Lose-A-Lots / A new Khemri team in a perpetual BB league

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Lose-A-Lots / A new Khemri team in a perpetual BB league

Post by Alamar »

Initial Build: I decided not to go for the optimum / competitive build and have fun playing will all of my various players & pieces. Therefore I went with the predicatble:

4 Tomb Guardians
2 Blitz-Ras
2 Thro-Ras
3 Skellys
2 team RRs, 1 Asst. Coach, and 1 Cheerleader for a TV of 1.0M.

The league reset recently with all the old teams retiring. Therefore Khemri is getting in on the ground floor and may actually have a chance depending on how the dice turn out.

The league teams that Khemri will be playing are Undead, Necros, Vampires, Lizardmen, Orcs x 2, Underworld, Slann x 2, Humans, Amazons, Dark Elves, and Chaos Pact.

As far as theoretical builds go we all know things will change depending on how the dice for skillups go and what other teams in the league seem to be doing. For the time being I'm looking at:

Starters:
4 Tomb Guardians: Mighty Blow, Guard (Block)
2 Blitz-Ras: Mighty Blow, Tackle, Guard (Jump Up)
2 Thro-Ras: Block, Tackle, Strip Ball (Dodge)
3 Skellys: Block, Fend (Mighty Blow)

Bench:
2 Skellys: Dirty Player (Sneaky Git)
3 Skellys: Block (Mighty Blow)

The idea is that even though Khemri has a STR advantage on many teams they need to make sure that they have more players on the field that the other guys. Therefore spamming Mighty Plow is important. Getting reserves built up will be important for fouling to get either troublesome players off the field or just to help create a man advantage.

The downside to the team is while they are easily beatable I'm pretty sure nobody would want to play "the griefing team" ....

Reason: ''
yumi_cheeseman
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Lose-A-Lots / A new Khemri team in a perpetual BB league

Post by yumi_cheeseman »

I woulnd't ever take sneaky git as a doubles skill!

You'll also end up hating yourself with only 2 RR.

I'd prolly take guard over MB.

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

yumi_cheeseman wrote:I woulnd't ever take sneaky git as a doubles skill!

You'll also end up hating yourself with only 2 RR.

I'd prolly take guard over MB.

I agree with you on hating yourself with 2 RRs ... you're begging that the dice roll in your favor in a BIG way.

I've done one Khemri team as Guard first so I'm curious as to how MB first will play. With my playstyle Guard is the better choice but [like I said] I want to see how this works.

As for Dirty Git it depends. If I already have Dirty Player then I think that fits his role of being a better fouler. On the other hand if I hit doubles on his first skill it's very unlikely I'd take DG.

Overall I mostly agree with your points. I kind of want to see how this goes. I chose the name on purpose because I had a bad feeling how the season would go.

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

GAME 1: vs. Undead with a strong to possibly expert coach

Not much to say in this game. I came in with an obviously inferior team but good ole Nuffle broke my way on virtually every single roll for the last 14 turns of the game. To prove this point Khemri did not use nor need a single reroll the last 14 turns of the game. Undead could have used 6 RRs and might not have won even with that.

Note: My opponnent didn't help himself by leaving a Ghould ball carrier open for a couple of 1D and 2D blitzes. I suspect being flustered by die rolls didn't help.

Win 2-0 ; Won CAS war 5-0 ; Won the KO war 5-1 ; Winnings 50K [2+2+1]

SPPs: 6 [2TD] + 6 [3CAS] + 5 MVP == 17 [no skillups]
Winnings: 50K
TV: 1.0M + 10K [+1FF] == 1.01M

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Game 2: vs. Lizardmen

I went into this game [like the last one] knowing that I couldn't just push around 6 STR 4 and 1 STR 5 [MB] player like I owned them so I knew that I'd have to be careful.

Incentives: I was up 10K in team value. No incentives were actually taken on either side.

Pregame: Chaka [Land of the Lost reference] and lots of his friends showed up for the game so the croud was slightly for the Sleestacks [Fame +1 to Sleestacks] ; the weather was perfect ; The Sleestacks won the toss for the ball but elected to kick to the Lose-A-Lots banking that their lack of skill would translate into a real advantage quickly.

1st Half: The kick deviated to the Line-of-Scrimmage where [luckily] an AG2 Blitzer rolled the 5 he needed to pluck the ball from the air. The Lose-A-Lots [not having to pick up the ball] were able to concentrate on bashing and quickly stunned a Kroxigor [STR5 MB player]. The Lose-A-Lots retreated and formed a half cage. I didn't leave much for the Sleestacks to retaliate against so they moved in and started scrumming.

