Poetry in Motion (Nurgle)

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Poetry in Motion (Nurgle)

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, vdv. Some teams (e.g. all Elven teams) rely for defense on the threat of (say) 2 outstanding multi-skilled Blitzer types with high MA (i.e. very specific threats). Nurgle is at the opposite end of the spectrum, with a kind of generalised increase in risk for the opponent. It's up to the Nurgle defender to ensure that all positive options open to the offense carry a greater degree of risk than a coach would consider acceptable in other games. Then you crank up that risk until an opening appears or a turnover happens.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
van der vaart
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by van der vaart »

Smeborg wrote:Thanks, vdv. Some teams (e.g. all Elven teams) rely for defense on the threat of (say) 2 outstanding multi-skilled Blitzer types with high MA (i.e. very specific threats). Nurgle is at the opposite end of the spectrum, with a kind of generalised increase in risk for the opponent. It's up to the Nurgle defender to ensure that all positive options open to the offense carry a greater degree of risk than a coach would consider acceptable in other games. Then you crank up that risk until an opening appears or a turnover happens.
I couldnt agree more! Ive set my self a challenge this season to try and keep one clean sheet with Halflings, just to try and improve my defence (a pretty tall task i know!). I havent quite achieved it, but i did manage to keep a decent lizardman team to 1 TD. I basically tried to kit most flings with sidestep/diving tackle to make a screen of flings everywhere, but they are quite fragile and just get punched away in the end.

Smeborg wrote:I am considering going for an ultra-lean TV with this team:

Beast, 4 Warriors, 4 Pests, 4 Rotters, 2 RRs (underlying TV of 120!!!).

I have missed a 3rd RR at least once (in the last game, where it would have improved my one missed scoring chance from about 1/8 to about 3/8 - i.e. quite useful). It does not look like this league is going to be very bashy, and anyway it is short, so we will see few advanced slayer skill combos. I have not tried a 13 player roster before with Nurgle. Plenty of time to mull this one over. Maybe I will stick with the tried and tested 14 players, but 2 RRs (underlying TV of 124). Or I could go "extremist" and drop the 4th Pest for a Rotter (TV116). But I love the Pests (a 4th Pest with no SPPs will often go on the defensive LoS - more resilient than a Rotter). The team plays well with 3 Pests, but badly with 2 (so a reserve 4th Pest is advisable). Playing with 2 RRs for a season would be good practice for me, especially with the World Cup coming up. "Character-building".
With this build, would you consider taking a leader on doubles for that 3RR? or would you consider it a bit of a waste of team value?

Commish of the Geelong And Regions Blood Bowl League;GARBBL!
Check us out at http://geelong.bloodbowlleague.com or Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/#!/GARBBL
I have a blog! http://nubs11.blog.com/
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

van der vaart wrote:With this build, would you consider taking a leader on doubles for that 3RR? or would you consider it a bit of a waste of team value?
I would not take Leader on a Nurgle team, although I have done so in one or two small tourneys (it depends on the house rules). In leagues I consider Leader a waste on the positional players, who badly need to get on with their normal skill development. Rotters have a better double available IMO (Guard).

I lost a tourney game once (progression, or league format) when conceding lots of inducements to a very lean Dwarf team. That taught me the value of keeping things lean. Also, in league matches, Nurgle truly hate facing a Wizard.

The thinking behind a 2 RR roster is that Nurgle play the game in the opponent's turn, for which they don't need re-rolls! Obviously it seems paradoxical for a slow and clumsy team without Block or ball movement skills to need fewer re-rolls than other teams, but that's how it is. I am trying to track how often I would really like to have that 3rd RR. So far it's just once in 3 games (worth about 1/4 of a TD). [Edit: of course there have been other times when I ran out of RRs, but I don't recall that it might have changed the result.]

Good luck in your shutout attempts. It is partly mental attitude. If you have the conviction that you can and will stop the opponent scoring, you are more likely to do so. If you worry about other things (e.g. player safety), you will not.

Smeborg the Fleshless
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I tend to not worry too much about player safety, espescially in tournaments :).

