The R'lyeh Summoners (Slann) - From go to woe (part 7)

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

The R'lyeh Summoners (Slann) - From go to woe (part 7)

Post by bouf »

Here we go!

I’m starting a new team for my BABBL 2nd season. I’m pretty famous within my league for best intentions. I buy a team and never add a lick of paint or any other of the greatness I claim to foretell. So as a bit of inspiration, I intend to Blog my journey both here and on the Ausbowl forum for all to see and criticize. With any luck the feed back will push me along.

My Plan!

Slann. I played them for 12 games in our Preseason (6-1-5) and made it to our “Blood Bowl” semi finals where I lost to a Wood elf team with a pretty high skills advantage. (It was my 12th game and his 60th or so). I found the Slann to be the most fun team I’ve played from a “Coaches” perspective. With all that Jump Up, Diving Tackle and (semi)Reliable Leaps, you really keep your opponent on their toes. In offence, if you can keep from failing key rolls, you can build some reliable and straight forward plays. But in defence! That’s where the Slann get fun!

You don’t have much power to slow down heavy hitters, but you have the Games best intercept chance. Couple that with Diving Tackle (and a pre-tail from the krox) and you limit manoeuvrability and passing pretty heavy (almost as much as a Nurgle team). Adding in to that the AG4 catchers who can leap on a 2+, and you can make your opponent pay big time for any failures. You may be slower than a gutter runner but the Leap can more than make up for it!

But it’s not all roses! The high player cost makes for a Very high team value. There is no RR skill on the roster and No Block/Dodge. This gives you a built in chance to fail every drive. Add to that the fact that Leap can end in tragedy!

Slann should be tough to run but hugely rewarding if Nuffle allows it.

Minis

I’ve just sold a 16 mini Skaven team (17 including Headsplitter) for $70. My plann for Slann Minis was to buy Eureka Frogmen.

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath ... 91&sort=3a

A controversial decision I know! I was deterred by the “Comical” aspect of the Frog men untill I found this Big Krox

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/it ... ek1-sm.jpg

My theory is; if the whole team is a bit comical and looks good, it’ll pay off! They are a good Price, should be easy to convert and will be a little unique since most people have the 10’ barge pole out for these guys. I’ll put the order through to eureka as soon as I get the cash from my little sale.

I’m also getting Polarised balls and Base magnets/weights/felts from Impact! Slaters Numbers for the bases and I’ll paint on some base rings for the different positionals.

My plan is to Green Stuff a Belt for each player (with big buckle and Loin cloth/plate). Then add a Right Shoulder Pad to the Linemen and Both Shoulder Pads for the Blitzers. Saving the more dynamic poses for the Blitzers and Catchers.

The strategy

I like to plan my teams out in advance so I can get an Idea how the team will develop and what skills would best suit the play style I’m after… But since I don’t have any minis yet, I’ll save that for my next entry!

I hope you stick with me here!

Bouf!

Reason: ''
~ bouf - Find me on Board Game Geek
Or find me on YouTube!
Stu
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Stu »

I've considered using those Eureka frogs before so I'll be interested in seeing how yours turn out.

Jonny Deth
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jonny Deth »

Hey

They look reaaaaaaaaaaaaally cool...

If I can get hold of the Slann rules I might do a team myself...

Good luck and post some pictures when you are done.

Halflings rule!!!
Nuffle hates me!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Jonny Deth wrote:If I can get hold of the Slann rules I might do a team myself...

Code: Select all

SLANN TEAMS
The Slann team is an ancient race of space travellers stranded on our planets many ages ago. After
realizing that rescue was never coming they settled down and began ordering the Lizardmen around
as their leaders. While most Slann prefer to become fat and lazy lording over the Lizardmen, a few of
younger and more energetic members enjoy travelling the realm and playing Blood Bowl. While the
Slann have no passing game to speak of, their ability to leap, dive, and intercept are second to none.

Qty    Title     Cost     MA ST AG AV  Skills 
0-16   Lineman   60,000   6  3  3  8   Leap, Very Long Legs   < G/ASP>
0-4    Catchers  80,000   7  2  4  7   Diving Catch, Leap, Very Long Legs    <GA/SP>
0-4    Blitzers  110,000  7  3  3  8   Diving Tackle, Jump Up,Leap, Very Long Legs    <GAS/P>
0-1    Kroxigor  140,000  6  5  1  9   Loner, Bone-head, Mighty Blow, Prehensile Tail, Thick Skull <S/GAP>

0-8 Re-roll counters: 50,000 gold pieces each

Star Players available for Inducement: Helmut Wulf, Hemlock, Lottabottol, Morg ‘n’ Thorg,
Quetzal Leap, Slibli

Or find me on YouTube!
Maleficum
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Maleficum »

I don't think the frogmen look anything like the 2.ed slann, which are the cool one's.