After a lot of lucky armor breaks and a quick CAS of the Kroxigor Khemri managed to punch the ball in after 7 turns or so.

The Sleestacks took some blocks but went into halftime without making much progress.

2nd Half: The Sleestacks were down players with 1 Kroxigor and 2 Skinks CASed. They had a reserve but started the half 2 men down. Their luck would just continue to get worse as their very first action was a couple of skulls quickly ending their turn. Khemri managed to get next to the ball and eventually came away with it. A few turns later the Lose-A-Lots managed to score again.

Now with 4 CAS against them the Sleestacks lined up 3 men down but their luck started to turn. Over the next few turns they managed to roll a CAS against a Tomb Guardian [Niggling Injury and -1 ST due to Decay] and also CASed a Blitz-Ra with a death. Fortunately my buddy Nuffle came through and both regeneration rolls made it so both players can shamble back to the field.

With the numbers closer to even the Sleestacks threatened to score but a lucky block & stun to just the right players kept that from turning into much.

Game Summary: Win 2-0 ; Won CAS war 4-2 ; Won KO war big [6-1?] ; Won 50K [4+1+0] ; 4 skillups this game thanks to Blitzers doing something and Runners scoring [and MVP hitting just right].

TV: 1.01M + 60K [3 standard skills] + 30K [1 double skill -- Dodge] + 10K [+1 FF] = 1.11M
Incentives: I was a 10K overdog

Record: 2-0-0

Both Blitz-Ras now have Mighty Blow ; One Thro-Ras has Dodge, One Thro-Ras took Tackle [expecting to face Ghouls soon]

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Game 3: vs. Slann [Theme / experimental build -- all lineman]

Incentives: I was up a solid 110K but it turns out only 40K of that [Mighty Blow] would be useful.

Pregame: The Lose-A-Lot fans turned out in great numbers after seeing a few wins ... [Fame +2] ... The weather was perfect. The Slann won the toss for the ball and elected to receive.

1st Half: The Slann were getting used to their shiny new leap skill and for the most part didn't mix it up much with the Lose-A-Lots. After not getting to pick up the ball on the first turn the Slann managed to get things going however got caught in no-mans-land and eventually the ball popped out. A Lose-A-Lot runner got in the neighborhood a turn or two later and managed to punch the ball in on T6 for a TD.

The Lose-A-Lots lined up for the kick which was fine. The Slann had a bad run of dice and weren't able to do anything with the ball. The Lose-A-Lots rushed the ball but couldn't do anything with it.

2nd Half: The Slann lined up for the KO and the Lose-A-Lot fans stormed the field [Pitch Invasion]. With most of the depleted Slann team stunned the Lose-A-Lots decided to try to let a Skelly show his stuff ... then after a terrible performance it was decided never to do that again :) [Botched pass attempt to skill up]

The Lose-A-Lots suffered a quick surfout as a Block, then Leap, then Blitz got a skelly out of bounds. The Lose-A-Lots then sufferred from the Khemri disease of butter fingers and didn't pick up the ball.

Things were still mostly going the Lose-A-Lots way as they started KOing some more guys but the Slann were tough and started heating up themselves with POWS on back to back to back 1D Blocks on ball carriers. 1 Runner was KOed and 1 Runner was killed ... but got better with a lucky regen roll.

Late in the half, without runners, the Lose-A-Lots got the ball again and tried to go for a T7 TD. A Blitz-Ra slipped in the endzone, stunned himself, sent the ball into the croud who threw the ball a long way in exactly the WRONG direction. The Slann did some good things, got to the ball, picked it up but fumbled a pass. The Lose-A-Lots tried to put the final nail in the coffin but Skulled out with no RRs left.

The Slann had one turn left but couldn't make a leap roll that they were making almost all night and just barely missed getting a tie.

Game Summary: Win 1-0 ; Won CAS war 2-1 ; Won the KO war by "lots" to 1 ; 80K winnings ; no skillups [not even anywhere close to one]

SPPs: 3 [1 TD] + 2 [1 CAS] + 5 [MVP] == 10
TV: 1.11M + 70K [Team RR] + 10K [+1FF] == 1.19M
Bank: 40K

Record: 3-0-0

Analysis: I think I basically got outcoached [didn't defend well against Leap] but was saved by my Blitzers [MB] and RED hot armor break dice.

So far in 3 games I've had 3 CAS put on me. All 3 would have resulted in "death" to positionals but I'm 3 for 3 on regen rolls. I've been lucky so far but this team's going to look real ugly once the dice swing the other way.

