Ghrond Shadows

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Ghrond Shadows

Post by Pagan »

Decided to start running one for my Dark Elf team. They’ve got a season and a half under them already, but I still have write-ups for many games and stats for the others. I’ll start at the beginning and work on through. But it helps me pass time at work. I am by no means a good writer or am trying to be one.

Some notes. The first season was a round robin pairing with no playoffs, using the Chaos Cup as the trophy up for grabs. All players were new to the game except me. I played in 1988?ish with the Red and Blue orc/human players I still have. No one took rerolls to start with. A mistake no one has made since.

Player names are a mishmash of references to other games, family members, random elf sounding names. Funny fact is it is the only of my 4 teams not to have a blatant Futurama reference on it.

Ghrond Shadows

Home stadium: Ghrond Coliseum
Capacity: 21000 + standing room for visitors.
Surface: Snow/Ice covered dirt.
Team Nickname: Shadows
Coach: Pagan

Roster: current as of Match 4 vs Bosom Buddies.

02 Celés Çhére................ Witch Elf.... 7,3,4,7...Frenzy, Dodge, Jump Up, Block
13 Lucita y Aragón........... Assassin.... 6,3,4,7...Shadowing, Stab, Dodge, Block
22 Çefca Palôoza............. Runner...... 7,3,4,7....Dump Off, Strong Arm
42 Blöod Clôt................... Blitzer...... 7,3,4,8....Block, Dodge
43 Mårcus Vitèl................ Blitzer...... 7,3,4,8....Block, Dodge
44 Reggìe Frìght............... Blitzer...... 7,3,4,8....Block
70 Mckyll Kíth................... Lineman... 6,3,4,8....Block
71 Lambach Solhath.......... Lineman... 6,3,4,8....
72 Lùis Ämerillís Malaché..... Lineman.. 6,3,4,8....
73 Trâsh Jacksòn............... Lineman.. 6,3,4,8....Block
74 Kèenå Lineman.............. Lineman.. 6,3,4,9....+1 AV
78 Ethër "The Fist" Pill-Männ Lineman.. 6,3,4,8....Block

Team Strategy:

Offense.
Overload one side, using one or two players to keep a zone defense on the weak side to give Cefca time to pick up the ball and keep it safe. Ideally fight on the line hoping for a stalemate at the worst, and once someone gets through the line, Cefca moves up and tosses to them for a score. If the fight is going well, the ball may be held near the middle for protection or on the goal line as I inflict hurt, running the clock out. Especially true in the first half if I stopped their drive as I prefer to always kick. If battle on the line is going bad, or I wish to have more chances at K.O. recovery then I’ll score as soon as possible.

Defense.
More opponent driven than the offense. Against bashy teams the minimum 3 players on the line with zone protection behind them, avoiding remaining in tackle zones when possible and slowing down their movement. Generally only Cefca as a 1 deep Safety for keeping a quick breakout from going uncontested and to be in position to quickly move up for an assist/hole plug.

Against agile teams, a general attempt at a zone defense early to slow down catchers, and if possible a couple players sneak around their front line to prevent as much dodging away as possible. Bash and have the safeties tie up catchers who break through the line.

Skill up goals: (thoughts at start of league)
Block Dodge as soon as possible on most Blizters/Lineman. Then positional skills and skill negating skills(Tackle).
Kick or some other random skill possible on isolated players.
Witch Elves: Block first to save rerolls, variable ideas after that.
Assassin: Block Dodge as I expected her to be a target, with Sidestep also considered.
Runners: 1 becomes a passer one a catcher.

Double options:
Guard, Guard, and Guard.
Strong Arm on Thrower Runner
Multi Block for Assassin.

Starting team consisted of:(LRB5)

1 Witch Elf Celes Chere
1 Assassin Lucita y Aragon
1 Runner Cefca Palooza
2 Blitzers Blood Clot and Marcus Vitel
7 Lineman Mckyll Kith, Winchester, Lambach Solhath, Luis Amerilius Malache, Trash Jackson, Keena, Ether “The Fist” Pillman
0 Apothecary
0 Rerolls, cheerleaders, or assistant coaches
0 Fan Factor

Season 1: Chaos Cup 1 (2009) Round Robin format, play each team twice. This was our first season. Some coaches showed more skill adapting than others.