As an addendum, shouldn't the slann team get barred using the 'kick'-skill? and maybe even using doubles for 'pass'? ('accurate' and 'strong arm' should probarly be ok, no need to cripple the team, which are one of the coolest)

Btw, I remember the good ol' days when the Slann never won a title, because they insisted on playing all the top teams.

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Bogwater Demons - From Go to Woe 2
Finance
Well the Cash for the Skaven was received and the Rats are in the mail. Tonight I’ll be looking at getting the guys I want from Eureka and the Krox from Crocodile games. I’ve spoken to Eureka in the past and they reckon I can custom order the exact minis I want rather than “Variants supplied Randomly” But that was months ago, I’ll shoot them an e-mail tonight to be sure!

I need to try to find some dynamic poses for the Blitzers and Catchers and I’ll fill the linemen with whatever… I plan to buy 6 x Linemen, 4 x Blitzers and 4 x Catchers. At roughly $3.00 each I’m looking at $42.00 or so. + the Krox at roughly $15.00 makes $57.00 plus postage. Not bad for a 15 player team! ;o)

All I need to do is buy some Green Stuff and quickly teach my self to sculpt…

In Game
The Slann team is a nice challenge in the planning. Like Chaos or Vamps, they don’t start with any of the basic skills. That kills the luxury of choice quite a bit. Where other Blitzers may go straight to Mighty Blow or Guard I need Block. Where they get special skills I need to get basics. But as an old school Chaos and Ogre coach I’m not too worried. My plan is to get my Blitzers to fill two rolls – Attack & Block.

The two attackers will get
Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, With eyes on Piling On, Dodge
Block & Tackle so I can prevent scorers from taking advantage of my lack of skills, plus Tackle has a good synergy with Diving Tackle. Mighty Blow and Pile On to rack up the pain and then Dodge in the distant future for all the good reasons people take dodge. If I roll ST or AG I’ll take it, MA or AV I may miss… Not sure. If I roll doubles I’ll ignore it and stick to the plan.

The two blockers will get
Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, with eyes on Dodge, Stand Firm
I’ll give the first two Blitzers who get their 2nd skill up the Attacker skills, so the next two will be lagging behind a little. That’s why I give them Mighty Blow so early… to help them get to third skill a little faster. After that they get all the skills that help the team more than helping the player. Mighty blow will help them to continue to grow despite them staying in the mix and usually out of the end zone. Guard, Stand firm, & Dodge will help them get the most out of Diving Tackle and their new home in the stink. I won’t play them in the middle but they will hold up the wings. I’m using a simular build for my Amazon Blitzers at the moment and it works a treat! Again, I’ll take ST or AG but will skip out on MA, AV or doubles.

For the catchers I have a few Ideas…
Two guys skilled as a Scorer
Dodge, Block, Pass Block, with eyes on Catch, Side Step
Not much to explain here… Dodge and Block for all the good reasons. Pass Block and Catch for Leaping intercepts, Sidestep to be a pain. ST or AG will be a keeper, Doubles for Nerves of Steel. ~Here is a neat trick… If you can pass block right up to the catcher you’ll get a 5+ intercept chance (4+ with NoS) then if you miss that, they catch at -1. If that misses, you have a 5 in 8 chance that the ball will land in a Square you can catch from with Diving Catch!

One catcher will act as my thrower.
Kick off Return, Sure Hands, Dodge, with eyes on Block, Jump Up,
Kick off return has a great synergy with Diving Catch so one guy can cover the whole back field without trouble. Sure hands for those odd times where I won’t be able to catch the kick. Dodge, Block and Jump up for survivability and usefulness. Doubles on Pass and/or Accurate. MA is a keeper along with AG and ST.

One catcher will be for mayhem.
Wrestle, Dauntless, Strip ball, with eyes on Sure Hands, Dodge
Leap over the line or screen and collect any mistakes the opponent makes. Or just distract him so badly that the Coach makes more mistakes. I'm not entirely sold on Strip ball since so many back fielders have Sure hands... maybe Pass Block or Tackle instead. ST is a keeper, MA is good AG is better! Sure hands will also make him a potential back up thrower.

