swntzu's Khemri blog

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

swntzu's Khemri blog

Post by swntzu »

I hope this is okay for me to post as I am quite new to blood bowl but I thought I'd give some feedback on how my new khemri team is doing in the Edinburgh league being run by Hoomin.

Lineup
4 Tomb Guardians
1 Blitz-Ra
2 Thro-Ras
4 Skellies
3 Rerolls

4 tomb guardians were a must really and I didn't trust my dice enough not to take two thro-ras. In my mind having two players who can effectively handle the ball is very handy. 3 rerolls are a must for me as I tend to roll a lot of double skulls.

Game 1 against Purdindas (Orcs)
Result: 0-2 and 0-3 on casualties

This game was against an experienced coach using one of the teams he knows well. Weather was fine all game and there were no crazy kickoff table rolls.

The orcs won the toss and took eight turns to grind up the pitch. I had no problem knocking the orcs down due to the high strength of the TGs but lack of mighty blow lost me as least two casualties and meant I had trouble breaking armour. I only managed to KO two orcs while he managed to ko one of my TGs (who never came back) and killed a skeleton who failed a regen.

When I received in the second half I got a touchback so gave it to one of my TGs. I tried to grind up one side of the pitch but lack of players meant I had real trouble doing this. Eventually my ball carrier failed a two dice blitz which would have seen him within scoring distance. Eventually the orcs got hold of the ball and stalled out for another touchdown.

In summary, regen saved my blitz-ra from being badly hurt and a thro-ra from missing the next game. Armour 9 saved me once from a block although I have yet to see the effects of decay. Movement 4 was very useful for moving my tomb guard to where I needed them and helped me get a blitz from prone. Thick Skull had no effect.

Post game MVP went to a Thro-Ra but no other SPPs :(. Dead skelly means a journeyman for the next game but no serious stuff other than that. Tomb guardians will definitely be getting mighty blow as their first skill.

Reason: ''
swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

Two games to report:

Game 2 against Dwarfs
Result: 0-1 and 0-1 on casualties

In summary, the lack of ability to bash any dwarves off the pitch meant that I was lacking bodies for most of the game. Even though the dwarven blocks didn't do a huge amount of damage they refused to even get KOed. By contrast all 4 of my fouls resulted in being sent off while not doing much. I had the opportunity to score in my last turn to get a draw but the tomb guardian carrying the ball failed the first of his two GFI rolls (no rerolls left).

The thro-ra ended up being smacked about a lot with the lack of block on the roster beginning to show. The blitz-ra put on a good show and managed to stay on his feet most of the time due to block. Armour 9 saved a tomb guardian once and of course the lack of mighty blow cost me several vital stuns that I needed.

MVP went to the same thro-ra who got it last time, giving him a normal skill: block.

Game 3 against Goblins
Result: 1-1 and 5-3 on casualties

This game almost made me cry. In the first half I had got hold of the ball and the defence and was all set to crawl up the pitch and score in turn 8 but an extremely lucky 2 dice against knockdown from a goblin meant that the ball ended up bouncing off the pitch and towards my end zone. The ensuing scramble for the ball resulted in the goblins scoring...

With me receiving the second half went a little better. I managed to get hold of the ball but made an error that allowed the ball to be carried away by the pogo and a series of ridiculous dodges made it diffucult for me to get hold of the ball. Eventually I managed to knock down the pogo with my blitz-ra and score with my blocking thro-ra.

A journey skeleton was killed in the second half by a goblin but the two casualties caused by a lone troll (the other one being knocked out and refusing to come back) were regenerated.

All in all this game was a farce but that's the way the dice roll. I had a scare when a troll broke armour on my tomb guardian and rolled a 9 for injury. Fortunately mighty blow had already been used. I had saved enough cash for another blitz-ra so I am now down to one journeyman again. My other blitz-ra gained a double skill: dodge.

purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

You forgot to mention it was me who got a draw with my goblins :P

My secret weapons were quite innefective. Chainsaw got a K.O. and the rest got squished. I sacrificed my pogoer who got the ball hoping he would be crowd pushed and the ball thrown away from my end-zone by the crowd but the ball bounced in field. A close game.

My comments on Khemri: They really suffer from lack of AG and overall speed. TG's effectiveness is completely lessoned by the lack of MB. Good use could be made of the movement 4 for mobile cages and blitzting. Swntzu's team would have been more affective with an extra Blitzra and a few subs. I'm curious to see how they develop.