Teams participating:

Ghrond Shadows Dark Elf
Bosom Buddies Amazon
Tartarusian Eradicators Chaos
Super Dorc Team Orc
Norse Norse
Whispering Eyez Wood Elf

Reason: ''
Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Chaos Cup 1 vs Super Dorc Team

Post by Pagan »

Jim Johnson: ...highlights from earlier games: Ghrond Shadows (0-0-0) vs Super Dorc Team (0-0-0). The Shadows scored on their opening drive, after a failed pass down field was picked up by the intended receiver and ran into the end zone. The orcs slowly pushed up field but allowed Blooog to get blitzed from behind and fumbled, leading to a scramble that ended at halftime. The second half started off with a Riot and the loss of three turns each. The orcs received the kick and tried to push down field, but again opened up a big hole that allowed a dark elf to sneak through the line and take down Blooog. After a few scrambles Lambach Solhath of the Shadows managed to sprint the ball into the end zone for a 2-0 lead. The rowdy fans again caused a problem, this time invading the field, stunning several players. This allowed the Orcs to sneak through a weakened left of the Elf Defense and after several turns had a last chance to break the shutout, but the pass was not caught by the intended receiver, leaving them high and dry, ending the game in a dismal failure for the Orcs. Final score: Shaows 2 Orcs 0.

Notes:
Being our first league game, it involved a ton of stoppages. Neither coach had any real strategy and the dice decided as much as the coaches did.

Lessons learned: Orcs beat the snot out of Dark Elves in a fight. His troll and black orcs gave me fits all game, so I started moving players away from them and holding them up with a lineman as i went after the relatively weaker players.

Income of 80k, so I bought the Apothecary. I also noticed the fun that could be had in doing more in depth write-ups.

Player Development:
#13 Lucita Assassin Gained a normal skill, chose Dodge for mobility protection and defense against hits.

Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Chaos Cup 1 vs Tartarusian Eradicators

Post by Pagan »

Ghrond Shadows (1-0-0) vs Tartarusian Eradicators (0-0-0)

Jim Johnson- The Tartarusian Eradicators visited the Ghrond Shadows for their first game of Blood Bowl 1. Calling what transpired tonight a game is an insult to every other contest that has come before or will come after. The Eradicators played one of the worst matches possible, failing to even pick the ball up. No that wasn't a metaphor or exaggeration, they never picked the ball up.

The game opened with a Riot, as likely one of the Chaos players saw what was going to happen today during the game and attempted to change the outcome. The Eradicators then won the coin toss(the only way the word "win" could be used with them). Their opening drive failed when after kicking the ball around, the Shadows managed to break through their lines, and Ethër "The Fist" Pill-Männ picked up the ball and ran it into the end zone by the end of Turn 2. While this was occurring, Antonius "The Thief" Fellonius was caught attempting to injure a Shadow's player, and was subsequently saved from being accused of participating in the humiliation to come.

The second drive started off as bad as the first for the Eradicators. They managed to hold the line longer this time, but continued to watch the ball elude their grasp. After kicking it around for three turns, Mårcus Vitèl managed to pick it up and run into end zone for a score making it 2-0. The rest of the first half ended without any significant plays. The Eradicators failed to move the ball at all, it never leaving their half of the field.

The second half began with a Pitch Invasion. Morloch the Confessor, their star Minotaur, and three other Eradicators' players got the crap beat out of them. Judging by the results of the invasion, there weren't very many Eradicators' fans left in the stands. It likely was for the better since if there were any left it would have been a full war instead.

The Shadows drive started as they moved the ball down field by the weakened line of the Eradicators. Trash Jackson took a cheap shot and was busted, being thrown in the jail for attempting to injure. Why the refs didn't think the Eradicators should be jailed for impersonating a Blood Bowl team is beyond me. The drive ended in three turns as Çefca Palôoza completed a pass to Ethër for his second touchdown of the game to take the score to 3-0.

The following kickoff started great for the Eradicators, about to escape the funk they were in. Funk caused by Morloch the Confessor I must report. They got a Quick Snap and were in great position to score. However the drive stalled as they setup to run the ball downfield but again failed to pickup the ball.