I'll probably start a Nurgle team at fumbbl, just to see how and if it works for me. I just hope i can get the whole thing working properly (i.e. chat and such).

Sme: good thread, keep it up. Very informative.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, JaM. Nurgle are a good example of why coaches should not worry about player safety. The Rotters are among the worst protected players in the game, but for the good of the team, they often need to get in the face of the opposition and mark players. Nurgle are a marking team par excellence. If you try and protect the Rotters (in league play) the team will find it hard to win. Better to accept a high rate of Rotter turnover as an integral part of a high-performing team.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

A calamitous match, reminiscent of my 0-4 defeat at the hands of Vampires a season ago, with the same starting point (a failed pick up in my opponent's end zone).

FIFTH MATCH: Pro-Elves with a well-liked coach. He is not greatly feared, but is somewhat unorthodox and capable of deep thought at times. An odd roster, with no Blitzers, and 2 Catchers (one with Dodge), 1 Thrower, 12 players, 3RR. Although I have an obvious advantage in ST (and to a lesser extent in skills), I fear the Wizard. PEs are never easy for Nurgle.

INDUCEMENTS: My opponent has exactly 250,000 and (on the advice of another coach) picks the Wizard and 2 Babes. I second the advice.

RESULT: 0-2 loss (CAS: 3-2). I wish I could say we woz robbed...

COMMENTARY: FIRST DRIVE: Despite my much superior fans, my opponent wins the FAME, and gains a RR immediately. He wins the kick-off, opts to receive, but I get lucky. The ball scatters to my feet on an uncontested LoS, the PEs get in a tangle and suffer an early turnover, I secure the ball and cage up on the LoS. I speed towards the end zone, caging as I go. My opponent wisely takes down a lone Pestigor receiver, I am unable to create an immediate scoring threat other than the cage. After 3 turns, I am poised to score easily, but pull some players back to cope with what is about to happen. The Fireball takes down 2 players on the open side of the cage (it is hugging the sideline). A Warrior is BHd (Regen fails, but at least I have a Rotter in reserve). The ball-carrying Pestigor is sacked, but the ball is retrieved by my opponent (he cannot pass it away, as it was retrieved by the only available player, the blitzer). I knock down a player or two, sack the ball carrier, but am unable to retrieve the ball, as it scatters out of range of my last player by one square (the receiver Pestigor coming in from the other wing). But the ball is in 3 of my TZs. My opponent then performs 5 dodges (2 at 3+), 2 GFIs, picks up the ball at 5+, and tries to pass it. This is not untypical of other D6 roll sequences that I see in this match. Thanks to a Warrior and his D-Pres, the pass is inaccurate, my opponent unwisely re-rolls it, and fumbles the ball into his end zone. I clear the player away from the ball, take a few precautions, add a heavy TZ and try to pick up the ball with my S-Hands Pestigor in the end zone. The pick-up fails, the ball scatters to a Warrior, back to the Pest, then off the pitch and diagonally upfield for about 10 squares (away from my players and into the TZ of 3 opponents). My opponent clears the only nearby player (a Warrior), and moves the ball swiftly upfield, passing to a waiting Catcher. Meanwhile, the Beast, who has rolled Stupid 2 or 3 times near the LoS, takes his chance, and blitzes 6 squares to put a TZ on the ball carrier (I had to make a few clearing operations first, my opponent was blind to the possibility - not unusual). The PEs take their main chance, a 1-dice Blitz on the Beast, it is a skull, but a RR turns it into a push, and they score.

