a tournament, they have a basic amount of common sense and will certainly do what they need to support new teams.
+1!

I am confident that this would never be a problem.

There is also the case of Team Norway, where former Scottish player Zulu moved to Norway and started rounding up local nerds to form a brand new Team Norway and hence spreading the Eurobowl-love. Not a problem!

Reason: ''
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I would qualify whatever for a Team Ireland - my Gran's from Eire, my Grandad's from the Northern Ireland BUT my lot is happily cast with my motherland Scotland.

However, if I can help Team Ireland in anyway (I now live less than an hour from Cardiff) give me a shout.

(Hopefully catch up with you for a game and a pint some time soon in Bristol Dan!)

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Have made a post on the Facebook page. Visitors section. Prob not the right place but technology and I are not close friends :P

My keen interest is as a Freebooter, but wish to make it clear from the start i do not wish to play in the place of someone who is naturally eligible for Team Ireland (atm this doesnt seem to be an issue! but I am a firm believer of doing the right thing). Cheers.

Raging82
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Raging82 »

Team Ireland will be one nation under the 'Irish Nationality Law' based on the Irish nationality and citizenship Act 2004. It states that subject to section 6A ( section 4 of the Irish nationality and citizenship Act 2004 ) every person born in the island of Ireland is entitled to be a Irish citizen. so the Irish team will be selected from the combined Irish nations and play under the mantal of team Ireland.

With regards to hosting, the venue will be selected from anywhere on the island of Ireland. The suitability of the venue and the ability to accommodate the tournament will always be the main and only factor in its selection.

Captain of team Ireland

some people manage stress with yoga, meditation and long walks..... i choose to play blood bowl.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Raging82 wrote:Team Ireland will be one nation under the 'Irish Nationality Law' based on the Irish nationality and citizenship Act 2004. It states that subject to section 6A ( section 4 of the Irish nationality and citizenship Act 2004 ) every person born in the island of Ireland is entitled to be a Irish citizen. so the Irish team will be selected from the combined Irish nations and play under the mantal of team Ireland.

With regards to hosting, the venue will be selected from anywhere on the island of Ireland. The suitability of the venue and the ability to accommodate the tournament will always be the main and only factor in its selection.
Well thats a shame, was hopeful of a Team NI too.

Anyway good luck.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Great idea raging28!! Always good to welcome more nations to Eurobowl and I can only imagine the party will be even more fun with you guys! Good luck in getting a team formed :D

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

Cool I think that answers all question for Ireland
Though I thought there also were some scoring changes discussed?
They are not part of the charter?
Sorry to hijack this but thought not worth for that question to create a new topic.

Tripleskull
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Tripleskull »

Oventa wrote:Cool I think that answers all question for Ireland
Though I thought there also were some scoring changes discussed?
They are not part of the charter?
Sorry to hijack this but thought not worth for that question to create a new topic.
The new scoring is being worked on and will be in place for Wales. There will most likely be a suggestion from the committee to ad it to the charter at the captains meeting in Cardiff.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Thanks for posting!

One question though:
Eurobowl Charter wrote:National or citizen of that Nation
It might be worthwhile to define what "National or Citizen" means. Legally I'm not sure what the difference is.
But I think in particular for Ireland, this could be important. There's a large Irish Diaspora out there in the world, and by Irish law, descendants of Irish citizens are entitled to Irish citizenship.
I think that's the same "one grandparent" rule which Raging82 originally referenced. But almost none of those people currently hold an Irish passport.

So I guess the official question is, "Do the individual national teams decide who counts as a 'National or Citizen', or does the Eurobowl Committee intend to define this"?

Just for clarity, I don't have a horse in this race. I'm pretty sure there are more than 8 Blood Bowl players in Ireland who are willing to take the 30 minute flight to Cardiff. I personally am no more Irish than Marvin the Martian, and I'm not good enough to play in a Eurobowl team anyway.
I just think this is the sort of thing which ought to be clear and unambiguous from the beginning.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

rolo wrote:Thanks for posting!

One question though:
Eurobowl Charter wrote:National or citizen of that Nation
It might be worthwhile to define what "National or Citizen" means. Legally I'm not sure what the difference is.
But I think in particular for Ireland, this could be important. There's a large Irish Diaspora out there in the world, and by Irish law, descendants of Irish citizens are entitled to Irish citizenship.
I think that's the same "one grandparent" rule which Raging82 originally referenced. But almost none of those people currently hold an Irish passport.

So I guess the official question is, "Do the individual national teams decide who counts as a 'National or Citizen', or does the Eurobowl Committee intend to define this"?

Just for clarity, I don't have a horse in this race. I'm pretty sure there are more than 8 Blood Bowl players in Ireland who are willing to take the 30 minute flight to Cardiff. I personally am no more Irish than Marvin the Martian, and I'm not good enough to play in a Eurobowl team anyway.
I just think this is the sort of thing which ought to be clear and unambiguous from the beginning.
I suggest we do not hijack this thread for this discussion. Any changes/discussions/clarification regarding the rules are done in the Captains forum where all team captains have access to (including Raging82).