The Shadows were looking to score a fourth time, pushing down the field hoping to get the ball. A few traded turns back and forth resulted in no major change in the game, but we did finally see some life out of the Eradicators. Chunky Monkey III apparently took offense to Ethër scoring more touchdowns than he is capable of counting(two for the record) and decided kicking him when he was down better than trying to score. The ref failed to notice these blatant attacks for two turns, probably trying to make up for a lost bet on the game as the Shadows easily covered any spread. In another show of life, Morloch the Confessor finally stops roaring and does something. He goes nuts and pushes Çefca around and then into the stands. But since by this time no Eradicators' fans remained, except the ones who burned their old jerseys and were now wearing Shadows' colors, he was uninjured.

The Shadows decided to start showing off, and Lambach attempted to chuck the ball a far 10 paces, but failed to complete the pass. I think they were just imitating the Eradicators' ineptness to this point of the game for the enjoyment of the fans, who had lost any chance of seeing a decent contest. Chunky again tries to injure Ethër and fails. Not only can't they play Blood Bowl, the Eradicators can't even hurt someone when they try.

The Shadows score their final touchdown when Winchester throws a pass to a wide open Lucita who too drops the pass, much to the delight of the fans again thinking they are imitating the Eradicators. She then picks the ball up after a scrum for it and Dodges her way past three Eradicators for the final score of the game.

The rest of the game ended uneventfully, and the final score was 4-0 in favor of the Shadows. The Eradicators failed to ever pick the ball up, and it only ended up in the Shadows end of the field once after a kickoff. I have to wonder if the Shadows were using some illegal magic, due to Ghrond being the home of the Sorceresses and the Shadows their preferred team. Ethër was selected as the MVP for the Shadows, with two touchdowns and a spectacular game. Antonius was selected as the Eradicators MVP, if anyone could be called valuable in that game. His saving grace is since he was tossed out for fouling when it was only 1-0, he wasn't on the field for the remainder of the humiliation.

Notes:

Team additions/subtractions:
Purchased Apothecary before match.

Wow is all I have to say about this game, even today after all the others I have played. I've never seen dice rolls go against anyone so bad as this before or since. The write-up was written harsh since that coach was laughing at my first opponent when he left holes in his defense letting me go though, so I figured he was due some payback.

I was worried about the minotaur, but the Beastmen with horns turned out to be the biggest annoyance, since I couldn't do much to prevent a 2 die block that resulted in many 2 die blocks.

By the end of this game I started to develop the tactics I still use today, and I remember a specific turn where one blitz opened up 4-5 other blocks to be 2 die.

Player Advancement:

# 78 Ether "The Fist" Pillmann Lineman Gained a normal skill. By this time I saw the power of Block, so he joined the front lines.

SirShadowcat
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Ghrond Shadows

Post by SirShadowcat »

Great report! :)

Can you remember how the team evolved so that you can post the players advancement?

Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pagan »

I can figure it out, and went back for the first 2 games and entered it in. Everything should work out in the end.

Match: Ghrond Shadows(2-0-0) vs Whispering Eyez (0-1-0)
The game between arch rival Elven tribes started off well for the Shadows, totally dominating the first drive. The Shadows were moving the ball up field without much issue, and were beating the tree sap out of the Wood Elven team. After a few extra stomps totally ignored by the Ref, the Shadows ran the ball in to take the score up 1-0.

After the first drive, the Eyez must have finally woken up. Well, to be fair, half the team woke up after the first kick-off due to smelling salts being waved under their noses. The Eyez tried moving the ball up field, but were not having any great luck pushing through the Shadows’ line. After a few unfortunate attempts by their pair of Wardancers, the Eyez gave up a golden chance to score in the first half. One might wonder why these two Wardancers are playing Blood Bowl instead of fighting in the Army, until one sees their ability to win a one on one battle without using weapons. Stiffy the Treeman was having fun beating on Blöod Clôt, but failed to inflict any lasting harm beyond some splinters.