My comments on the Goblins: with injury roll of 9 now being BH this was a great help as it saved two of my Gobbo's from what could have potentially been worse. The pogoer being a non-secret weapon helps a bit. I normally wouldn't bother taking him on an LRB5 goblin team but decided to use him in the current league because he will not get sent off after the drive. I didnt get a chance to handle the ball with the bomber or looney. I look forward to the cahinsaw getting the ball. That could be a laugh. Overall the goblin team hasn't changed much but access to the bribes at 50.000 will help me mangle a few more players. 8)

swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

purdindas wrote:You forgot to mention it was me who got a draw with my goblins :P
I did it to stop the strain on your neck from your already inflated head lol.

It was a good game although I don't think Khemri suits my style at all. The lack of ability to dodge at all is something I don't like. I don't think I will be using them much in the future past St Andrew's and the comedy 5 mummy team. Or maybe Setekh...

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

You're starting off about how I did early on ... basically I lost a lot of games due to some bad dice ... some bad team issues ... maybe bad coach issues ;) ...

I found one of the critical keys to success was just trying to keep as many guys on the field as possible [duh]. For example I wouldn't foul unless the game situation DEMANDED the foul. I would also try to avoid situations where you give the opponnent many easy blocks.

Outside of that it's a game of risk management. For example I wouldn't take blocks that you don't "need" unless they have the block skill ...

Once you start getting decent amounts of Block, Guard, Mighty Blow, Dodge [on the right players], etc. you'll be fine. Until then playing will be painful.

swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

Righteo I got a two games in recently: one at the monkeybowl and another at my club yesterday.

Game 4 against Dark Elves
Result: 2-1 and 3-0 on casualties

This game was played after the first day so we were both pretty tired. The rookie dark elf team had enough in inducements for an apothecary.

The game didn't start too well with the elves scoring quickly but bullying them with the tomb guardians seemed to work well as a good deal of forced dodges were failed. The lack of any players above S3 really seemed to hurt the dark elves. A run of KOs and casualties meant that the dark elves were in serious trouble and I was able to score back comfortably. A chainpush blitz for my tomb guardian allowed me to avoid a dodge with my thro-ra which was nice.

The second half was pretty much academic as I had enough players to dominate the field. Post game-wise nothing significant happened other than purchasing the journeyskelly who pinched my MVP.

Game 5 against Dwarfs
Result: 1-0 and 5-3 on casualties

In what can only be described as an utter bashfest, my khemri performed badly to start off with but pulled through in the end. The dwarfs had some two players with guard and were able to induce boomer.

Pouring rain meant I chose to kick. The first half saw me go down to 6 players and lose a tomb guardian. Fortunately the tomb guardian only suferred two badly hurt results. Regen also saved a thro-ra. The dwarfs never got out of their own half due to turnovers (mostly caused by boomer fumbling the ball three turns in a row.

The second half didn't see the weather change but a touchback meant that I didn't have to deal with picking up the ball on 5s. Playing with 3 tomb guardians was a bit of a challenge but all my luck seemed to materialise at once with 5 casualties popping in three or so turns. A double skull meant that my ball carrier got sacked but in a series of crazy dice rolls he was able to gain a casualty, stun another dwarf and pick up the ball on a with a 6 to score in turn 8.

Two tomb guardians skilled up (one using the MVP) and gained guard. One rolled +AG but this would have served no purpose other than to bloat the TV. The thro-ras are sitting on 12 and 13 SPPs each and my crazy blitz-ra is now on 5 so there is potential for more skillage there.

Asariel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Asariel »

swntzu wrote:. A double skull meant that my ball carrier got sacked but in a series of crazy dice rolls he was able to gain a casualty, stun another dwarf and pick up the ball on a with a 6 to score in turn 8.
Stunned two dorfs and cas one in three turns! That was a mad little play down in the line those last few turns, guy deserved a medal. I'll have a go against them at some point, need to play Gav to get around everyone first. (and to get the ST5 roadblock back ;))

swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

Arkzein wrote:Stunned two dorfs and cas one in three turns! That was a mad little play down in the line those last few turns, guy deserved a medal. I'll have a go against them at some point, need to play Gav to get around everyone first. (and to get the ST5 roadblock back ;))
Turns out I miscalculated my casualties and he didn't get an advance after all. Need to hit somebody else before he gets a skill.