Next time I’ll talk linemen and team purchasing.

Or find me on YouTube!
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

Shouldn't (at least) one of the attackers get dodge with priority? You can only leap once per turn, and that huge boost in mobility you get from being able to move through three TZs with two 3+ rolls (one of which is re-rollable) is hard to pass up.. Also, the idea of passing up doubles gives me the jitters. Refusing dodge and side step just because your plan is rigid.. eek.

The MB before guard thing is another tough call. I'd get guard first, to help the other blocker get MB faster. But that's definitely an either-or call.

And final comment would be that one of your scorer-catchers could swap dodge for sure feet or sprint. Losing the defensive aspect of dodge is bad, but the other aspect of dodge is kinda lost on a leap/vll/AG4 combo. Dodge isn't as important on slann catchers as most others.

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

I try to look at my guys getting only 3 skills, any more than that is just lucky...

So Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow & Block, Mighty Blow, Guard seem like the best three choices at the moment. You are right that Dodge early is good but I'm not convinced that its the best.

As far as giving up doubles, The Blitzers have GSA/P access, so I'd only use doubles for NoS or Dump Off... Both of which are good but are they good enough to deviate from my plan???

Ya MB before Guard is tough too. But I've seen good players stagnate at two skills when their job is to guard... So I think I'd rather err on the side of more casualties. In the end I'll have 5 Mighty Blow players on teh pitch, 4 of which have jump up. That should be a good step in the right direction.

I thought of Sprint or Sure Feet too... But my main goal is to be good at intercepts. Since I cant use a Team RR on my opponents turn, I'd rather the dodge RR. (even 2+ leaps are scarry on a pass block - to that end I'm tempted to take Pro)

Or find me on YouTube!
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Guard, Stand firm, & Dodge will help them get the most out of Diving Tackle and their new home in the stink. I won’t play them in the middle but they will hold up the wings.
It would seem to me as you're using these guys on the wings Side Step is a lot better option then Stand Firm. Stand Firm is slightly more usefull on a crowded line, but anywhere else Side Step is a lot better.
Also keep in mind SF is countered by juggernaut (which is a lot more common than SS's counter skill Grab), which is taken a lot by frenzying teams which like to play close to the sideline as well!

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Demons Update…
Well tragically, I bought a house. And just in time for Christmas… AND just in time for our 2nd Season. So my plans for Cash have gone up the river. My money from the Skaven Minis went to pay off the Base Weights and such…. Where does that leave me? Orcs I think.

I can really get Orcs to Kick some, and I own the minis already… Is this the end of the Bogwater Demons? I don’t know… My league is pretty forgiving and I really like the Froggies. I doubt that anyone would complain too strongly if I used my Amazon Nuns as the Frogs for a while… Just long enough for the new guys to get the financial backing they require.

The Orcs are a ‘Fearsome’ weapon in my hands though! I had a Preseason game the other day and shellacked our local Norse expert in a 1-1 tie, where I beat him 8-0 on the casualty board. That is a good reason to kiss off the frogs, but also a good reason to leave the Orcs behind… If I beat everyone silly, I’ll run out of opponents.

So for now I’m a little undecided… (read: a LOT Undecided)

Minis
I have yet to contact Eureka about picking and choosing the minis I want… Morale is a little low with the cash in the Red! But the plan is the same as it ever was.

Linemen
Last time I talked about Positionals… and completely forgot a Great skill. Shadowing is a killer in the hands of this team, but where to fit it in my growth scheme??? As I see it, there are a few ways to go with Slann Linemen and I’ve narrowed the choices to 3 builds

Attack Linemen (2x)
Wrestle, Dauntless, Pro, Tackle, Fend
Topple Linemen (2x)
Wrestle, Tackle, Fend, Dauntless, Dirty Player
Dirty Linemen (2x)
Kick, Dirty Player, Block, Fend, Tackle

I assume that I’ll be lucky to ever get more than 2 skills on my humble linemen… So I’m dreaming a bit with the 5 skill progression. But I’m more than happy to hear any input on the skill choices. Wrestle on almost everyone is a Must for my play style. I had HUGE success with me Amazon LineNuns by taking wrestle. So please, no suggestions that I need more Block. With three Catchers, a Krox and 4 blitzers there will only be 3 linemen on the pitch at once… So it may look like I have too much but trust me it only ‘Looks’ that way.

