Summoners Circle – Slann Blog – Part 3 (On Hold)

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Summoners Circle – Slann Blog – Part 3 (On Hold)

Post by bouf »

“Deep in the darkest depths of the Pacific lies the hideous monolith-crowned citadel of R’lyeh, the sunken tomb city where Great Cthulhu lies dead and dreaming. Horrors of gargantuan proportion slumber there, and they whisper to the minds of those we would label as ‘insane’. Within this maddening swirl of incomprehensible terror the Old Ones master cults determined to bring about the awakening.

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange æons even death may die.”

~//~

The R’LYEH SUMMONERS

The Summoners are a Slann team devoted to Great Cthulhu!
As I mentioned in my First Blog I have dedicated the team to the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets and the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft was an influential horror writer around the early 1900s. Many of today’s ‘Masters of Horror’ credit him for creating the modern Horror Genre. If you’ve never read his stuff, do yourself a treat and pick up a book from your local. It takes a little getting used to the ol’ timey style of writing, but there is some great stuff in there. The Thickets are an awesome independent band from Chilliwack in B.C. Canada. They have also devoted themselves to the works of H.P. Lovecraft and if you haven’t heard of them before, the band’s My Space Page has a few free songs on it if you wish to have a listen. The unique thing about the Cthulhu Mythos is that most of the material isn’t conventionally copyrighted. Fan fiction and early works by collaborative writers have all had just as much valid input to the Mythos as Lovecraft. There is a huge world of Mysterious Terror and Twisted Cults lying behind the world we know… One Glimpse is enough to shatter a mans sanity and destroy truths you have always believed were incontrovertible!

GW has borrowed quite heavily from Lovecraft in their creation of a Back Story for the Slann and the Lizardmen. There are obvious references to the Cthulhu Mythos – bordering on copying directly – as great beings from our forgotten history came to earth and wage war on apocalyptic scales. Finally a great catastrophe sealed their fate, Dead but waiting. Prophesised to return, and dreaming… plotting … influencing!

Now these younger Slann, The Summoners, have taken matters into their own hands. Somehow, the BABBL championship plays a part. Soon the stars will be right. They will awaken Cthulhu and initiate the beginning of the end. The Continent of R’lyeh will rise and man will learn of new ways to frolic… to enjoy them selves. Out of the Ashes a new order will rise!

(See how much fun this is!)

This isn’t my first time out with Slann. In the BABBL pre-season (before we got the website) I played them for 12 games and finished with a 6-1-5 record. In BABBL season 2, I saw more success and achieved a 13-1-5 record. I didn’t manage an appearance in the Mid-Season Dungeon Match (missed by one game – lost to woodies) but finished 5th over all in the regular season and advanced to the ¼ finals where I lost to a Skaven team who would achieve a 2nd place finish. Really, it was my worst season thus far in BABBL… I finished 2nd in Season 1 with Amazons and 3rd in Season 3 with The Goon Squad (my most recent Orc Team) but I still feel as though the Slann had an awesome potential. If I was a little luckier or maybe a better coach, I could have taken them all the way!

Well, now’s my chance to prove it!

The Sums finished Season three as a 223 point team. I had a blitzer killed right before the finals (the only player killed on the team!) so I’m dragging around a rookie positional at the moment, but there are some real note worthy stars on the team.

Danny Glands
Unofficial Thrower; Sure Hands, Dodge, +AG. SPP=44
Danny is great as a thrower even though he doesn’t have any passing skills. The big fear is the dreaded fumble, but with the changes to Safe Throw, a doubles roll will fix the worries there. (even better that he can negate an intercept on a 2+) He can leap onto a ball under coverage and recover it with a 2+, then dodge out reliably to hand it off or throw it away. If he doesn’t roll doubles when he hits 51, I’ll take Kick Off Return, so he can comfortably covet the back field on his own.

Bubba Longshanks
Man Mountain; Block, Guard, Stand Firm. SPP=33
Who doesn’t love a Kroxigor with Block??? What an awesome reliable player. The Big Meat Shield had even niggled Glart Smashrip Jr. in one game (first dice thrown for the game) then killed a journeyman, then Badly Hurt a Skaven Lineman. A Casualty Hat-trick in just three rolls! Next skill for him would be Break Tackle. If I rolled doubles I’d take either Pro or Dodge. Pro to negate Loner, Dodge for it’s synergy with Break Tackle and to keep him on his feet in the fight!