The Shadows cornered the ball in the Eyez’ end, and were about to score on the 6th turn of the half. McKyll Kyth must have started celebrating a bit early, as he tripped over the goal line when trying to stretch it in for a score. Trash Jackson picked it up the next turn to take the score up to 2-0 in favor of the Shadows. Lucita had been having a good time at it too, with the Eyez thin armor she was having a good time Stabbing her more good cousins.

The second half dawned a bit differently for the Eyez, who came out fighting and were putting a decent beating on the Shadows. Stiffy, the aptly named Treeman started to flash his wood around, sending two Shadows off the pitch and under the care of the Apothecary. Stiffy then showed some life, for a tree, by stomping on a poor defenseless Winchester. Since the Apothecary was too busy saving a worthier player, we’ve had our first death in Blood Bowl 1. While the Eyez were frolicking to celebrate the event, most of the Shadows players just kept pointing at the scoreboard.

Said scoreboard also was soon to change, as another inept drive by the Eyez resulted in Trash again trying to score a touchdown. I’m still not sure if our camra footage was showing a reply from their second touchdown or the presence of a Chaos team in the stands caused a time reply, but again we see McKyll trip over the goal line and Trash pick the ball up and score a touchdown for his second of the game. Seems he was inspired by Ethër’s showing against the Eradicators he wanted to one up him.
The rest of the game resulted in much violence and little attempt to play Blood Bowl, but no other major injuries resulted from the game. MVPs were Keena for the Shadows, and Stiffy for the Eyez due to his two casualty and one kill performance. Final count was: Shadows 3 – Eyez 0.

Roster Changes:
Winchester the Lineman was removed due to a sudden case of death.
Celes the Witch Elf was injured and missing the next game.
Ether(Lineman, Block) was also injured and will miss the next game.

Player Advancement:
22 Cefca the Runner Thrower got a Double Skill, chose Strong Arm in anticipation of a Long Bomb passing game.
73 Trash Jackson due to his 2 TD performance gained Block. My Line was looking pretty solid with that.
74 Keena then rolls a 6+4 10, so I gave him +1 Armor hoping he’d become an anchor later in the league if he survives.

Notes:
Wardancers proved to be as annoying as I thought they would be. Treeman was not as bad as I had expected, and Winchester did a great job keeping him busy until he happened to die. Many failed rolls in this game on a 2+ with a lack of Rerolls everywhere.

Baduk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baduk »

save for re-rolls asap & keep writing!
I can hardly imagine the relief you'll feel when you'll have one or two re-rolls to play with.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

loving it. keep it coming..

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pagan »

Match: Ghrond Shadows(3-0-0) vs Bosom Buddies(1-1-0)

Coming off their win against the Whispering Eyez, the Ghrond Shadows were in a bad state with two players recovering from injuries and the family of Winchester arguing with Shadows’ management over the teams insistence that he was already properly buried since Stiffy the Treeman bashed him several feet into the turf and thereby the family was not entitled to any further compensation. A couple of walk-ons, Tedd Logan and Preston Esquire, got their chance to play for the Shadows in a hope they’ll get noticed and picked up by the team with Celes, the Shadows only Witch Elf, and Ethër the captain of their Lineman out for the match. The Bosom Buddies lost their previous match against the Norse, and were playing without backup catcher Beka Valentine.

The game was delayed due to a massive blizzard hitting the Amazon’s stadium, a rather unusual occurrence in that region of Lustria. The Shadows elected to kick off, and play started with the Amazons trying another one of their unusual formations, the Flying-V. We had a good time with what the V actually referred to, until Lursa, a star Blitzer, overheard us and we saw a look that told us continued laughter was not conducive to our good health. The drive started with an incredible kick by the Shadows, pinning the ball right against the Line of Scrimmage. Due to their Flying-V, the Buddies were all out of position to really start the drive off as they had hoped.

A stalemate resulted over a few turns as neither team was interested in picking the ball up and preferred to try and setup a strong position to defend it. Eventually the ball was picked up by Lambach Solhath and quickly handed back to Mckyll Kyth. The Shadows were setting up a defensive cross in part to defend the ball and the other part to gain a blessing from Khaine as they trudged up field through the blizzard.