Speaking of Krox…
Guard, Break Tackle, Stand Frim, Juggernaught, Grab <Pro before Block>

Future of the Demons?
Our next season starts Jan 8th… I’ll agonise over what team to play right up to the start of the season. I’m famous for that. I built and later deleted three teams (Orcs, Ogres and Slann) from our leagues Database before I started my Amazons (a team I’ve never played nor seen played) only two days before the start of the 1st season. There is a really good chance that I’ll go with the Demons, despite not having the cash to front them. There is also a chance I won’t.

Only time will tell.

Or find me on YouTube!
DamianTheLost
Experienced
Experienced

Post by DamianTheLost »

[quote="bouf"]I try to look at my guys getting only 3 skills, any more than that is just lucky...

So [b]Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow[/b] & [b]Block, Mighty Blow, Guard [/b] seem like the best three choices at the moment. You are right that Dodge early is good but I'm not convinced that its the best.

As far as giving up doubles, The Blitzers have GSA/P access, so I'd only use doubles for NoS or Dump Off... Both of which are good but are they good enough to deviate from my plan???

Ya MB before Guard is tough too. But I've seen good players stagnate at two skills when their job is to guard... So I think I'd rather err on the side of more casualties. In the end I'll have 5 Mighty Blow players on teh pitch, 4 of which have jump up. That should be a good step in the right direction.

I thought of Sprint or Sure Feet too... But my main goal is to be good at intercepts. Since I cant use a Team RR on my opponents turn, I'd rather the dodge RR. (even 2+ leaps are scarry on a pass block - to that end I'm tempted to take Pro)[/quote]

I'd be happy to know how your team works out. We start a new season in spring and I will take on the Slann for that. I like the stripball/wrestle/dauntless combo. If he ever makes it to tackle his an ultimate sacker! However I think one of the blitzers should go this route, because They already have jump up, and you can have in no time with them. Then the catchers can scoof in and snap the loose ball.

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Chocks Away for High Flying action!

I’ve stopped waffling and am on the Slann band wagon! The Bogwater Demons have registered for BABBL season 2 and you are invited to monitor my progress at the Brisbane Area Blood Bowl League!
The Bogwater Demons
The season starts Jan 8th and the Divisions aren’t set yet so I’m not sure who my opponent will be for the season opener. I was looking pretty closely at an orc team but decided not to go that way since it would be the 5th orc team since the start of the league, and the third to play in season 2. The Demons will be the First Slann team that I know of to be rostered online… I like that Idea!

To be honest I’m not keen on my chances this season. The Slann are tricky to get rolling and a few bad games could hobble my whole season. Having said that, once I hit the 150-175 TV mark I should be in god shape. If I can keep my losses at a minium, I could just maybe make it to our finals (where I’m sure to be trounced by one of the Season 1 teams). Slann are a development team… They’ll be a force in season three but I’ll need to be lucky to get a good performance in S2.

I’ve started with 3 Blitzers, 2 catchers, 6 Linemen and 2 RRs. I struggled for a while to decide if I wanted an apothecary and decided that with 3 players priced at 110,000 it was a must. My first purchase will be a Krox, after that I’ll be after a third catcher or more RRs, but that really depends on the injuries I may suffer. The best laid plans fall away pretty quick with a dead blitzer.

I’m going to have to use substitute minis for a while as I get some finance sorted out. I’ll get the Minis hopefully before the end of January, then comes the challenge of painting/converting the buggers! In the end I think I’ll end up with a good looking team… but my first challenge is sticking with them. Bets are already on within my league as to which team I’ll play next season!!!

The Slann are a great team on paper… I’ve played them in League for 12 games during our pre-season with some minor success… Assuming I don’t suffer too many major injuries, you may be looking at the Next BABBL Champs!

Wish me luck!

Or find me on YouTube!
DamianTheLost
Experienced
Experienced

Post by DamianTheLost »

If you've made an excel sheet, could you post it for download?

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I've noticed nobody mentions Dodge as an early skill pick for Slann blitzers. Having played a few games now, I'm starting to think that Dodge might be the next skill on all my blitzers. Moving about the pitch is the key to Slann, and Dodge is obviously key here. Not to mention that the added protection tallies well with Diving Tackle, giving you more confidence to put your blitzers in where they can use DT.

I took Wrestle on my first blitzer, and to be honest it feels like a skill that will be more valuable at higher TVs. Right now it seems substandard compared to Block.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

DamianTheLost wrote:If you've made an excel sheet, could you post it for download?
I used to have one ages ago but, with the BABBL Website new site, it's no more...

Or find me on YouTube!