SECOND DRIVE: Undeterred, I realise things are not as bad as they seem (yet!), since I have forced my opponent to use the Wizard on his receive, and I still have 2 turns to attempt a score (and I have not used a RR yet, so I still have 2 remaining). Leaving the Beast to tie up 3 Linos on the LoS, I make the attempt. After the usual preliminary blocks and Blitz (I tie up many players), I move a Pestigor upfield 7 squares (1 GFI, he is now in scoring range, even if pushed back, with multiple options for how he gets to the end zone. I then move my best Rotter (he has Block) upfield on the far wing from the ball (2 GFIs required, consuming a RR), parallel with the Pest and 3 squares away from him, just 6 squares from the end zone (again he can get to the end zone even if pushed back). Both receivers have good options to Blitz their way to the end zone (one has Block, the other Horns) after receiving the ball (for example in 1 TZ). Only then do I pick up the ball and GFI twice with the ball-carrying Pest (both GFIs work). My opponent is (unsurprisingly) more worried by the Pestigor receiver than by the seemingly uncharismatic Rotter way out on the wing. He takes out the Pest, but only gets a push, even after using a RR. The Rotter is unmarked, so on turn 8, I simply move my ball-carrying Pest 8 squares diagonally towards him, discover that I have counted distances just right, and make a quick pass. Unfortunately, the Pest consumes a RR on one of the GFIs, the pass works, but the catch is dropped. At the beginning of turn 8, the scoring attempt had a 56% chance of success, thanks to the RR (good for Nurgle). Of course I had to make 5 GFIs on turn 7 (but I had a RR for both turns). If at the end of turn 7, I had another Rotter available as a potential receiver, I would GFI aggressively with him as the last action of the turn. But Pestigors are good to just move forward 6 or 7 squares into receiving positions (6 if you don't have RRs, 7 if you do). If on turn 7 I had spilled the ball (e.g. the Runner Pestigor failed a GFI), this would have been no great hardship (a longer pass on turn 8, or a pass and hand-off). It's getting the receivers into good positions that matters if you want to create a credible 2-turn scoring threat.

SECOND HALF: I still expect to win, as I am receiving, and have the ability to cause multiple CAS, score quickly, and then hunt down the ball against a weakened opponent (this is the sort of thing I have done successfully in tournaments from 0-1 down at half time against elven teams). I get lucky with a quick snap and a touchback, so I move players forward, and cage up on half way). I make only 3 blocks without Block. One is by the Beast (3 dice with his ST6), the others are 2-dice blocks. Unfortunately they both fail, one is re-rolled to a push, but the second is a both down by a Warrior forming a cage corner. My opponent then sacks the ball-carrying Pestigor Runner with a 1-die Blitz, kills him (luckily Regen works, but it means I am without S-Hands for the rest of the drive). The ball scatters to near the sideline, a Rotter tries to pick it up, fails (with RR), it scatters ominously next to the sideline. Still, the ball is reasonably well protected from my opponent, who fails to get at it. I am now out of RRs, my next attempt to pick up the ball fails, it scatters 10 squares diagonally backwards towards my end zone. It's now a foot race, which my opponent easily wins with his MA8 Catcher. I have a good Blitz attempt with a Pestigor, but he needs to make 2 GFIs, and fails the first one (no RRs left). My opponent, also out of RRs, picks up the ball and scores to go 2-0 up.

LAST DRIVE: With 4 turns left, I don't give up, but try to equalise (a 1-2 loss is of no value to me except for the SPPs). The drive starts well, I am set to score in 2, but then my opponent pulls off another long string of d6 rolls to sack my ball carrier, and in addition I suffer 2 early turnovers. The drive fizzles out without my being able to score. I could have played these last 4 turns better, but the chances of that changing the result are slight (say 1% or 2% at best).

ROSTER: Going rather nicely. A second Warrior gets to 6 SPPs and Block (I have 2 now), the Beast also gets a CAS and is now on 13 SPPs. I start to dream of B-Tackle (at ST6 it means 3+ dodging into a standard cage, not to mention other threats). Meanwhile my hapless opponent had a Thrower killed outright by a Thrown Rock (my least favourite result on the Kick-off Table), but is justly pleased with his win.

POSITIVES: (a) I managed to survive the Fireball for a turn or two, thanks to careful positioning and D-Pres. (b) Likewise I survived a sack and failed pick up in the second half for the same reasons. (c) The 2-turn TD attempt at the end of the first half was textbook stuff, and nearly won me the game.