At this point we sent Thom Twelvetoes, our Halfling reporter, down to interview the Buddies’ head coach. While he originally protested going down to interview them, the promise they’d bake him an icy bun was all it took to get him waddling. After his initial disappointment of no icy bun awaiting him, and after the fear of an Amazonian beating for even suggesting to them they bake one, he got an interview with the coach. “We’re in a very strong position at this moment, and we think the ball will be ours in only a turn or two. The Shadows have been pushed into a bad position and have no chance to score past our defensive line setup.”

Well the coach managed to get part of that right, they did get the ball within two turns. However, it was due to the arm of Mckyll. He broke out of the Shadows’ defensive formation and ran around the weak side. Somehow through the blizzard he spotted a wide open Blöod Clôt in the end zone and tossed him the ball for a touchdown. The risky pass in the blizzard may not have been necessary if the Shadows just setup a new line of defense, but I think it was due to Mckyll’s new fear of trying to cross a goal line with the ball he got from the previous match.

The drive was punctuated by quite a few hard blocks on the Buddies, but few resulting in more than a little Stunning. Lucita the Shadows top assassin was going to town on the Amazons, until they decided a little brutal revenge was in order for so many holes being poked into what clothing they actually wear. They focused blocks her way and even tried a few fouls to teach her a lesson. So much for the Amazon’s support of the NOW.(Nuffle’s Organized Wenches)

Down 1-0 the Buddies tried to mount a drive before Halftime to tie the game, overloading the left side of the field and pushing hard. The drive stalled as the Shadows adjusted fairly well, leaving the Buddies little to do but chuck the ball back and forth. The half ended with them not being able to score, but not before Çefca Palôoza vented his frustration in not being able to injure any of the Amazons with a foul that got him tossed out of the game.

Starting the second half with the ball, but only being able to field 10 players due to Çefca watching the game from the jail, caused many concerns for the Shadows since the Amazons still had all 12 of their players.

The Shadows focused left and were about to push the ball into a very secure position, when Keena fumbled the pickup, giving four uncontested Amazons a chance to push down field and run it into the end zone. Much cursing was heard coming from the Shadows’ side of the field, until he saw an Amazon sprint up and also fumble the ball up, giving Keena a chance to redeem himself and avoid an Altar. The Shadows did recover, and caused Thom to hide in an empty barrel of Bugman’s XXXXXX that he is still in awaiting a rampage from the Amazonian coach. Lucita ran back and picked up the ball and moved it to the relative safety net the Shadows had set up. A few turns of jockeying for position allowed her to run through the line, and toss the ball up to Journeyman Tedd Logan who took it into the end zone for a 2-0 lead.

The remainder of the game didn’t result in much, except for more hate on the Shadows’ Assassin and the Buddies’ Blitzers. No serious injuries resulted from the remainder of the game or even during it, with both Amazonian Linewomen recovering from their injuries, but Cindy needed the help of the Apothecary to bring her back from the brink of death. Final score was Ghrond Shadows 2 – Bosom Buddies 0. MVP’s were Blöod Clôt for his touchdown and near kill, and Chiana for an overall good game.

Roster Changes:
Both Journeyman were let go, even with Tedd Logan scoring a touchdown. The money was still tight and the Shadows were expecting a young Blitzer to be ready for prime time.
Added a new Blizter, #44 Reggie Fright.

Player Advancement:
#42 Blöod Clôt picked up his first skill, resulting in Dodge.
#43 Mårcus Vitèl also got a skill, making for 2 Blodgers.

Notes:
I went in expecting to stomp them into the ground, and it didn’t happen. Dodge all over proved to be rather annoying, and one of the Blitzers had Guard, which was causing me fits. The Blizzard didn’t end up having much impact, since neither coach was ever in a position to toss the ball far downfield. I did get a great laugh when he said during the game I had no chance to score, and then I did the next turn, so had to add that in.

Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pagan »

I had write-ups for these next few matches, but they’ve been lost in time. So from now til game 15, it is all from memory and stat sheets.

Match: Ghrond Shadows(4-0-0) vs Bosom Buddies(2-2-0)

Jim Johnson- Well we’re up here in Ghrond, for the second matchup between Ghrond Shadows and the Bosom Buddies. We didn’t see much at the first game due to the intense Blizzard in the jungle, but that won’t be a problem tonight. Up here in the Frozen Wastes of Ghrond, we’re experiencing some Sweltering Heat. It’s the Chaos Cup I tell you. It passed through here the other night on a tour of all the participating cities, and if Thom can do some research for me, I’d wager the same was true down in Lustria right before that match.