Note: Guard would have prevented some of the 1D block POWS ... 2D I choose vs. guys with Block or Dodge would have been much more in my favor.

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Game 4: vs. Orcs [Linemen only team ... -- don't ask me why --]

Incentives: I was a 200K overdog and Orcs took 2 100K cards.

Pregame: The rolls slightly favored the Orcs ... Perfect Weather, Fame 0, and the Orcs won the toss for the ball [and elected to receive].

1st Half: Khemri lined up for the kick crowding the Line of Scrimmage with 2 safetys several squares back. The Orcs fielded the ball and proceeded upfield like clockwork. Khemri countered with a CAS on the first Blitz/Block made. Being up a body helped but the Orcs fairly quickly countered with a BH CAS of their own [failed regen to a Skelly]. The Orcs skulled out quickly in the next turn or two. Khemri wasn't in much of a position to do anything about it [too many pushes on blocks not clearing out the ball]. The Orcs were able to get the ball out but couldn't get it far enough away. Khemri persued and managed to keep the ball out of anyone's hands for the rest of the half.

On a big T8 play a Thro-Ra with Dodge tried to dodge past an Orc for a TD but he snaked out, KOed himself, and wouldn't return for the rest of the game!!

2nd Half: The CAS were equal at 2-2 at this point [2 failed regen rolls]. Khemri had a KO that wouldn't come back while the Orc's KO did make it back. This left Khemri down 2 bodies 8-10 to start the second half.

The kick was fairly deep and in a bad spot for Khemri. A few guys ran towards the ball. The Tomb Guardians started to block with the idea that if any of them failed [and rerolled successfully] that there would be an immediate attempt to secure the ball and start moving upfield. Well the 1 in 81 chance happened and 4 dice went against a Tomb Guardian who hit the turf [stunned himself] ... On the Orcs next turn they managed to stun another TG and get 4-5 guys downfield. On Khemri's next turn they tried to solidify but couldn't keep the Orcs away well enough. A Thro-Ra came up with the ball and parked next to a couple of Blitz-Ras. The Orcs responded with a GFI, a 1D block on a skelly for a stun, and then managed a 1D blitz on the ball carrier and knocked him out for the whole game.

Now the scrum was on. Down 10-7 in players Khemri lost a Skelly to a KO to quickly go down 10-6. With a clear man and agility advantage the Orcs kept Khemri from even trying to snag the ball. Fortunately in T8 Khemri came up with a critical CAS and managed a couple of TZs on the ball. With a Blitz the Orcs knocked off one player but couldn't manage better than a 2 on any pickup attempts [in TZs] the last few turns of the game.

Game Summary: Tie 0-0. Won the CAS war 3-2. Lost the KO war 3-1. Winnings 20K [1+1+0]. +1 FF.

I got 3 CAS & 1 MVP for 11 SPPs this game. I suffered 2 CAS [Skellys] and neither were regenned. One as a BH Skeleton with an MVP ... the other was a SI 56 to a skelly who on a double down got a CAS himself.

I'll take the Journey Skelly to get back up to 11 players for the next game.
TV == 1.190 M + 10K [+1 FF] + 20K [skillup] => 1.22K

Game Analysis:

Overall this was a pretty darned poor performance. Due to the Orc's theme I was a massive Team Value overdog - the book said I should have steamrolled him but I certainly didn't so anything like that.

I feel like I made relatively sound decisions and put myself in the right spots but never could quite make the rest of the pieces fall into place.

Record: 3-0-1

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Summary so far:

Record 3-0-1. The record is misleading though. One win and one tie were against "substandard" teams -- Tier 1.5 & Tier 2 equivalent. The other 2 victories were certainly Nuffle-aided.

Note: Playing higher AV teams isn't helping my CAS numbers but that's life.

Current Roster:
4 Tomb Guardians ... no skill ups
1 Blitz-Ra with Mighty Blow && Tackle
1 Blitz-Ra with Mighty Blow
1 Thro-Ra with Dodge
1 Thro-Ra with Tackle
3 Skeletons ... no skill ups
Team RRs 3
Bank: 60K
1 Cheerleader & 1 Asst Coach
TV 1.22M

Things to purchase: Barring injury I'd like to get the 4th Team RR and then buy some extra Skellys [desperately needed]

Analysis on performace so far: In games where Khemri go "man-up" they have really controlled the game [duh]. During times when that wasn't the case Khemri often look pretty bad -- once again duh. Mighty Blow in games 3 & 4 was certainly helpful. On the other hand there have been many occasions where Guard would have turned 1D blocks [that knocked down ball carriers] into 2D-I-choose blocks. I can't conclusively say which way is best. Guard fits my playstyle better but MB has come in useful at critical times.