"The Rookie" Adam Baum
Catching sensation; Dodge, +AG, Pass Block, +ST. SPP=65
The Rook was drafted after the season started and earned his nick name after getting him self badly Hurt on a GFI into the endzone. He also fumbled the Pass that led to the Sums loss to the Wood elves that denied our entry to the Season 2 Dungeon. But he has been on fire since then… He has made it his mission to prove that he isn’t some pointless screw up. With Pass Block and 3+ intercept chance, he is a great big pain for my opposition. Even better with his recent ST increase. Next skill will be Block, no mater what I roll!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
Unassuming Terror; Wrestle. SPP=15
Alright… a simple lineman with wrestle doesn’t seem all that “Terrible” but he is a killer! Out of only six recorded casualties, he has 1 niggle and 4 kills to his name. Three of those were beyond the help of the Apothecary! Two of those were from blocks thrown by the opposition (Double Skull Sucka!) in the ¼ final game against the Eshin Stills.

Son of Tsathoggua
KILLING MACHINE! Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, +ST, Pile On. SPP=89
The Son won the Season two ‘Most Casualty’ Medal (with 20) and tied for the 'Most Kills' medal (with 5) all without the help of Pile On! I rolled his final skill at the end of the final game of the season. I can’t wait to see what he can do in Season 4! He'll hunt down threatening opponents and smash them flat (dice willing) then hop to his feet and do it all again. He also killed the Season One ‘All star’ & ‘Most Touchdowns’ Medal winner in the final game of the season, he wasn’t saved by the apoth because The Son had just niggled his brother (the soon-to-be Season Two All Star) in the previous turn and the Apoth was a little Busy tending to him!

~//~

Alright, I’ve introduced the team and showcased the stars… Before the next blog I hope to have fine tuned the player profiles and added a little more personality to the team. I’m also looking to create a new team symbol and line up some “Fancy” minis! So keep yours peeled for the eye candy!

I'll also chat about my Team Strategy and Skill Paths

Reason: ''
~ bouf - Find me on Board Game Geek
Or find me on YouTube!
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Sorry for entering your blog but I have to say - LOVLEY!!! Thats some solid and fun background that makes the team more than just numbers!!

Mephisto
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mephisto »

I really like your blog and stories...

there's only a thing I want to comment: You are a lucky bastard!!! :wink: Hell, I wish I could have the same upgrades you have...

So, the expectations of your fans are high... Win is the only option you have :lol: especially with this team!!!

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Funny that the Summoners' blog should re-emerge as I was just re-reading the old one last night to look for some Slann tactics! :)

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Not an update, but the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets are playing at Cthulhupalooza!

If you are in or around Vancouver, check it out!

< Man I wish I was back in Canada! >

Or find me on YouTube!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Okay, enough shamelessly plugging my fave band... back to Blood Bowl!

~//~

Good news and Bad news.

Summoner Fans, this entry to the Blog shows both promise and failure…

Good News… I had ordered the Goblin Forge frog team and received them in short order, but was ultimately hit with buyers remorse. They are the best team out there currently for Slann, but I just wasn’t impressed once I had them in my hands. It’s not that there is anything wrong, just it turns out that the Frogs aren’t to my taste. So begins the bad news… The season starts in less than a month, and I don’t have minis. I’m placing a Eureka Minis order ASAP (Wednesday maybe) and I’ll be back to Plan A. Which is kinda good news… It means that I will get that team I threatened to buy all those months ago (like 13-14 months). It should look good on the Pitch and website too.

More Good News!
With the success of the BABBL Raffle last season, I will be holding another this season and have donated my new Frog minis to that. So if there are people out there who want to spend a couple of bucks on a shot at the Frogs, painted and all, your chance will come. Sart, our in league paint master, has donated his services and reckons that he’ll get them looking sweet. More bad news! That means that I’m out of pocket near $150AUD... But since all the league fees come out of my pocket, I guess it balances out… Well, not really but there you go.

More Good News! I’ve played a pair of practice games and won them both 3-1. I came out ahead against the Norse and Vampires and am getting back into the swing of things. Those AG5 catchers are just magical… Leap into a zone on 2+, Pick up the ball on 2+, dodge into a zone on 2+, dodge out on 2+, Short pass on 2+… Next AG5 catcher: Catch in a TZ & in the Rain 2+, leap over mark on 2+, dodge out on 2+, GOAL! More Bad news! I’m really over relying on my catchers… My Blitzers haven’t seen the ball at all in both of those games. Must work on that!

