Wiley Warpstoners - back after 20 years

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Wiley Warpstoners - back after 20 years

Post by ErnieB »

Havent played Blood Bowl since 2nd edition was released but recently got the bug to play. So i researched and found many great resources like this one and also a tournament scene within the U.S. that is super dedicated to the "sport". I decided to grab myself a skaven team since i have always liked them and printed out the latest rules in an attempt to re learn how to play. Adepticon was about 1 month away and i coaxed a friend into going and thus i was able to sign up for my first tournament, Stupor Bowl III( after having first joined the NAF ).

Once i got my minis in i had about 2 weeks to get them painted, plus i was short some players. Fortunately a friend of mine has some and he said i could use them to round out my team i created for the tournament. Luckily they were all unpainted so i was able to start painting them all together. I have NEVER painted but 1 miniature in my entire life so experience is super lacking in that department as well were all the supplies. Once again my friend came to the rescue and allowed me to use all of his supplies to get the team painted. I was happy with my first paint job. Definately table top ready but far from paint competition ready.

The warpstone markers are actually raw emeralds.

Reason: ''
ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Wiley Warpstoners - back after 20 years

Post by ErnieB »

Stupor Bowl III was a 2 day tourney at Adepticon with 3 games on saturday and 3 games on sunday. We had a 7 hr drive so i actually left sunday after only playing 5 games total ( 3 on sat and 2 on sun ). Overall it was a great experience and I learned alot.

Day 1

Saturday came and my first match was against none other than Xtreme. One half of the Zlurpcast guys. ( "Other Guy" lol ) He was playing his "40 Miners" dwarf team. I kicked off first and he managed to grind down the field and score on turn 7 or 8. He was crowd surfing ALOT of my guys but luckily his rolling was pretty bad when it came to injuries. Good thing for me!

I really wasnt sure ( and im still not ) how to effectively deal with the slow rolling cage. I tried to place players in from and around the cage to slow it down and also not to keep anyone next to his guys to avoid blocks but he still managed to grind it out on me.

Second half i received and was able to score after a couple turns. Then once again he slowly grinded down the field and scored on me on turn 7 or 8 again. I lost the game 2-1. I did manage to get 3 casualties on him with my rat ogre, which was 2 more than he got against me ( from blocks - he actually had i think 2 casualties from the crowd )

We were able to finish the game in the alotted time mainly due to him helping me along with the rules and what i needed to roll for things. This was actually the only game all weekend that i played to the finish.

Game 2 was against an orc team. I dont really remember too much about this game other than it ended in a tie.

Game 3 was against a wood elf team which was actually played by the wife of the guy i played in game 2. This game was rather exciting as she was, in my opinion, very much a risk taker. Lots of 1 die blocks and tons of consecutive dodge attempts. I sneaked out a 2-1 victory. She almost scored near the end but failed the final dodge roll needed to score with no rerolls to use. Finally caught a break :D On day 2 she actually went 3-0 and won first place for day 2 results so I feel good i was able to beat someone who was obviously a quality player.

Day 2

First game was against a lizard team. His minis were very well painted, and he actually took home the best painted team award. ( i voted for his team too ). I managed to kill his kroxigor but it was too little too late. The skinks did me in. They seem to always find a way around my guys. And when i was knocking them down, my rolls were terrible so i didnt manage to kill any. I ended up losing 2-1.

My 5th and final game was against an older gentleman named Gary. He played a human team. I think this was the slowest game of the weekend. Gary tended to think things through for a while each turn. On one play he had a cage that was a complete cube of 9 guys with the center guy having the ball and only about 4 squares from the touchdown. I managed to block and push my way into the cage and had his ball carrier surrounded on 3 or 4 sides. He still managed to make good blocks, several only 1 die, and get me away so he could manage to score the TD. I managed to win the game by making 4 consecutive dodge rolls to tip toe down the sideline for a touchdown!

Thoughts

Being my first tournament and games i played in 20 years I think things went well. I ended with 2 wins, 1 tie and 2 losses. Some things i need to work on is remembering i have rerolls and an apothecary as there were times when i should have used them and didnt because i totally forgot i had them. Also my skill choices. The guard was pretty helpful on my one storm vermin but the mighty blow on the other only maybe helped 1 time all weekend. Same thing for wrestle that i placed on a gutter runner. I think it helped 1 time as well. Having a thrower only helped me 1 time as well ( sure hands ) but i did use the extra reroll the leader skill gave me so it may be worth it to keep him in future tourneys for the extra reroll. The rat ogre was hit and miss. I had one game where i rolled 4 1's in a roll. I also want to thank all of my opponents who let me use their dice because i didnt have any.

I did manage to pick up a plastic orc team while i was there and im working on getting a couple more to round out the team and i also picked up everything to put a norse team together as well. So in the future i will have a couple more options. For now i will be sticking with the skaven.

Next stop is the 4 Diamonds Cup in Harrisburg, PA in a week and a half. Will report back afterwards.

ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErnieB »

reserved for diamond cup

ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErnieB »

reserved

ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErnieB »

reserved

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Nice write-up, and well done on your first tournament !
I only managed to win 1 game in my firt tournament, last game vs Halflings by Draco no less... :)

Tournaments are loads of fun. Lots of good-natured people there, and it's always fun to watch others play too.
At least, that's my experience.