NEGATIVES: Or "lessons" if you prefer. While I played most of the first 3/4 of the match with complete accuracy, I did make just 2 mistakes that I can identify, one minor, one major. (a) On turn 6, I could have supported the Beast better (he was marking the ball carrier at the time), by positioning a Pestigor 1 square differently (to prevent an easy assist on the Beast). While this would have brought some advantages to my opponent, it would have reduced my opponent's chances of scoring on the next turn (from say 83% to say 69%). Whether it would have changed the odds over the 2 remaining turns (at least 90% to 95%), I am less sure. (b) A major error which I will politely attribute to impatience. On turn 9, when receiving, I took an unnecessary 1 in 81 risk in order to move the ball 1 square further forward and get 1 more 2-dice block. The 1 in 81 calamity came to pass, resulting in a 2 TD swing, and is a good lesson. An equivalent error for AG teams is taking an unnecessary dodge before the ball is secure (1 in 36 chance of failure). However, since Nurgle's chances of recovery from a spilled ball are much lower than for an AG4 team, the unnecessary 1 in 81 risk is to be shunned even more - "like the plague".

A long post, but I hope it is as instructive to readers as it has been for me.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

INTERLUDE: Note that I now have all positional players, and after just 5 games I have enough players and skills to do the following:

- On the first turn of offense, I have just enough ST and/or blocking skills to take 3 blocks and a blitz at good odds (2 Warriors with Block, a Rotter with Block, and the ST6 Beast = 3 dice).

- On defense I can adopt my most common formation. The 2 least developed Warriors and a Rookie Pestigor on the LoS (note that the Pestigor is more resilient than a Rotter). In second line the Beast and the 2 best developed Warriors, with a Pestigor and a Rotter in each wide zone (normally the Pestigors will be in front for greater reach in the event of a Blitz result on the kick-off table, or an early turnover; also protecting the Rotters a little). In third line the Pestigor Runner (sheltered behind the Beast, and telling him what to do).

The Pestigors are retarded in their development. This is inevitable when you start a league with just one of them, but in this league it has been compounded by poor results (by my standards), meaning fewer TDs (which mostly go to the Pestigors). On the other hand, Beast and Warrior development is as good as it has ever been at this stage. This is because my blocking game has improved over the years, and I have actually paid attention to micro-positioning and blocking order for SPP harvesting. Having some AV7 and AV8 opponents has of course helped too.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

A pleasant game over a shared bottle of wine, and while watching the Cold War replay match out of one eye (USA vs. Russia, Rugby World Cup).

6th MATCH: Against well-coached Undead, same opponent as in match no. 2 (this is a short format tournament). Although my opponent has garnered lots of SPPs, they are completely spread, and he has no skill advances. 1 Ghoul is MNGd, leaving 12 players (2 Ghouls).

INDUCEMENTS: 350,000 no less! My opponent picks the Wizard, 2 Babes and a Merc Ghoul. All work superbly: the Wizard nets a 2TD swing, the Ghoul scores a TD, and the Babes bring back about 4 players.

RESULT: 1-2 loss (CAS: 1-1). On the plus side, I did not feel I made any mistakes (major of minor) in this match.

COMMENTARY: Won the kick, received, recovered the ball from the backfield. Then I lose a Block Warrior and a Pestigor in quick succession (both KOd). I cannot hold the ball with 9 players, so I decide to run the ball down the right flank, past the Beast, who is holding up multiple players, and score easily on turn 4. My opponent has sufficient experience not to use the Wizard (sadly). 1-0 to me.

2nd DRIVE: Kick goes deep, I execute a fine "Nurgle press" and put a Pestigor through on the left flank to pressure the ball. This forces my opponent to GFI twice on turn 2 to get out of range of the Pest, the Ghoul fails the second GFI and the ball spills. I get a great chance to pick it up with a Rotter, but the pick-up fails (1 in 9 chance). This is costly, as I still have 2 or 3 important players left to move. The ball scatters favourably for my opponent. He is now in trouble, he Blitzes my player out of the way, and takes a risky but forced play: GFI, 3+ pick-up, 4+ pass, 3+catch, GFI, GFI. Unfortunately it works (only 1 in 3 chance of success). Had my KOd Warrior still been around, the catch would have been at 4+. The rest of my opponent's turn works very well, all risks succeed, he screens the catcher Ghoul in my backfield. I make the only reasonable Blitz attempt (5 in 18 chance), fail, and my opponent scores. 1-1 at half-time. Block Warrior remains in the dugout.

