The R'lyeh Summoners (Slann) - From go to woe (part 7)

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Half-Elven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Half-Elven »

Ummm....

Would that be this one you are missing?

http://www.mediafire.com/?32z5dv2jul2

I took it from your site half a year ago and modified it a bit for our local league. Thanks by the way :)

Reason: ''
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Demons Update : Welcome the Summoners!

Well you may have noticed that I changed the name of this little Blog to reflect my new team name…

The R'lyeh Summoners

I’ve been inspired by the Music of the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets(a band devoted to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft) and decided to “Borrow” some of their lyrics and material in and devote my team to the Great Old One Cthulhu! It’s been fun chronicling my decent into madness and there is a wealth of back story I can easily link to the Slann (Slann having been obviously inspired by Lovecraft’s Old Ones).

Lesson in demonology: In the time before man, great beings (that we could only describe as gods) waged war on earth and chief amongst them suffered a great cataclysm sinking their continent into the ocean. The continent of R’lyeh is the home of the Great Old Ones. There they lie dead but dreaming, influencing the minds of man. The high priest Cthulhu will one day be awakened and from the depths of the Pacific, R’lyeh will rise and the whole sale destruction that follows will usher in a new age.

My performance.
Game one Vs Orcs : 1-2 loss
Game two Vs Undead : 3-0 win
Game Three Vs Skaven : 5-1 win
A good start but sadly it’s only enough to net me a 3rd place seat in my Division. I’m confident that the Orcs (Team Fist) who sit ahead of me will eventually lose and I’ll get 2nd place based on TDs scored. If I can beat the Wood Elves (MtUncootha Braves) I just may take 1st place and get to go to our mid-season tournament. I’m playing Chaos next and have back to back Goblin Games after that (unless plans change) so I’m pretty confident that without major issues, I should win my way through to round 7 of our early season Open.

The team has performed quite well despite our first round loss. Most of that loss was due to my abysmal first turn… I kicked, and had one of my linemen K/Oed. Then his first three rolls gave me a –AV lineman and two more K/Os. I still managed a point so all wasn’t lost. After three games I have
3x Blitzer with Block
1x Catcher with Dodge
1x Catcher with Sure Hands (I was going to make another Dodge guy but found that I often leap into multiple TZs and Sure hands would be more handy! - he's my 'thrower' now)
1x Lineman with Kick
I bought a Kroxigor after Game three and retired my –AV lineman after game one. I had a journeyman get my MVP last game (after getting MNGed) but decided that the Krox was more important. A Catcher will be my next purchase… maybe a Blitzer instead, then I’m going to have an eye out for more RRs.

MINIS!

I managed to get a hold of Eureka and they have advised that I may select specific minis despite their advertising “Random Variation Supplied”. They have been very helpful and polite so far, I don’t expect any trouble from them… My only issue is that the minis look to be pre-based (where the Base the mini stands on is part of the mini) I really want the guys to look as much like BB figs as possible, so I’ll have to look at some way to grind the existing base off so I can get them on a round base. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! I could be wrong though…

A guy in my league will be getting some minis from Crocodile Games as well so I should be able to split postage there too! With a little luck I’ll have the order on it’s way before the weekend. Then I need to buy some Green stuff and get ready for some weapon snips!

That’s all for now… Wish me luck!

~ bouf - Find me on Board Game Geek
Or find me on YouTube!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

So far so Good!

I've eeked out a first place spot in my division and my team is going bananas! I've lost one and then won my next 6. Wood elves are next week and should present one of my biggest challenges.

Blitzer #1 - Block, Mighty Blow (Guard next) - 16 SPPs
Blitzer #2 - Block, (Mighty Blow next) - 6 SPPs
Blitzer #3 - Block, Tackle (Mighty Blow next) - 20 SPPs
Blitzer #4 - Block, Tackle (Mighty Blow next) - 21 SPPs
Krox #5 - Block (Guard or Stand firm next) - 7 SPPs
Catcher #6 - Dodge, Block (Pass Block next) - 18 SPPs
Catcher #7 - Sure Hands, Dodge, (Kick-Off Return next) - 21 SPPs
Catcher #8 - +AG (Dodge or Pass Block next) - 8 SPPs
Lineman #10 - Guard (Wrestle or Block next) - 7 SPPs
Lineman #11 - Nothing (Wrestle next) - 2 SPPs
Lineman #12 - Nothing (Wrestle next) - 2 SPPs
Lineman #13 - Kick (Dirty Player Next) - 8 SPPs
Lineman #14 - Nothing (Wrestle) - 2 SPPs

I got Block on the Krox last game, and I couldn't be happier! He has been a constant source of Turn Overs since I bought him... each time it's due to a Double Down. Thanks to that timely doubles roll I should see a big improvement outta the big lummox.