More Good News! I have an awesome Idea for a Team Symbol (More details to come) and it isn’t to “Blood Bowl” while remaining a little “Foot Ball”. If I can get this guy looking sweet, I’m going to get a shirt made. Depending on the Price of a bulk order, I may gauge the likelihood of selling them on Cthulhu and/or Lovecraftian forums. The Lovecraft followers love a good joke and a R’Lyeh Foot ball team may just appeal to them. If I can get this idea that far, I’ll do it with the theory of selling them “at/near cost”. I don’t want to make any money, just get geeks to wear my team shirt! More Bad News! I’m rubbish with this kind of thing. I want a “Mascot” looking thing that would pass off as a real sports logo… What the hell do I know about that kind of thing??? I have some mates looking at it for me, but any suggestions, please let me know.

Not much else to report for now… Thanks for reading!

Or find me on YouTube!
NightDragon 2
Star Player
Star Player

Post by NightDragon 2 »

Great blog mate, well done. I would just like to add that I have read nearly all of Lovecraft's work and if you have not read it yet then I suggest you do so. Its fantastic stuff. Likewise with Moorcroft which GW has so shamelessly stolen from.
Anyone great blog.

Purity Through Pain!
NUFFLE SUCKS!!
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Spew...

Cash is way too tight again this season... The Sums will have to attempt another come back in season 5.

I just can't get these minis off the ground...

Or find me on YouTube!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Explanation Required…

Alright, I had a few dollars set aside to buy the minis I want, but there have been a few problems since then.

1) I landed a new job and that’s great (Government work for the win) however there is a pay cut attached… so there is a little income lost
2) I’m a contractor at the moment so that means no Pay over the Christmas holidays
3) My laundry machine just broke down and the repair bill cost more than the buy price (so there goes more money for a new washer)

Add all this up and my window to buy the minis before S4 was shut before I could get around to it. But fear not Summoner Fans!!! I’m still keen to get the team rolling. Keep Watching and we’ll see what the future holds.

For those of you that like to read my Blogs… I will be back in the “Thug Tank!” chronicling my Orc team, The Rockey Mountain Goon Squad, as they make a return to BABBL and try to take the Cup!

Thanks For Reading

Or find me on YouTube!
oryxwild
Experienced
Experienced

Post by oryxwild »

looking at the roster, I've gotta say, beyond being behind in the skill race, I don't see any weaknesses on the team! Leap and VLL for 10k, agi4 2+ leaping catchers... What's the downside? I look at the team and think "wow I could rape the scoreboard with that team", but I'm sure tom and the crew wouldn't have put them out there if they weren't balanced.

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

They aren't easy, but once they get developed, they are really good. The downside will be once I get some lasting injuries inflicted. Buying back non-skilled "Positionals" to replace players that have taken time to get the basic skills required to accomplish their job is painful!

That and the Silly High Team Value!

Or find me on YouTube!
Mephisto
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mephisto »

So what?

I was considering getting those GF minis, but the high price and some of their sculpts created some doubts in me? What is the problem with them?

oryxwild
Experienced
Experienced

Post by oryxwild »

yeah, I'd imagine that getting a noob blitzer enough spps to replace a 4 or 5 skill blitzer would take ... well, he might die a few times before it happened, in a mature league.

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

I wasn't entirely happy with the over all look of the "team"

The minis aren't bad as individuals, but have little to tie them in with one another. They are dressed differently for instance. So once you paint them, the ones with Shirts will stand out against the ones without.

The Blitzers are slightly smaller than the linemen...

One of the catchers feet broke off almost as soon as I got him out of the bag, and with it the Base tag...

The minis aren't really that bad, but just weren't what I hoped to buy when I forked out the $150AU

Or find me on YouTube!
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Well Well, Thread Necro in effect!

There isn't much for me to say here except that if you havent seen the Rolljordan Frogmen, You are missing out!

I've Purchased a Team (so no more excuses) and a League member is painting them!

For BABBL Season V it'll still be the Goon Squad, but Season VI will see the return of the Summoners!

Or find me on YouTube!