3rd DRIVE: My kick goes shallow and wide (right flank), but an important Warrior is stunned by a Thrown Rock (left shoulder). A nearby rookie Pestigor on the LoS is killed by a Mummy (Regen fails). My opponent surges through the gap, but fails to pick up the ball (it is the Loner Ghoul). I Blitz with the Beast and GFI to mark the 3 breakthrough players (Ghoul, Wight, Zombie). This works well, but allows my opponent to recover the ball with a proper Ghoul. The Beast BHs a Wight, I take a 1-die block with a rookie Rotter in order to create a 2-dice Blitz opportunity on the ball-carrier. The block fails despite RR (sack attempt had a 1 in 2 chance). The ball-carrying Ghoul surges forward, but spills the ball on a forced GFI. The ball spills favourably for my opponent, I can do no more than try and shield it. My opponent recovers the ball, but is still exposed. I mark another Ghoul with the Beast (he is within scoring distance), and Blitz the ball carrying Ghoul, spilling the ball, which I pick up (I have been careful to use my S-Hands Pest). Sadly, my opponent now Lightning Bolts the Pest, KOs him, and a Ghoul scoops up the ball to score on turn 4. Score 1-2. Pest and Warrior return from the KOd bin.

LAST DRIVE: With 5 turns left, I still have a good chance of equalising. The first turn goes in textbook fashion, I establish a double screen of players, pick up the ball and lurk behind the screen. On the far (right) flank, the Beast takes a 3-dice Blitz on the sole remaining Wight, pushing him to the sideline, also tying up a Ghoul. Then distaster strikes, like all good disasters, in triplicate. First, my opponent, as last action of his turn, takes an uphill block on the Beast, stunning him. This has a decisive influence on the drive, as I am effectively missing the Beast for the duration, and in return my opponent has liberated a Ghoul and the Wight (his only player with Block). Second, I start my turn with a 2-dice block with a Block Warrior - result: double skulls (no RR left). I come under great pressure, but manage to get the ball to a Rotter, who GFI's in order to get within scoring distance (as well as to get the ball out of reach of most opposing players). He fails the GFI (the third disaster) and the ball spills favourably for my opponent. I try to re-assert some control over the spilled ball, but am now up against too many opponents (4), as the Wight and Ghoul come in from the far flank (where the Beast remains on the ground). On the last turn, I make an unlikely pick-up in 3 TZs, but fail the dodge away (I needed to hand-off to the gallant Rotter, who "only" needed a 3+catch and a GFI to score. Odds of the scoring attempt on turn 8 were a paltry 11% (but at the beginning of the drive, it looked more like 90%). Ah, well.

CAS NOTE: I was unlucky to get only 1 CAS as I had many KOs (including all 3 Ghouls). The KOs all came back. This was an important influence.

NURGLE DEFENSE NOTE: Scoreline notwithstanding, this game illustrates the power of the Nurgle defense, especially D-Pres, which forced my opponent to run the ball hard because he could not pass or hand-off. In just 2 defensive drives, my opponent spilled the ball 3 times (2 of these were from forced GFIs). In addition, I had 3 decent sack attempts on the opposing ball-carrier (only 1 succeeded). My opponent was only able to score by taking a big risk (his first TD was a 1 in 4 chance), or by using the Wizard (winning TD).

WIZARD NOTE: For the second game in a row, the Wizard got a 2 TD swing for my opponent. Be warned... such is Nurgle.

FINAL WORD: A wild game, both players suffered double skulls twice, plus multiple double 1 events or equivalent. We both felt we were spectating a game played by Nuffle. I played well, my standard is improving.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

QUICK DEVELOPMENT INTERLUDE AFTER 6 GAMES:
------------------------------------------------
Beast: +1STR (15 SPPs)
Warrior: Block (10)
Warrior: Block (6)
Warrior: Block (6)
Warrior: - (0)
Pest: S-Hands (12)
Pest: - (0)
Rotter: Block (8)
Rotter: - (1)
Rotter: - (0)
2 RR
4 FF
TV 131

Unlucky in results, but seemingly lucky (so far) in development. 12 SPPs lost on Rotters, sadly, but that is par for the course. 3 dead and retired players (Pest, 2 Rotters), also par for the course. 3 Block Warriors now (one got 2 MVPs), and the Beast is on the verge of his 2nd skill (B-Tackle would make him very active, Block would turn him into a supreme road block). So the "tight 5" are looking very good. Pestigors getting even more retarded in their development. This will likely have some implications for playing style, as it will mean no reliable ball-hunting Blitzers for a while. This is unusual (usually any Pestigors will garner TDs from time to time).

