Setting up a team Ireland for eurobowl 18

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: Setting up a team Ireland for eurobowl 18

Post by rolo »

Tablet wrote:Is the team representing the island of Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

Or to put it another way; are you following Rugby or Football selection rules??
I believe that the NAF policy of "What counts as a Nation" is to use FIFA's list, in which case the team would represent the Republic of Ireland. It'll be interesting to see what the exact text of the eligibility rules are, and whether coaches from Northern Ireland are eligible.
As before, this is just my memory of the last rules, ymmv etc.

Reason: ''
"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tablet »

rolo wrote: I believe that the NAF policy of "What counts as a Nation" is to use FIFA's list, in which case the team would represent the Republic of Ireland. It'll be interesting to see what the exact text of the eligibility rules are, and whether coaches from Northern Ireland are eligible.
As before, this is just my memory of the last rules, ymmv etc.
That does sound familiar now you mention it. Well, that's me out of the running (not that they would have wanted me :lol: ).

GeordieBowl IX 2017 - Wooden Spoon
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Tablet wrote:Is the team representing the island of Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

Eurobowl follows FIBA teams selections

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

It does, but I'm pretty sure that an exception could be made (I have no authority on this one, so am guessing).

Please do put yourselves forward if you are Northern or Republic, and Dan should be able to talk to the Eurobowl committee.

And to start with, ability is secondary to willingness to travel and eligibility!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Team "Island of Ireland".

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Tablet wrote:That does sound familiar now you mention it. Well, that's me out of the running (not that they would have wanted me :lol: ).
Sounds like Northern Ireland have found their captain!

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Raging82
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Raging82 »

For this first year it will be representative of both Irish demographics. I will try to incourage blood bowl everywhere until it comes to a point that there could ( and if there is a want ) to form two separate teams. But to the best of my knowledge there has never been a Irish team so this is something that will be addressed when the team is created. I know this can be a tough subject but it will always be blood bowl first. If it is possible I’d hope to keep it as one team but in the future I will support however the players want it to be.

Captain of team Ireland

some people manage stress with yoga, meditation and long walks..... i choose to play blood bowl.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Just a short word to say good luck with this, whether all Ireland or Republic or just Northern.

Brendan
(not Irish!)

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Raging82 wrote:

For this first year it will be representative of both Irish demographics. I will try to incourage blood bowl everywhere until it comes to a point that there could ( and if there is a want ) to form two separate teams. But to the best of my knowledge there has never been a Irish team so this is something that will be addressed when the team is created. I know this can be a tough subject but it will always be blood bowl first. If it is possible I’d hope to keep it as one team but in the future I will support however the players want it to be.
So, if someone wanted to play for Team NI in the future but cant as there is no team yet so chooses to play for this "All Irish" team will that mean they are then unable to play for the future Northern Irish team?

Why not collect names and preference to team there might be enough to form two teams.

Or is this a Republic of Ireland Team? The flag/facebook image seems to suggest this.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

frogboy wrote:
Raging82 wrote:

So, if someone wanted to play for Team NI in the future but cant as there is no team yet so chooses to play for this "All Irish" team will that mean they are then unable to play for the future Northern Irish team?

Why not collect names and preference to team there might be enough to form two teams.

Or is this a Republic of Ireland Team? The flag/facebook image seems to suggest this.
Surely we want the Irish to compete and don't want to put obstacles in their way. Let's make sure we get an Irish team to Wales and then worry about the future afterwards. And if they get enough coaches to field a Republic and Northern team at Wales then even better.

PS I am currently trying to chivy John Larkin to get involved but he is moaning about family commitments so if any of you Irish know him them give him a kick up the arse from me :wink: .

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I'm just asking a question, not trying to put obstacles in anyones way.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Raging82
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Raging82 »

There won’t be a team Ireland if we split in the future into two different teams. I will pose this to the eurobowl committee but I don’t believe this will not be a issue frogboy. I will clarify any answers on this on my page when I can.

Captain of team Ireland

some people manage stress with yoga, meditation and long walks..... i choose to play blood bowl.
Raging82
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Raging82 »

Sorry was very tired last night. I meant to say it should hopefully not be a issue.

Captain of team Ireland

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

When i first saw your post on Facebook and seen the Irish flag i just presumed it was "Team Republic of Ireland" so didn't show interest other than to say good luck.

But the direction of this thread now seems to show differently. I qualify for Northern Ireland, hense the confussion. I didnt want to say I qualify if I don't, if you see what i'm saying.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I'd just like to say that I had no idea who "Tony Cascarino" was until I looked him up after reading this thread.

And I laughed out loud. Poor guy. I kept picturing this as a Blood Bowl special play card. "Eligibility Scandal!!". So thank you for that :lol:

Anyway, I've let people know in my New England league. I don't expect to find anyone who'll fly over but you never know.
(And if someone does bite, it'll be an American who swore he's totally a quarter Irish that one time he was hitting on a redhead at a St. Patrick's day party.
They will likely also confirm every stereotype about Americans which exist in Ireland. Yeah, we stole your holiday. sorry about that. :orc:)

Anyway ... if there is a united Ireland team at Eurobowl 2018, I can not imagine players on that team being banned from a future Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland team. The goal of the Eurobowl committee is to run a tournament, they have a basic amount of common sense and will certainly do what they need to support new teams.

Also, although it's none of my business, I like the idea of a unified team, because there's a larger chance of getting 8 players together, and because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when people get along peaceably (to play violent sports games) :D
Just maybe discuss beforehand what happens if you win hosting rights!

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"