VuK and Son

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Re: VuK and Son

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

My son (5) is becoming very interested as well. I was going to wait until next year to teach him but I might try a game a try soon with some simplified rules (maybe a shorter game, etc.)

It would be cool to compie some simple kid's rule ideas or something :)

Reason: ''
The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

IIRC 'bummonkey' has very good kiddie rules. 'bash bowl' it's called.
You could pm him for it..?

I should have the rules + field on my hdd somewhere. You can drop me a pm with your email adress, and I'll send them.
If I can find them, that is :) (very likely).

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:My son (5) is becoming very interested as well. I was going to wait until next year to teach him but I might try a game a try soon with some simplified rules (maybe a shorter game, etc.)

so far Anthony, it has gone like this.

Month 1-4 build up interest and start painting
month 5-6 read bedtime stories made up from fluff (Zara the slayer backstory is good for this)
Month 7 re-emphasize fluff and test on memory of positions and roles. as well as discuss star okayers and talented players from past
Month 8 pick rosters and start initial game with you playing Tier 3 team and ignore Niggles and majority of injury and kick off table. Don't introduce many skills unless on a star player that they control and are to your detriment.
Month 9, allow to read compendium and star player book from 2ed with warning that "some rules have changed since then"

seems to be working

best of luck my friend.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Calcium
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Calcium »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:My son (5) is becoming very interested as well. I was going to wait until next year to teach him but I might try a game a try soon with some simplified rules (maybe a shorter game, etc.)

What a great idea! I know there's the basic rules and advanced rules in the rulebook, but something could be done with regards to the font/layout/language to make it easier for our sons/daughters to digest :)

Sadly my boys are far more intrested in 'nerf wars', although my 9 yr old son is going to help me paint a winged Hive Tyrant!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Great thread VuK.

My son bought 3rd Ed. in 1997 in Hong Kong when he was 11. We started playing the following year (I was new to the game too). We used to play mainly on holidays, for example we would play mini-leagues over a 1 or 2-week holiday, 3 teams each, play each opposing team twice and then go to play-offs for 1st/2nd etc. We ended up buying all the 3rd Ed. teams, and played them all too. It was very exciting, we had no prejudices about playing styles, and we tried all kinds of things. It was very competitive.

My son was not interested in reading the rules, I had to do all of that.

When we started playing, I would win perhaps 5 out of 6 games. A few years later, the ratio was reversed. Unfortunately my son (now 25) has since lost interest in the game.

I enjoy coaching rookies and youngsters at our club. They are the future of the hobby. I've seen a few father/son combos.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Smeborg wrote:Unfortunately my son (now 25) has since lost interest in the game.
I'd give him a couple more years and then bust a team out on him as a present. Late twenties to early thirties seems about the time to start calming down and becoming re-interested in old hobbies. Hobbies that involve less partying and acting young and silly.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Lucky you. Hope it carries on.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

voyagers_uk wrote: so far Anthony, it has gone like this.

Month 1-4 build up interest and start painting
month 5-6 read bedtime stories made up from fluff (Zara the slayer backstory is good for this)
Month 7 re-emphasize fluff and test on memory of positions and roles. as well as discuss star okayers and talented players from past
Month 8 pick rosters and start initial game with you playing Tier 3 team and ignore Niggles and majority of injury and kick off table. Don't introduce many skills unless on a star player that they control and are to your detriment.
Month 9, allow to read compendium and star player book from 2ed with warning that "some rules have changed since then"

seems to be working

best of luck my friend.
Sounds like a good idea. I recently came into a ton of 2nd ed. plastics so I think I might start with those teams and use the base rings and all that to teach hi the positions instead of trying to figure out what's what just from the models.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

so next game was his Skaven (only skills 2 GR's with Block) versus my Norse

I was giving up 440k in inducements to him so he took Morg and what followed seemed to be going my way

I cas'd 2 of his players quite quickly, then a 3rd (SI - knocked down to a BH by his Apoth) on my way to score in turn 4

then the tide turned.... he scored 3 times and cas'd 3 of mine, laughing as he did so....

I managed to pull back a TD in Turn 7 and hoped for a clock roll back, which never came.

I then rolled 10k in winnings whilst he got 70k and secured first place in the league which we have forming...

he intends to paint up a high elf team now and wait until later this year to get a Necro team.

the fun continues...

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

next game is either his Orcs versus my Dark Elves or his Undead versus my Halflings

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

ok, his choice Undead versus Halflings...

I will get a chef and a wizard as inducements, his first time facing off against a Wiz!

now just have to wait for him to come home from grandparents to kick off..

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

that match was postponed as we finished painting his new Orc Blitzer and he wanted to try him out, so we played the next game first, his superhero themed Orcs (Da Pounders) versus my evil magician themed Dark Elves (Sinister Charms)

this was a game to forget for all but one of the Orcs, as the Dark Elves strolled off 3-0 winners

no casualties in this game, despite his lining up blitzes and blocks with Mighty Blow wielding players.

His Thrower "Iron Man" was exceedingly good, completing 4 short-long passes to reach his first skill (he then took accurate to suit his style)

his second Black Orc skilled up too and took tackle (against my advice) to help him take down dodgy players going forward...

I managed to get my Elves back up to 12 players and got an AG upgrade to my unskilled runner.

the Dark Elves now tie the Skaven for the lead in the table.

highlights in game
our first kick off "Blitz" rolled (he rolled it)
he saw me take the health care package of inducements, extra apoth and babes, I was scared of his strength advantage and it never played a part...
he is now seeing offence plays as well as defensive ones.

so much fun

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Just out of curiosity, how does he deals with the losses in the game?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I'm so looking forward to the full next generation coming through to tournaments, it's going to be huge.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

Axtklinge wrote:Just out of curiosity, how does he deals with the losses in the game?

he delights when they are mine of course...

his own have been interesting as he hasn't grown too attached to any players yet. His regeneration of dead/SI'd undead players has also helped.

we will introduce fouling in a few games time. So that should be good. his main focus recently has been building a cage and learning to hate dodging elves.