In the last match I felt the need for a 3rd RR in both halves. But playing with 2 continues to be "character building".

The team is developing in a style that would probably suit a league better than a short tourney! A skill a game for starting Nurgle is fine.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

7th MATCH: Against the same excellently coached Wood Elves as in match no. 4. Coach is an engineer by profession - he works out each turn as a detailed process! 12 players now, including a Tree (potentially nasty, can hold up many players), 2 Wardancers (one with Frenxy - ouch) and 2 Catchers (one with +1MA, yikes, this means one-turn-scores). I have the block advantage, though (4 to 2). But I also have only 12 players (short for Nurgle).

INDUCEMENTS: My opponent does not have enough for a Wizard (phew!), and takes 2 Babes (I would have done the same).

RESULT: Win 3-2 (CAS: 6-2).

COMMENTARY: A wild and wonderful match played in Pouring Rain throughout, with any result possible until well into the last quarter. I made no less than 4 blunders (!), but a wild piece of luck in my favour turned the match. A draw would not have been an unfair result (but I'll happily take the win after my 2 consecutive Wizard-caused losses!).

FIRST DRIVE: I receive, the kick goes short and wide, and disaster strikes quickly. First I lose a precious Block Warrior to a Thrown Rock (BH but Regened to reserves). This leaves me a player short for what I want to do. A massed attack by Warriors on the Tree knocks him over. Then I forget about the Pouring Rain (1st blunder). I fail to pick up the ball, it is exposed, my opponent knocks the Runner Pest down and grabs the ball with a Catcher. I clear a path and get the Beast's ST6 tackle zone on the said Catcher (10+ to escape). But I position my players wrongly, enabling my opponent to chain-push the Beast away (2nd blunder) and my opponent scores relatively easily. In the process he gets a BH on my precious Block Rotter (this is lucky - a CASd Rotter has only a 1 in 4 chance of being BH, because of Decay). So after just 2 turns I am (deservedly) 0-1 down with the bare 11 players left (thanks to Regen).

SECOND DRIVE: This time things go a bit better, I get a KO and a Stun on the first turn, knock the Tree over again in similar fashion, and cage up left of centre behind my front line, to await the inevitable "Wardancer incoming". The Wardancer makes his leap and sacks the Runner Pestigor - but then tries to dodge through traffic and falls over. I form a cage around him and foul - getting a BH. My opponent uses his Apoth to bring the precious Wardancer back to reserves (I would have done the same - this is a tournament). Then on the last action of the turn I manage a 2-dice block on the now standing Tree with my rookie Warrior. I get rather lucky and kill the Tree outright (a very slim chance). Ouch! After this, progress is somewhat easier, although I fail a GFI to form an upfield cage corner (1,2,1), my opponent is unable to exploit it. I go down the right flank (my opponent had the other flank well covered), manage a short stall, and score on turn 8. I still have 11 players.

THIRD DRIVE: My opponent has just the 1 turn left, he nearly manages a score with his MA9 Catcher (it fails 2 squares from the end zone). Phew! I have thrown a lot of blocks at the Catchers, including several 3-dice blocks from the Beast, but so far the dratted things are surviving. 1-1 at half-time, and I still have 11 players, my opponent has 10 (thanks to the Babes).