Prospective Build: I'm probably going to shy away a little bit from skills that put HUGE targets on my back. MB & PO would just get an expensive player fouled out. My guess is that the more dangerous ball carriers in the league will have Dodge so investing in Tackle would probably be wise.

With updates Prospective Build is:

4 Tomb Guardians: MB, Guard (Block)

2 Blitz-Ras: MB, Tackle, Guard

1 Thro-Ra: Dodge, Block, Tackle

1 Thro-Ra: Tackle, Block, Strip Ball

3 Skellys: Block, Fend (MB)

Bench: 3-5 Skellys depending on how foul happy the team evolves

yumi_cheeseman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yumi_cheeseman »

By taking guard over MB, I meant for the doubles on your skellies :D

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

yumi_cheeseman wrote:By taking guard over MB, I meant for the doubles on your skellies :D
I think your recommendation is reasonable. I've already had a Guard-happy Khemri team that did great against bashy teams [8 guys with Guard]. 6 Guys with MB ; 4 with Tackle but that only left me with 5 guys with Block :)

Then again against speed / AG teams I had no defense ... esp. vs. Assns that leaped in and stabbed [and just wouldn't fall down or go out with fouls]

I think [in general] your advice is good because I try to keep my Skellys loose when possible so it would fit. I just want to try out the MB Khemri ... at least a version that won't get me fouled every time I turn around :)

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Well I guess the perpetual league lasted all of a month or so. The league commish seems to have opted to not just reset league points to but require brand new teams for the second time in the last 2 months :(

This is especially disappointing because I finally got in contention for first place in the prior league ; I was doing great in the new league while basically everyone else fell upon hard times ; etc ...

Oh well I guess I can either whip up some new teams, play one offs, or go somewhere more to my liking ... choices choices.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Let me direct you to P. 24, fifth paragraph... and the door:
LRB6 wrote:In a league, the Commissioner’s word is LAW. He is allowed to
change or modify any of the Blood Bowl rules as he sees fit,
including any of the League Rules that follow. In the immortal
words of fellow game designer Tuomas Pirinen: If the League
Commissioner says that Dwarfs can now fly, your reply must be
'Yes Sir! How high?' If you don’t like the way a commissioner
runs his league, you have two choices; put up with it, or leave
the league. Arguing with the commissioner is NOT an option.
‘Nuff said, I hope.
Taking your opinion public was a choice you made in spite of the above.... I respect you have your opinion, and I've freely allowed your input that led to the revamping of the first ladder and the interim period that is coming to a close.... You've pumped the gallery (TFF) more than once... you've crusaded here at home... all unremarked upon and unmolested.... I even ignored your TFF posts, till now....

Alamar... I'm just not the Commish for you... and neither is the Ladder League a place where you can be happy....

I wish you well....

So long....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

You can direct me to the door and that is certainly your prerogative. There's no arguement there.

I would like to add that I was pumped up about the new season. I was pumped enough to start a blog here to discuss team development, go over games, build strategy, etc.. Basically I was happy to be playing. I was still happy after seeing multiple references to "Khemcheese" and things of that nature. I was willing to overlook these things. I was able to overlook a lot of things that don't need to be mentioned in a public forum. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Now if you had a [not-so] perpetual team that you got attached to and then 1 month later the commish announced that the league was resetting again wouldn't you be disappointed? Don't you think it reasonable to post that you won't be continuing the blog and why???

Do you really think it's reasonable to kick someone out of the league for these reasons??

Note: You may feel free to take the discussion offline as your response [and mine] are sufficiently off-topic as to not warrant further discussion here.

Edit: I was supportive when I posted to your blog. You weren't when you posted to mine.

yumi_cheeseman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yumi_cheeseman »

:o wow...

I've enjoyed reading this blog, and I was also disappointed by Alamar losing his team :(. He never really said anything against you, he literally said the same thing as you (that he could create new teams, or go somewhere else).

Harsh dude... At worst it's only some public criticism, or maybe it's just him being upset at losing his team.

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

yumi_cheeseman wrote::o wow...

I've enjoyed reading this blog, and I was also disappointed by Alamar losing his team :(. He never really said anything against you, he literally said the same thing as you (that he could create new teams, or go somewhere else).

Harsh dude... At worst it's only some public criticism, or maybe it's just him being upset at losing his team.
Thanks for the support -- it's appreciated.