Not sure what to take on him when the time comes though.

swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

Another week and another game. The crazy blitz-ra received enough SPPs to gain an advance but more on that later.

Game 6 against Humans
Result: 2-2 and 3-0 on casualties

TV difference between the khemri and the humans was only 110k so my opponent opted for two babes. I was quite relieved that he didn't induce helmut.

After choose to kick, my opponent got a blitz and managed to get a catcher under the ball. Most of my team was sitting on the LoS so I had real trouble getting back to deal with the humans. He managed to stall a few turns out before I seriously threatened the ball carrier. I managed to grind down the pitch in the remaining 6 turns to score in good time.

The second half saw the humans score relatively quickly. I prepared to grind out for the draw but a pitch invasion put a spanner in the works. Fortunately I managed to stun a good number of his players and a late run of three casualties ensured that I managed to equalise.

I didn't play all too well in this game as I used solo runs to get my touchdowns. In future I must remember not to get carrier away but instead stick to good old caging.

The unskilled blitz-ra advanced on a double 5 and one of the thro-ras gained another normal skill (he already has block). Any ideas?

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

For Throra, I'd go with kick-off return.

Not sure about the blitzra. I always like MA and dodge, but I'm not sure MA will be good, since you have your throra to collect the ball (and keep it all game). And an AG2 player with dodge won't be dodging much - and you won't have many dodgers so opposing tacklers can all focus on him.

Oh heck - I'd probably take dodge anyway.

But in theory I think blitzras should have mighty blow and piling on to draw firepower away from the TGs.
So perhaps jump up (even on a 3+) could be wicked.

What do I know? :wink: :roll:

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

The team roster is as follows:

Code: Select all

Position         MA   ST   AG   AV    SPP  Skills

Tomb Guardian    4    5    1     9     6    Guard
Tomb Guardian    4    5    1     9     9    Guard
Tomb Guardian    4    5    1     9     0 
Tomb Guardian    4    5    1     9     2
Blitz-Ra         6    3    2     8     11   Dodge
Thro-Ra          6    3    2     7     19   Block, Normal Skill
Thro-Ra          6    3    2     7     12   Block
Blitz-Ra         6    3    2     8     7    Double 5
Skeleton         6    3    2     8     2 
Skeleton         6    3    2     8     2
Skeleton         6    3    2     8     5
Skeleton         6    3    2     8     0
Skeleton         6    3    2     8     5

Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Definitely kick-off return on the Thro-Ra. Need to get that ball in a cage ASAP, especially if you face teams with the Kick skill. May have helped on that Blitz Kick-Off result too, potentially.

For the Blitz-Ra, I'd be very tempted with Dodge as your other Blitzer has Dodge as well. But that depends on how much tackle you think you will be facing. I don't think that I'd go for the MA on the Blitz-Ra. The AV, nope.

You could give him Jump-Up so that you can give him Piling-On later. That depends on the length of your league. Jump-Up is not that useful right now (although still OK), so it is not as effective as Mighty Blow or Tackle or Frenzy in the short term.

But you definitely wouldn't go wrong with Mighty Blow, Guard, Tackle or Frenzy.

My opinion: Jump-Up, then give him Mighty Blow followed by Piling-On. If you get to more skills than that, then polish it off with Tackle or Frenzy or both.

Cramy
katadder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by katadder »

i love dodge on my blitz ras, but then my team tend to actually do some dodging to try stop scoring, have even had a TG manage to dodge but my blitz ras and skeles dodge fairly regularly. perhaps I have too much pointy eared blood

[quote="Panda"]I blame katadder for my inevitable downfall :wink:[/quote]
swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

I'd like to point out that the dodge is mainly for keeping them on their feet and not for risking 4+ dodges.

purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Plasmoid has a great point. Kick of return is a great skill. You should definetely consider it. Think about the other teams in the league. Are their a few elfy teams or are they mostly bashy? I would be tempted to ignore the double and take tackle, frenzy or mighty blow. If you want the double sure feet, leader or dodge could be useful. If you find yourself GOI alot then+ 1 move could be the way forward.

You should put up a summary of your results so far. i.e. W/D/L record.