SECOND HALF, FOURTH DRIVE: Things go a bit wild, I get a Blitz result on the Kick-off Table, I swarm his players as best I can, but fail a GFI (1,1) to get next to the ball. In my glee, I forget about Frenzy (3rd blunder) and get 2 of my players surfed! Play is scrambled with many players bunched on the left flank, I manage a sack attempt on a Wardancer who is now holding the ball. It fails (last RR gone). Things look bad, I should lose another 2 players into the crowd, but Nuffle strikes, and my opponent rolls 1,1 on a dodge attempt with a Catcher. The Catcher is KOd, I take quite a few blocks, then surf the ball-carrying Wardancer (also KOd). The ball does not scatter far, my waiting Runner Pest picks it up and heads upfield to the safety of a bunch of his colleagues (but no way to keep it safe). He is duly sacked, I take yet more blocks, and fail to pick the ball up this time. My opponent, also out of RRs, cannot get at it. I use the Beast and a couple of Warriors to tie up players on the very crowded right flank (the crowding is much to my advantage) and pick the ball up this time. However, just as I am contemplating a stall for victory, the Beast rolls a 1 for his Really stupid, and I am forced to score on my 5th turn (the Wardancer was freed). 2-1 to the good guys, but a lot of match still to play.

FIFTH DRIVE: I am starting to get some advantage in numbers, but not enough to prevent the following play. I remember Frenzy this time, and set up a "Wall of Nurgle" defence (3 Rotters on the front line, 4 Warriors + Beast + 2 Pests in second line, Runner Pest behind the Beast). This forces my opponent to go through a Warrior at least. However, he ignores all that, goes for a one-turn-score and pulls it off, despite using his RR on the first block. About a 4% chance. I had 2 x D-Pres (+ Pouring Rain) on the receiving Catcher, but this was not enough - had I managed another D-Pres it might have worked. 2-2 and I have 3 turns left. Not only must I try to score, but I must avoid getting turned over, or I will lose!

SIXTH DRIVE: I get some luck as a KOd Wardancer rolls 2 successive 1s and stays in the dugout. This might be decisive. I get a Quick Snap, move 2 Pests into scoring position, but fail to use the Quick Snap it accurately, meaning I end up with a spawny cage (one corner is a bit out of position). This is my 4th blunder, it enables the remaining Wardancer to dodge rather than leap (better odds as it is into 2 tackle zones, not 3), and he duly sacks my Runner Pest (again!). Then I get another lucky break, the ball scatters to a Block Warrior who catches it (6 required). I think long and hard what to do (I have no RRs, and handing-off is hazardous in Pouring Rain). Eventually I find a way to free him and decide to move him downfield (12 squares to move in 2 turns, so 4 GFIs!). But at least he is better at holding the ball than any other player (the Pests all lack Block). The Warrior moves towards the 2 waiting Pestigors, but fails his second GFI, and the ball is spilled!. Luckily I had anticipated this, and moved my Runner Pest into pick-up distance. On turn 16 I clear the Woodies out of the way, pick up the ball with my Runner Pest, and attempt a hand-off to a waiting Pest 6 squares from the end zone. It is in Pouring Rain, so the match has come down to a coin toss, I need a 4+. I roll a 4 and we shake hands on a noble victory.

A wild game, with 6 drives (Nurgle average 3). I spilled the ball twice, got sacked twice, but still managed to score 3 times, which is quite a rarity for Nurgle, especially against strong opposition. Pouring Rain had a big impact (my opponent also spilled the ball a couple of times). I got lucky, but still managed some accurate and forceful play in between my blunders! My blocking game continues to improve (stymie Nurgle get to block a lot). I missed having 13 players, as it would have enabled me to foul more. I had an increasing numbers advantage as the match progressed, but I could have done with more (and I would have liked to get rid of more Wardancers and Catchers). When there are Babes around, you need to get CAS.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

ANOTHER QUICK DEVELOPMENT INTERLUDE

Things went well on the development front. The Beast and 3 Warriors each got a CAS, the Beast also got the MVP, the Runner Pest got 2 TDs, finally another Pest got a TD. Here is the team now:

Beast: +1ST, Break Tackle (22 SPPs)
Warrior: Block (10)
Warrior: Block (8)
Warrior: Block (8)
Warrior: - (2)
Pest: S-Hands, [4,4] (18)
Pest: - (3)
Rotter: Block (8)
Rotter: - (1)
2 RR
5 FF
TV: 141

I decide to buy a Rotter, and will likely stick stick with this roster for the learning experience (Beast, 4 Warriors, 3 Pests, 5 Rotters, 2RR) for the learning experience. This is a short format tourney, so lean TV matters more than it might in a long-running league with slayer teams. Underlying TV is just 116.