I also rolled +AG on a catcher last game, Not sure what to make of that... Will it pay off? I assume so, as I can get into awful situations and come out with the ball... Plus a 3+ on intercept rolls is pretty flash. Still, part of me wants to skip on it and just take something straight forward.

My casualties have been very slight... I just can't seem to hurt anyone, but Diving tackle has injured more than my share! The biggest hurdle I've had to face is failed rolls... I seem to roll more than one double skulls per game (maybe per half) and never have a RR ready when I do. I fail leaps way too often and miss catching the ball all the time. In my game before last I misses 5 catch attempts in a row... I only have 2 RRs but there are two more on the cards ASAP!

I've scored 20 TDs and only allowed 5, Inflicted 22 casualties (14 awarded to my players) and suffered 12. All in all, a great performance from the Slann. If I beat the woddies I'm a sure thing to make it into our mid season dungeon match (If I lose or tie, the woodies 'could' bump me outta the top spot in the division) and I know that the Dungeon is anybody's guess who'll win. Pure Luck match if ever there was one!

Love or hate my team? Any Tips or questions, Shoot them my way. I'm after Feed Back so please hit me!

Minis (or lack there of)

I still don't have the spare cash for the minis, but hope to soon...

(I've said this before!)

Or find me on YouTube!
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

You don't have plans for a single player with Catch? How come? I've just started a Slann team, and Catch is slated for two catchers. How do you avoid needing Catch?

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

I playa high speed, high pressure, running offence. I always get a player into a scoring position and then forget them while the other 10 pressure the ball and any potential recievers.

I could use Catch for sure, but Blodge is more important to keep these guys on their feet, and Pass Block to increase the pressure.

Sure hands is great too because if they make a mistake (which happens a lot with so much DT and a PTail) you can get in and get the ball quick as a flash.

I don't count on the other guy making mistakes, but I try to force a lot of them. Keep the pressure high enough and those mistakes will come. Slann are awesome at this with their starting skills...
~Leap on a 2 + and Pick up on a 3+ (from within a TZ) lets you get the ball from just about anywhere
~Diving Tacke and Pre-Tail limits movement
~Jump up makes you a threat from your back (both blocking and movement)
Slann really make the opponent pay for each dropped pass.

I eat a lot of RRs without those basic skills, but my game revolves around setting up Iron Clad Defence... rather than a great offence. I find that Slann can score at will when recieving... Don't miss that GFi and they just can't stop you. Set up a Diving Tackle Mini Cage around a Catcher half way down the pitch and you are almost a sure thing for a TD...

Then you kick and need that Awesome Defence again. I have the Kick skill and I always put the ball as close to the LoS as possible... Theory is that they feel pressure not to fail and go for the ball early. If they don't and miss a block or something, I nab it and run one in. Also if I can keep the thrower close to the LoS, I could maybe leap in a Blitz and force the ball free.

Currently I'm trying to score 8 TDs in one game... My last few games have been abysmal for missed blocks and dropped passes, but I Keep the pressure high and so far it pays off

Or find me on YouTube!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Random Thoughts on Slann Blitzers…

Currently I have mine built for causing Casualties. They will be good at that for sure… but I think I’ve missed a trick.

The Slann advantage, based on their starting skills, is increased mobility (leap + VLL + JU) and decreased Opponent mobility (DT + JU). This is backed up by the PreTail on the Krox. So how do I capitalise on that??? Originally I was thinking:

2 x Killers = Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Pile On, Dodge
Smash the opponent and get them off the pitch as soon as possible (Tackle first so You can target low ST positionals)
2 x Linebackers = Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Dodge, Side step
Get in the mix and help out with Guard while preventing runaways with DT.

So with 5 x MB players on the pitch I could come out looking like a chaos team… Bash, Bash, Bash and Bash some more! Meanwhile the catchers can do their stuff scoring TDs. It’s a sound tactic and worth a look. I’m not entirely convinced to let it go… BUT! After Playing Woodies and being the victim of a Wardancer that deeked and ducked my Tackle Blitzers for three turns (all 2 dice hits failed to get me a knock down) to score the game winner, I’m starting to re think a little… Now my Idea is as follows:

2 x Killer = Wrestle, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Pile On, Dodge Same as above, but Wrestle instead of Block… Sure, less lethal in the short term, but better at getting the opponent down and thus limiting their mobility, which make me look more mobile.
2 x Running backs = Wrestle, Tackle, Shadowing, Dodge, Side step (maybe Pass Block)

Rather than getting in the stink to “help out” These Guys will run about Dragging Down the Ball Carriers and key guys, while marking the guys they can’t drag down with Shadowing. All in all, they will make it impossible to move on the pitch.