The Shadows have been inactive since their last meeting, but the Buddies played a match against the Super Dorc Team, beating them handily 2-0. They have also had some personnel changes, adding 4 new players to their team before the match. This helped to make them the favorite going into the game, with a shorter bench on the Ghrond side causing concerns for another match likely to contain much fighting.

The game started off fairly slow, with the Shadows kicking to the Buddies. Play moved back and forth, with neither team getting a real advantage. Then an opportune blitz by Cefca fired up the Shadows, because after seeing their star Thrower Runner Knock Out Lursa, they all went on a rampage. By the end of the fourth turn, 7 Buddies were missing from the field. After getting the ball back, Cefca proceeded to throw the ball around for fun, while the remainder of the team took advantage of the numbers on the field. Lucita was having a blast again Stabbing the few remaining Amazons on the field, and was drawing what few hits back they could manage.

Near the end of the half it seemed the Amazons had lost all interest in standing up, preferring to play dead and force the Shadows to use their boots in hopes the refs stop the travesty. The Shadows decide to just let the clock run, giving the five Buddies that were Knocked Out little time to recover before the start of the second half. They wait til the last minute to put the ball in, making the score 1-0 for the half.

Much discussion was had in our booth over the strategy of letting the clock run versus trying to score a second touchdown, and it seems they may have made the wrong decision. Less accustomed to the Searing Heat, the Shadows had 6 players pass out following that drive. I almost have to wonder if the ale barrel had been poisoned, since the chances of that occurring is not likely to happen again.

This left the Shadows with 6 players to set up to receive the kickoff at the start of the second half. The Shadows tried to cover the field as best they could, but that still left much open space. The Amazon kick off landed right on the Line of Scrimmage, and they had decided to start their drive a fraction of a second early, and caught the heat weary Shadows flat-footed. It seemed we may have been in for a repeat of the first half, with the Buddies catching their own kick off and using their numerical advantage to the best they could. This went on for two turns, before a desperate Blitz by two Shadows knocked the ball free, and a panicky Marsha picked up the loose ball and ran it into the end zone.

This short drive and quick break helped the Shadows recover all their players, and they looked to exact some revenge of having their four game shutout streak broken. A promise was heard from the Shadows’ dug out of unflinching violence to be meted out.

The new drive started out great, with Cefca catching the kick off and play beginning. Lucita took out one of the Blizters with a good ole shank to the kidneys. The Shadows pushed around the Amazons, but the promised slaughter was not presenting itself.

Then halfway through the 5th turn, it began. Celes the Witch Elf saw a great opportunity, and Blitzed into the cluster near the sidelines. When it ended, two Amazons were at the mercy of the crowd, being surfed around and then up and over the grandstands. Three blocks after that, two more Amazons were taking dirt naps on the sidelines. Then we saw a general repeat of the first half. The Amazons just stopped getting up and were willing to take the cheap shots.

This led to three Shadows being tossed out of the game, and a final score of 2-1. Even with all the brutality during the game, no one received any Serious Injuries and are probable for their next game.

Roster Changes:
None

Player Advancement:
Celes gained Block.
Lucita gained Block.
McKyll gained Block.

Team design thoughts were to just go Block/Dodge to maximize chances on dice rolls. Celes the Witch Elf for sure needed Block to prevent turnovers. I had stayed away from more positional skills for now.

Notes:
The game was one sided on every drive. In the first half I had just decided to thin their numbers, and wasn’t expecting to lose six players to the Sweltering Heat.
In the second half. The Amazon player was looking to do what I did in the first half and shoot for a 1-1 tie, or even a 2-1 win if I lost enough players quickly. I figured I needed to make him worry and score, so my desperation Blitz worked great. I not only got the ball loose, but ran one of my Lineman downfield to receive a pass on the next turn if he didn’t stop it. This caused him to grab the ball and run it into the end zone, fearing I would score instead and still get my players back.