The R'lyeh Summoners (Slann) - From go to woe (part 7)

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

bouf wrote: I managed to get a hold of Eureka and they have advised that I may select specific minis despite their advertising “Random Variation Supplied”. They have been very helpful and polite so far, I don’t expect any trouble from them… My only issue is that the minis look to be pre-based (where the Base the mini stands on is part of the mini) I really want the guys to look as much like BB figs as possible, so I’ll have to look at some way to grind the existing base off so I can get them on a round base. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! I could be wrong though…

A guy in my league will be getting some minis from Crocodile Games as well so I should be able to split postage there too! With a little luck I’ll have the order on it’s way before the weekend. Then I need to buy some Green stuff and get ready for some weapon snips!

That’s all for now… Wish me luck!
I had the same experienc in that they were willing to accommodate my resuests for specific poses.

Curious as to whether you got your models in yet and what the bases were like andc how you dealt with it? Looking at the frog warriors in the gallery on Eureka, they are all on round bases, but not on the shopping page....

Would love to see some pics of what you did with them. Can't wait to try out the team myself! :D

Reason: ''
Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

tenwit wrote:BTW I'm of the opinion that dedicated passing duties belong to a lineman. Sure the AG4 helps (and should be used until a lineman gets Pass), but catchers have that extra point of MA that throwers don't need: give them skills that take advantage of it.

Given that linemen need doubles to get any of the A skills, why not just put all the really good A skills on catchers, and give the P skills to linemen? AG3 + Pass is better than AG4 without, and all the other useful part-time-passer skills are G (Sure Hands, Block, Fend, Kick-Off Return).
You have a Good point there.... I'll keep that in mind next time I roll a doubles for my Linemen...

There are some good A skills that Throwers need though... Jump Up and Sure feet being the big two.

The thing that I noticed however is that I'm scoreing a Spit load and rarely get to recieve. So I see this guy as a Kicking Team Thrower.

Leap + Dodge to get onto the loose ball
Sure hands to pick it up
Pass or HMP to off load it. (If I can roll doubles)
Jump Up so I can do all the above from my back.
From this perspective, the increased MA is magic... AG4 is even better.

Sure feet is a killer Thrower skill. How many times do you run out your MA and see if a GFI would make that Long Pass a Short? I know I do it heaps.
Pass Block on three Slann catchers would murder the throwing game,
Kick Off return + DC both have awesome synergy...

Everything in Bold is an option I could exploit and need to choose between... Sure Feet/Jump Up being the winners at the moment.

~ bouf - Find me on Board Game Geek
Or find me on YouTube!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Craigtw wrote: I had the same experienc in that they were willing to accommodate my resuests for specific poses.

Curious as to whether you got your models in yet and what the bases were like andc how you dealt with it? Looking at the frog warriors in the gallery on Eureka, they are all on round bases, but not on the shopping page....

Would love to see some pics of what you did with them. Can't wait to try out the team myself! :D
I'm ordering the minis this weekend $hi+ or bust... What else can I say other than buying a house isn't as easy as I had hoped.

I'll do a propper Blog update this weekend.

Or find me on YouTube!
Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

bouf wrote:
Craigtw wrote: I had the same experienc in that they were willing to accommodate my resuests for specific poses.

I'm ordering the minis this weekend $hi+ or bust... What else can I say other than buying a house isn't as easy as I had hoped.

I'll do a propper Blog update this weekend.
Well maybe I will have mine done before you then! :D

Will post pics and news as it happens

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Craigtw wrote:Well maybe I will have mine done before you then! :D

Will post pics and news as it happens
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Or find me on YouTube!
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

bouf wrote:Pass or HMP to off load it. (If I can roll doubles)
Normally I'm very anti-HMP except on light-relief teams (goblins, mostly), but with potentially four Diving Catchers upfield, you could definitely guarantee that the HMP pass is caught.. hmm, maybe for laugh value, when (if) my team ever gets to TV2.2M+. Needs 5 potential receivers, the four DCers and someone on the target square..

Nah, there's no way you can cover that much ground. You'd be better off putting Accurate on a Blitzer then giving him Strong Arm.. 3+ long bomb. Not that I'd do that, either.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

tom, do you like any particuler results, that is, as far as using kroot plastics, for stand in slann? a buddy has a unopened box of kroot i can get just for painting a chaos dwarf team(insted of cash) and they seem to have too many gun arms. point me in the right direction, brother 8)

Rick Sanchez lives!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

bound for glory wrote:tom, do you like any particuler results, that is, as far as using kroot plastics, for stand in slann? a buddy has a unopened box of kroot i can get just for painting a chaos dwarf team(insted of cash) and they seem to have too many gun arms. point me in the right direction, brother 8)
viewtopic.php?t=24240

viewtopic.php?t=23602

Or find me on YouTube!
Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

I had seen a team of slann that was made with the frog warriors frog Eureka miniatures. But now I cannot seem to find that team anymore. Can anyone send me a link to this? I want to see how he did some of the conversions so that I can steal the ideas! :P

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

i think we should all make a very loud noise so tom and impact! wake up and finaly make a FROG TEAM.,LOL :D ALL KIDDING ASIDE, BUT LETS ALL AGREE THAT GW IS.NT GONNA MAKE A SLANN TEAM! look, i don't know what goes on between tom and jj. i'm just a guy who loves our game. but common already...whats the latest, tom? anything you can let us in on?
could'nt you just make a frog team for elfball? and btw, you never got back to me about that turtle 8) love you guys at impact! and i'm putting the word about you to my league players(22 starting this saturday at 6pm). i kow you'll do whats right for your company, but waiting on gw...?

Rick Sanchez lives!
Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

I found what I was looking for!

If anyone else is interested in seeing some cimple conversions for the Eureka Frogmen look here:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h ... 4%26sa%3DG

Sorry, dunno how to make one of those smaller link thingys

Mephisto
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mephisto »

I want to resurrect this post, because is one of the best (and few) about slann I have read.

I have decided to start a slann team for a league in Madrid which hopefully will play with LRB6 (95% sure).

I have thought about this roster:

1 Kroxigor 140
2 Catchers 160
2 Blitzers 220
6 Lineman 360
2 RR 100
2 FF 20

Comments please!

tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

bouf probably has a different opinion on this since he was so successful starting with Blitzers, but in the few (admittedly short) leagues I've played with Slann, I've started with fewer and fewer blitzers and done better and better as a result. Take the krox, take the catchers, take the rerolls. Save for apo and then for blitzers. They are great on a developmed team, but catchers are so much better on an undeveloped team.

1 kroxigor 140
4 catchers 320
7 linefrogs 360
3 re-rolls 150

Total 970

Bank the cash. Start saving like mad. This is an expensive team.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

If I was starting Slann in a league I would take:

Kroxigor - 140k
2 Catchers - 160k
8 Linefrogs - 480k
4 RR - 200k
2FF - 20k

If it was a very short league I'd probably exchange a RR for an apothecary or an extra linefrog/catcher. Sadly blitzers look good only in the longterm and only if they survive while picking up plenty of SPPs.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Mephisto
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mephisto »

I was thinking on getting a lot of SPP's with blitzer so to get at least two killing machines with Block, MB and Piling on...