It’s the 200K card “Tackle Machine” that got me on this band wagon…
TACKLING MACHINE
Description: One player from your team has been told "win or else” by the Goblin bookies to make good on his gambling debts and he is determined to get his team the win even if he needs to take down every opposing player himself.
Timing: Play at the beginning of your turn before any player takes an Action.
Effect: For the remainder of this game, one player of your choice from your team gains the Diving Tackle, Jump Up, Tackle, and Wrestle skills.
Here’s me starting with DT and Jump Up… Why not make 4 x Tackle machines. With my increased mobility (Leaping Catchers) I can really punish anyone who gets Tipped over by my guys. Tackle also has a Great synergy with DT, chewing through my opponens RRs. Where this could fall over is when up against Fighting teams… Without that guard, I may struggle to get anywhere. But on the other hand, those guys almost always take Block and I’ll be able to counter that with Wrestle…

Hmm, Tough decision… Your thoughts???

Or find me on YouTube!
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

It's the way I'm planning to go, more or less. Though given that I've managed to get a grand total of one game out of my league since I started my Slann team, I think that I'll have the benefit of your experience before I even have to choose between Block and Wrestle :)

It seems to me that the biggest challenge facing these players is earning SPPs. With a huge price tag and invaluable skill access (shared only with Vampires), I'm loathe to risk them too much. I'll be building a couple of linemen for clearing paths (block, tackle, frenzy, SS on doubles), which means that the blitzers' S access isn't going to be needed too much. I'm worried that I'm not taking advantage of it enough..

My current plan is to build a heavy hitter, a tackle machine, and two supports, in that order. Though the tackle machine is really just a support later in the league..
#1: Block, MB, Piling On, Tackle, Dodge.
#2: Block, Tackle, Guard, Side Step, Wrestle.
#3 and #4: Wrestle, Guard, Side Step, Dodge. Haven't decided about 5th skills, these guys won't earn too many SPPs.

The SS/Guard combo is what I'm looking for, really. This is the only team that can easily make that combo, it's just that it seems a bit of a waste on blitzers...

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

tenwit wrote: it's just that it seems a bit of a waste on blitzers...
Thats the funny thing... They're not Blitzers.

Sure theyre called blitzers, but they don't start with Blitzer skills and have WAY too many development choices. True Blitzers have limited deleopment and a spicific role on the team.

Slann Blitzer Positionals are just hard to pin Down in deleopment planning.

I find that on offence, theyre best used to Cage/Screen. Run/Blitz a few squares up the pitch and then throw a Blitzer or two in a lose Screen/cage. Get a Lineman in there for good measure. Then squeeze your Catcher in there somewhere. Now he's untouchable. No one will be keen to dodge through mulitple TZs with all that DT floating about, so they'll chose to blitz a blitzer instead. Well your catcher is free to nick off and enjoy life in the ednzone...

In defence, you are again relying on DT. Have a Block or two, maybe a blitz and get those DT dudes in position to make life hard. Then once you have you opponent "Trapped" you can leap in a timely Blitz to free up the ball. Once that ball is free, a Catcher can leap in and get it out.

Shadowing, Pass Block, Dodge... these are the key skills for a Slann Blitzer. But without Block, Wrestle, SF or SS it's a real pain to get them working in the right synergy...

Or find me on YouTube!
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

tenwit wrote:It's the way I'm planning to go, more or less.
It's what I've been thinking since I saw the team.

You have great mobility & have the tools to cut down theirs.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

bouf wrote:Shadowing, Pass Block, Dodge... these are the key skills for a Slann Blitzer.
Dodge, definitely. Pass Block.. it needs to be on the team, but it doesn't need to be on the blitzers, and putting it there diminishes the team's supply of S skills: if you get more than two blitzers with Pass Block then you're going to be relying on your linemen for too much of the bashing.

If you're puttin Pass Block on the blitzers, then ok, Shadowing is useful. But the team needs a few S skills, it's not a powerhouse team, and if you're building two (or more) blitzers with S skills, you don't really have the room for Shadowing. With SS+guard you accomplish a similar thing (that is, preventing a key opponent from moving without blitzing) and do it better (because they will think long and hard before blitzing due to SS). You can put Shadowing on a +MA lineman if you're lucky. You'd have to omit the SS+guard option (which you need on 2+ blitzers to make it valuable) and pursue the Pass Block+Shadowing route almost exclusively, in order to make it a serious impediment to your opposition. And if you do that, you risk losing a lot of very expensive blitzers. It might win a few games for you, but imo SS+guard will win more. And with the built-in defense of "ooo I can't hit that blitzer, he'll just SS into an even worse place!", those guys will live longer.

And guard complements the S skills that go on the other blitzer or two.

tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

To resurrect the thread...