I am undecided as to what to give the Runner Pest as his second skill. In a long-running league, my preference would normally be Sure Feet on a doubles, but this is a short format tourney, with 60% of my opponents so far being Elven types who tend to sack the ball-carrier a lot. So I may lean towards Dodge, with the idea of taking Block at 31 SPPS (which should not be too far away). Block, Dodge, Sure Hands sounds rather nice for a tournament. Also, should the Beast get a doubles for his 3rd skill, I would likely give him Dodge (to go with Break Tackle at ST6). The more Dodge, the merrier - it is something of an all or nothing proposition for Nurgle. The Beast looks rather fine now, he will cast a pall of terror over a wide swathe of the pitch.

In general, team development looks to be going very well, and I do not recall having such "rapid" development on the Beast and the Warriors at this stage. In part this reflects AV7 opponents, but the downside of this is that my Pestigors have difficulty scoring against such opponents, thus are under-developed. So it is a little bit swings and roundabouts.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

RESULTS ROUND-UP AFTER 7 GAMES
-----------------------------------
2 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses.

TDs: 8-8

CAS: 20-9

Poor results by my standards, but I plead "Wizard" for the 2 lost games.

The only stat in PiM's favour is the CAS count (which is also helping development). There are not many matches left to play in this little tourney, I expect, but I dare to predict an improvement in results due to development advantage and my new lean TV policy (I wish I had done that earlier - it would have avoided the Wizards).

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

LESSON
-------
But for the Wizard, I would probably not have lost a single game so far, and my record might be as good as 4 wins, 3 draws (of course we will never know for sure).

Therefore in short format leagues and progression tourneys I will probably stick with the following maximum roster:

Beast, 4 Warriors, 3 Pestigors, 5 Rotters, 2 RRs, TV:116

Smeborg the Fleshless
s031720
Veteran
Veteran

Post by s031720 »

Thank you for your write-up, its extremely fascinating.

Could you explain in more depth how you could have managed your TV better early on? It would be helpful and interesting.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Thus there is a point in time when you shouldnt.
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

s031720 wrote:Thank you for your write-up, its extremely fascinating.

Could you explain in more depth how you could have managed your TV better early on? It would be helpful and interesting.
I don't think I would alter the purchases that I have made so far, thus the Wizards would still have zapped me in games 4 and 5. I have played a few more games than some of my opponents, which has contributed to the large handicaps, which are no doubt greater than would be the case in a regular short form weekend progression tourney.

But the two losses caused by the Wizard are very clear. Likewise in a short format tourney I once lost a game to a slayer Dwarf team due to inducements. He chose a Saw and a Bribe, and also ran with an 11-man roster, which was a lesson for me.

I am uncomfortable when playing with less than 13 players, although I have managed with 12 at a pinch, provided the opponent is not a bash team. The reason is that Nurgle need to get to the last meaningful drive of the match with 11 players, otherwise their ability to stymie starts to fall off dramatically. Without at least 3 Pests, the team is quite lacking in dynamism (if such an epithet may be applied to Nurgle!). My current thinking on rosters is as follows:

Standard starting roster: Beast, 4 Warriors, 1 Pest, 5 Rotters, 2 RR, TV100

Standard final roster: Beast, 4 Warriors, 4 Pests, 5 Rotters, 3 RR, TV131

Lean and mean final roster: Beast, 4 Warriors, 3 Pests, 5 Rotters, 2 RR, TV116

The only plausible ways to go below this underlying TV, to my mind, would be (a) to drop a Rotter (to TV112). But this would invite disaster against any bash team. The other way would be (b) to drop a RR to 1RR (TV109). Believe it or not, I am considering the 1RR option for the World Cup next month (currently playtesting by myself, and with a friend). Wish me luck - I might need it! But the underlying practical philosophy is that Nurgle work better in their opponent's turn than during their own, for which they don't need re-rolls.

Smeborg the Fleshless