I am curious about the team you picked, and the skills. What value had the tournament ? When did you get the skills ? etc. etc.

Skaven in tournaments are a "high risk-high reward" team, imho. Unlike (for example) Dwarves or Orcs.
But they are fun. If you get the ball loose from your opponent you are well on your way ot a TD...

Mostly. :wink:

ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErnieB »

JaM wrote:Nice write-up, and well done on your first tournament !
I only managed to win 1 game in my firt tournament, last game vs Halflings by Draco no less... :)

Tournaments are loads of fun. Lots of good-natured people there, and it's always fun to watch others play too.
At least, that's my experience.

I am curious about the team you picked, and the skills. What value had the tournament ? When did you get the skills ? etc. etc.

Skaven in tournaments are a "high risk-high reward" team, imho. Unlike (for example) Dwarves or Orcs.
But they are fun. If you get the ball loose from your opponent you are well on your way ot a TD...

Mostly. :wink:
Thanks! I had a blast playing.

1,100,000 TV resurrection plus a choice of an upfront skill package. I chose 6 skills with 1 being a doubles. only 1 skill per player allowed. Roster included 1 thrower, 2 storm vermin, 4 gutter runners, 4 line rats, 1 rat ogre, 2 rerolls and an apothecary ( plus 1 fan factor ). Leader on thrower, block and wrestle on 2 runners, mighty blow and guard on the 2 storm vermin and block on the rat ogre. Funny thing was everyone was making fun of my large base for my rat ogre, but its the original base. Big guys used to take up that much space on the pitch when i last played lol. I guess they didnt know that?? I will be converting him over to a smaller base so its easier to play with him.

I remembered that i liked the rats back in the day so thats why i chose them for my first team. I dont get to play at home other than occasional half of a game against my 9 year old so tourneys seem to be the only thing for me right now. I just picked up a plastic orc team on the cheap and working on getting some more guys to round it out an dalso ordered everything to make a norse team as well. This will give me some more stuff to try out.

ErnieB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErnieB »

Sat April 10th - 4 Diamond Cup Harrisburg, Pa.

Registration was at 9:30 am and I had almost a 5 hour drive to get there so the day started pretty early in the morning. Luckily it was just a 1 day/3 game tourney. All the money raised was for charity and they had a ton of great prizes/swag. For my entry i got a pair of custom d6, a painted metal naf ball and a very nice and heavy custom "coin". They also had raffle tickets you could purchase and they pulled out winners all day long for various things. I managed to win a set of chessex block dice and a sweet custom acrylic pass range ruler. There was a ton of minis given out and the most awesome raffle was for a custom dugout which words can not describe. Not only did it have magnetized markers on the one side of the roof for turns, rerolls, etc. but if you lifted off the roof inside was pluck foam so it could actually carry your minis.

There was many awards including 1st, 2nd, best sportsman and best painted to mention a few. There were also several smaller awards that everyone were racing to win as they were - first to cause a casualty, first to score, first to roll 3 skulls or double skulls twice in a row ( reroll ) plus a few more. Winners receives a specially painted miniature "statue" award plus a patch and a set of custom d6 ( different than the ones in the swag bag ).

So my first match was against Ramsey ( norse on the forums ). He was using a very beautiful looking chaos dwarf team that he had converted from several different plastic kits. ( i believe they were all plastic? ) Ramsey won the toss and elected to receive. Very first move of the game he caused a casualty to one of my linerats and won the first blood award!! I did manage to get the ball from him a couple turns later and score which managed to be the first score of the event so i won that award as well. He managed to come back and the game went back and forth and on the final turn of the game the score was tied 2-2 and i had a shot at a touchdown. It required a long pass and then a catch in a tacklezone and then a dodge for a td. My thrower needed a 6 to be accurate and first roll was a 5, I rerolled with my pass skill and got another 5. The game ended a tie. I surprisingly managed to hold my own for the most part even tho he was slowly killing my team. I had only 11 players with no APOC so i was fielding very few guys at the end. I caused no casualties but took like 4 casualties.

Game 2 was against another skaven player. I was using a Rat Ogre, he was using a claw mutated guy. His claw guy killed my rat ogre lol. He also had a gutter runner kill one of my guys as well. I was doing great against him as the score ended at 5-3, but it was worrysome near the end as i was down to like 5 guys.

Game 3 was against an undead team. This was just a blood bath as well. I ended up losing all 4 of my gutter runners plus 2 other guys and my rat ogre stayed knocked out all game ( and he went out early. ) I lost 0-2 and was just running away and ending my turn to finish the game. This ended up being a good thing since i had a long drive home and wanted to try and be home by a certain time ( and the tourney was running behind as it got a late start and their really wasnt a time limit enforced. )

So just like day 1 of stupor bowl, i ended up 1-1-1. Picked up a nice pile of swag, a cool award and met some great people. Reflecting back, taking the Rat Ogre was a bad choice. And for skill choices i forgot all about the tackle skill i had. It may have been of use a few times if i had remembered i took it lol.

Hoping to get a local league going in a month or so. Next tournament wont be till the end of June at origins ( Krunch Bowl )