You're thinking about changing the design of your blitzers from:
bouf wrote:2 x Killers = Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Pile On, Dodge
Smash the opponent and get them off the pitch as soon as possible (Tackle first so You can target low ST positionals)
2 x Linebackers = Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Dodge, Side step
Get in the mix and help out with Guard while preventing runaways with DT
To:
bouf wrote:2 x Killer = Wrestle, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Pile On, Dodge Same as above, but Wrestle instead of Block… Sure, less lethal in the short term, but better at getting the opponent down and thus limiting their mobility, which make me look more mobile.
2 x Running backs = Wrestle, Tackle, Shadowing, Dodge, Side step (maybe Pass Block)
I've finally been getting in some games with my Slann, so I feel that I'm in a position to comment. Starting off with no Block or Wrestle has taught me the value of Leap (as I'd hoped that it would), and I think that Slann can be built to capitalize on this, rather than turning into a Chaos-like bash team. And with linemen being so similar to Blitzers from a toe-to-toe fight point of view (only the lack of S access distinguishes them here), I think that I'll be doing most of my blocking with them. I don't want to lose such expensive players to double skulls!

Still, it's hard to completely pass up the only reliable S access on the team, so I'm building a killer on my team, too. Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Dodge, Piling On. I want to see the opposition down, getting them out is just icing. Hence Tackle before Mighty Blow. And I want to protect my investment, hence Dodge before Piling On.

The other three are there for this guy and the linemen to feed off. The plan is to have three pairs of Slann: 2x (lineman + blitzer) and (killer + blitzer), and have them stay together like that. They'll be getting Guard and Side Step. First one to skill up gets Block (because it'll be early in the season and there isn't too much Block on other teams yet), the other two both get Wrestle, then they all get Guard and Side Step in that order. I don't expect to earn too many SPPs after they get Guard, as they'll just be getting in position (which is where Leap comes into play) and letting their partner do the work. But if they do skill up a 4th time, then Tackle, Dodge and Thick Skull will all be considered, based on how my opponents have been treating these guys.

The two assistant blitzers will be getting Block and Tackle first, Mighty Blow on doubles. Maybe Pro for rerolling push results, if they advance that far (obviously TRRs for rerolling turnover results).

I have linemen and catchers set aside for Pass Block (one catcher for the intercept attempt, and two linement for tackle zones). I think that there are too many basic skills that this team needs, so I can't find a place for Shadowing. I guess that a blitzer could get it, as a 5th upgrade..

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

I've ditched the Shadowing Idea and stuck with my original Powerhouse style of play.

I like your Pairs Idea but I personally would struggle to get that going on defence...

I've got the Krox and 2 linemen on the LoS
My two "Killer" Blitzers and a Kicker lineman a few squares back
A Throwing Catcher behind that
My Guard Blitzers accompany the catchers in the widezone. (Although they don't have guard yet... Block MB first for me...)

So I don't have the players on the pitch to spare... The Linemen would struggle to get off the LoS, and the kicker is getting Wrestle/Tackle so he can help defend the back field.

I use the Support Guys to lend assists, Maybe a catcher too, and the Killers to drag down ball carriers. The ramaining catchers pick up the ball and either dump it away or find a pocket. I always kick close to I can capitalize on errors. I don't have the best defence but I have never failed to score. I'm finding that bringing the beef to the match really gets your opponent on the back foot since you can back it up with near elven mobility. Assists arent a problem it seems... just leap into the right spot! Guard on that lineman has been magical! Need a hand and BOING... Got one!

I'm working on the theory that If I can get ahead on attrition, I'll be better able to protect my Expencive positionals. If his guys ae K/Oed, he can't K/O mine!

But this team is a lesson in mobility and picking your fights wisely. You are always one leap away from deep trouble. Jump Up and Leap means though that you can really keep the pressure high, even when you're on your back!

R'lyeh Summoners Performance

Or find me on YouTube!
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

I guess I've gone a little bit closer to what I'm experienced with, on defense. I'm mostly a lizardman coach, so I bog them down then grab the loose ball. I don't need to take them out of the game: once the ball is down, stunties can get in there and make use of it. And that's what I'm trying with Slann, just with Leap instead of Stunty.

I think your approach is better in the short term, because without starting Dodge, I've been left in the dust in my first games (two deaths in my first game was followed with both journeymen earning SPPs! Arg!). Now that I'm getting skills on board, I hope to catch up on your record.

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Thanks for putting me back onto those - I remember seeing them a long time ago, but could never find them again. Now I have made a profil with Eureka, and am definitely going to have to order a team of "slann" for myself!

I can certainly appreciate how they would be too cartoony for some, but absolutely love it myself!

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Its interesting ... my Slann team took an entirely different approach.

http://www.midgardbb.com/MBBL/teamView.php?teamid=31

I've forgone Block and Dodge and focused my team on have the Blitzers pop loose balls and the catchers to recover them.

Current record is 8 wins - 3 losses

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers