Gauntletina Panthers

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Gauntletina Panthers

Post by Tzalaran »

So, new season of local TT league started for my new team last night. Underworld is here to cause havoc and watch some goblins get killed in new and exciting ways.

Through 6 friendlies, the team had advanced to this
Troll - 8 spp claw
Sk. Thrower 1 - 8spp block
Sk. Thrower 2 - 11spp +mv
Sk Blitzer 1 - 6spp tackle
Sk Blitzer 2 - 8 spp +ag
Sk Linerat 1 - 6spp Wrestle
Sk Linerat 2 - 6spp +ag
7 goblins, 1 with -mv but none with spp
3 RR Apo 14 players 1340 TV

We faced an Orc squad which had a rough go of some early friendlies, but got inducements to beef up their squad. (3 Bobs, 1 tackle MB blitzer, 1 merc blitzer, 1 thrower, the rest lineorcs, but he did have 4 rerolls). He won the toss and elected to kick. Opening kick was a Riot, and the Panthers busted into the aggressive Orc setup, knocking a few of them down, pushing around a few others, leaving a solid line of rats and greenskins between the Orcs and the ball, but the pickup was failed, even with the sure hands reroll, and the Orcs moved to counterattack. they knocked goblins down with the greatest of ease, but as would be the case all game, the goblin armor would prove to be sufficient to protect the little buggers from the big bad Orcs. The Troll blitzed in my turn 3, but the double skull block turned over to the Orcs who pushed along their left flank to sweep around the line of rats and greenskins (Thrower 1 was KOd and wouldn't return the rest of the game). i dropped some goblins back to screen the remaining thrower from the blitzer threatening him, and with a goblin dodging into the opposing backfield i was able to set up a blitz by Blitzer 2, who was able to make a little seam in the orc line i could possibly exploit. The thrower grabbed the ball (needing sure hands) and ran forward and threw to Linerat 2, who broke through the crease and gfi to get deep into Orc territory and scoring range. goblins dodged through the orc line to create a halfhearted screen which i knew wouldn't be effective, but was better than nothing. Here, the Orc coach surprised me by completely ignoring my ball carrier and focused on staying away from my Troll (after the game, the coach admitted to me he was trying to keep my Troll as far from his team so he didn't have multiple injuries like the last time we played. i had forgotten about that game...) i was able to stall until turn 8 and put the ball in the end zone for a 1-0 lead. the turn 8 kick let the orcs beat down 2 of the 3 LOS goblins, but the one armor break would only stun the little guy, and the goblins armor seemed like plate mail to the rest of the orcs.

The second half kick saw another riot, and the Orcs engaged the panthers across the line, but i was able to dodge a goblin around my right flank, and get a 2db blitz on the carrier, but my tackle blitzer was in the KO bin and the dodgy orc thrower kept his feet through the block. goblins and rats reengaged the Orcs to prevent them from easily falling back on the 2 goblins and linerat marking the thrower, but the dodgy orc ran away, but couldn't get into a cage with the other orcs tied up, and i was able to surround the thrower with goblins and linerat, ignoring the blitzer he'd sent deep into my territory. He tried the pass anyway, 1 rr to 5, so the ball was still fumbled and i was able to push the thrower away after a goblin caught the bouncing ball, and raced down to the end to hand off to the thrower left on the pitch. failed the catch with a RR, but the next turn the thrower scooped up the ball and scored, giving the Panthers a 2-0 lead. That would hold up to be the final score, as a desperation push by the Orcs backfired, and the Panthers failed the pass to a blitzer in the end zone on the final turn after a pretty intense series of dodges and blocks to free up the passing lane down the right sideline. 4+ roll failed on a 2 and 1, but it was a fitting end to a fun game. First game where i got 0 CAS with this UW squad... His avoidance of my troll and targeting of my blitzers worked pretty well on that account.

While this game occurred, the roar of the crowd from the game next to us kept sending us into chuckles, as a high elf team coached by my son pitch cleared a skaven team by gang fouling stunned rats in turns 15 and 16 (the elves had 6-7 left on the pitch). both coaches were laughing uproariously, and added into the fun we had.

Thrower 2 finished the game with 16spp, normal roll and took Block, as this game proved both our teams are well short of block necessary. first MVP went to +ag blitzer, getting him within a TD of his second skill. i'll need to get him and the +ag linerat skilled up quick, but my TV is sitting at 1370, and there won't be much to increase it unless i decide to go to 4 RRs (which i'm pretty sure i won't). Up next for the Panthers is a developed High Elf squad that was in the finals last season. i should be getting about 350-400k in inducements, and i'm thinking the ball and chain star player might be just what i need for this game...

Reason: ''
Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Gauntletina Panthers

Post by Tzalaran »

So, Week 3 in the league came and saw me matched up with a demoralized High Elf team, who had lost their two stars, +AG thrower and +AG leap catcher in the first 2 weeks. (My team had a bye week one due to only having 5 in the division). The highborn were still giving up 60000 in inducements to me, so i grabbed the Babe and won the toss, so we kicked off.

High kick was fielded cleanly by the rookie thrower, and the Highborn blitzer wasted no time blitzing the goblin on my right sideline, clearing a path for the catcher to get into scoring range. the catcher on the other side dodged through and into scoring range, so i had a choice come my turn, blitz with my tackle stormvermin or dodge blitz the catcher with blodgestep with no tackle. i chose tackle, but the blitz failed and the Highborn wasted no time taking a 1-0 lead with a nice throw to the catcher who dodged away and scored in turn 2. The subsequent kick landed in my endline, and he'd lined up aggressively so of course i had done the same. i slipped my right flank goblin and linerat back to help the thrower, and commenced blocking. got a stun from the Troll, but other than that not much, and the Helfs dodged around my center scrum to put pressure down my right flank. This allowed my thrower with the ball to run to the left and throw the ball to my +ag blitzer, who ran deep into highborn territory providing an assist so the linerat could blitz the thrower and stun him. i was able to stall, but had to score in turn 5 because stalling further would have been risky.

a Thrown rock from the Panther's fans KOd a linelf, a fitting portent of what was to come. He attempted the same right flank maneuver (which i tried to bait him into), but his thrower was just in range of a goblin with 1 gfi, and my wrestle linerat with 2, and i took that shot at the ball, both down dropping the thrower and leaving the ball on the pitch. the Panthers swarmed the ball, picking it up with the +mv thrower and getting into a screen. The Highborn were able to pop the ball free in turn 7, but they'd had to bring all their elves back as the blocks from the Troll and Stormvermin started breaking through the Helf armor and removing them from the pitch, and when they regained control of the ball in turn 8 they had no one in scoring range. a foul from Goblin 8 sent another elf into the injury bin (blitzer removed really helped in the second half), and the half ended tied at 1.

The second half kick saw the highborn with only 7 on the pitch, and the UW Troll swiftly removed another one, not needing Claw nor Mighty Blow for assistance! The elves put up a spirited defense, but the tackle vermin got into the CAS action in turn 10, and the Panthers marched the ball down the field to score in turn 12. This almost backfired, as the Highborn were able to collect the kickoff, keep their thrower out of gfi range this time, and get a catcher downfield. i'd prepared for this, and was able to get 7 players around the blitzer and catcher, forcing 4+ (dodge cancelled) 4+ (dodge RR ava) 3+ 2+ in order for them to score. they failed the second 4+ roll 2 - 3, and the ball bounced out of bounds, the crowd through it out of the endzone, and then into play next to a goblin. The Panthers were able to collect the ball and get it to Seenew the thrower, who scored in turn 16 for a 3-1 victory, but not before the fouling goblin was killed by a Highborn blitzer, and the Wrestle linerat was surfed and the crowd was utterly unkind, -MV APO to -MV.

Troll is up to 12 SPP, 2 score thrower was at 15 and got the MVP to put them at 20. other thrower started and finished the game with 16, and +ag blitzer with TD and CAS got to 19. Thrower that leveled was normal roll and took tackle, while the +AG blitzer got a normal roll and took Mighty Blow. fired the injured rat, and replaced it and the dead Goblin, and still have 80,000 in the treasury. Sitting at 2-0 and should be in the lead in the division, i have Chaos Renegades and Goblins left, and then i move into 6 games with the other division (Dark Elves, High Elves, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarves, Skaven, and Ogres) before i finish with a bye and then 4 more games against my division foes.

Team is sitting at 1390 TV, with 3 RR and an APO, and 14 players. i'll be giving up inducements to my next opponent, but should be getting enough for Kreek or Glart in most of the rest of my matches unless teams get wrecked. guess i need to work on my Kreek conversion and figure out what to do for Glart and Madcap Migz (the only Stars i'd think of using, but i wish they still got access to the Gutter star...)

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

The Panthers took the field against the Gorecrushers, a Chaos Renegades team with a few less games under its belt than the Panthers, but they boasted a guard Mino and Troll, as well as the Ogre, so the Panthers were prepared to face a bunch of 3db from the bigs, the goblin was MNG, so only the Dodge Delf, Orc, wrestle Rat, along with 6 Marauders made up the opposition. The Panthers had fame and won the toss, electing to kick and see if our defense could hold. The minotaur killed Goblin 10 with the second block of the game, and things looked bleak for the Panthers early, as the Gorecrushers collected the ball and held back out of range of the Panthers. Keuch the troll blitzed the minotaur, KOing it for harming his little buddy, but the Panthers pushed into a bad position the Gorecrushers were able to take advantage of and knock rats and goblins down with reckless abandon. The Gorecrushers caged at midfield, and forgetting about guard on the troll, i blitzed into a -2db on the carrier with the tackle stormvermin, but that failed miserably with stumbles skull rerolled into push skull, stunning the vermin. The Gorecrushers pushed forward with the Orc, one marauder, and the Delf ballcarrier, marking my +AG vermin. i responded by pulling everything back into my side of the pitch, and dodged away with the vermin to get a 1db on the carrier, achieving a push to get him out of scoring range, and then marking him. The Gorecrushers tried to blitz the marker free, but the 2 gfi ate his TRR and the skull skull block ended their turn. i used goblins to cancel assists, and got the blitz on the carrier with the tackle vermin, stumbles, CAS BH! elected to not APO it, and that really swung the game my way. a nasty scrum ensued around the ball, but the rats were able to stun the Ogre and get the ball out of tackle zones, but the thrower snaked the pick up, while the rookie linerat caught the bouncing ball. The linerat was able to run the ball over to the thrower on the left side of the pitch, who ran deep into Gorecrusher territory with a small screen of rats and goblins, waltzing in for a turn 8 score.

The second half kick was deep, and i was able to blitz a hole down the right sideline, which the vermin and +ag linerat used to get into Gorecrusher territory. troll and others dropped back to protect the carrier, and the +AG vermin tried to dodge through a few TZ, failing and stunning himself. Here the Gorecrushers decided to gang foul that vermin, which got the marauder sent off and stunned the vermin some more. This seemed to fire up the Panthers, as the Tackle vermin BH another marauder, a linerat surf hurt another, and a boot from a goblin sent the linerat to the CAS box with a niggle apo to -MV. The panthers were able to seal a path down the right sideline, and break into the clear. i tried to set up a handoff to the tack blitzer, but the handoff failed and the ball bounced to the +AG vermin who caught it, got blitzed and knocked down by the Gorecrusher Ogre (needing 2 gfi on the blitz), but i was able to blitz the Ogre off the ball, pick it up with the desired vermin, and score taking a 2-0 lead in turn 13. Still fired up from all the carnage the Panthers executed a blitz to perfection, with the +AG linerat catching the kickoff and all Gorecrushers in range marked, but the Gorecrusher Ogre killed another goblin, and they were able to mark the linerat and seal off the easy path to the score down the sidelines. the Panthers wasted no time setting up a screen and the linerat dodged away from the mess and ran into safety, scampering into the endzone in turn 16. the Gorecrushers were able to CAS another goblin (only BH this time) and complete a pass, and the game ended 3-0.

+AG linerat got MVP and up to 16 SPP, and rolled... +AG. so i need to forcefeed that rat SPP to get him block ASAP, but i've never had an AG 5 rat that wasn't a gutter runner before. should be fun. Troll got a CAS, so is 1 short of getting second level, and the tackle vermin sits at 15 SPP, so should be able to level in my next match when i face the goblin team. both throwers are above 16, and the rookie linerat and +AG vermin had quiet games (vermin drew alot of attention due to only non bg mb on team, but didn't do much aside from that).
TV up to 1440, with 130 of that to a linerat with no skills...

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

After a long break the Panthers once again took the field, this time against goblins. and it was hot goblin on goblin crime all game long.

i got enough enducements for 2 apos, babe, and a bribe, and the goblin coach won the toss and took the ball, as winners do. kick landed on the center LoS goblin, who surprisingly enough caught it in a tackle zone, and the trolls bashed into the Panthers goblin line, stunning two goblins and blitzing the last one to an injury (i used an apo since i could while still having 2 in my pocket), and they formed a nice cage at midfield before their looney decided to foul the goblin on the ground by the ballcarrier. doble 4s into double 4s got the saw sent off, and really set the tone for the rest of the match. some blocks by the panthers gave them a little room, and set up a surf on a goblin to help get up on numbers. the goblins pushed forward a bit, but were unable to create a hole, and the panthers were able to use pushes to get a blitz on the carrier, which sent the carrier off the pitch with an injury. The Panthers were able to secure the ball a turn later and push downfield. The panthers proceeded to remove goblins and trolls with ruthless efficiency, -ST to the block guard troll with no regen, and the other troll was KOd and woudln't return until the final drive. a turn 5 score gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead, and a failed catch of a handoff would prevent a turn 8 Panther's score.

The second half continued as the first, with the Panthers taking no time to score in turn 10, and the twin tacklers causing havoc while the troll and other stormvermin caused injury. The Goblins didn't give up, but their scoring chance was ended by a failed dodge into the clear, and the panthers easily secured the ball and got the unskilled linerat his second touchdown of the game in turn 16 for a 3-0 Panthers win. It was a game where goblins gonna gob, and as some of our leaguemates walked by the table they gave their condolences to my opponent on seeing a full CAS box.

So, that concluded the first divisional round of play, for the next 6 weeks i'll play each other division team once, then finish with 4 more games against my division (other div has 6, we have 5). i'm sitting at 4-0-0, with 12 league points, which is good enough for second overall and first in my division. all the deaths and injuries to my team have left the treasury bare, 20,000 is all i have, last two games i've had fame and won and only gotten 30,000 in each game. heading into inter divisional play, my roster looks like this:

10 FF, 3 RR, 1,460,000 TV (1.5 TW with MNGs)
troll - 18 SPP - Claw, Tents
Sk. Thrower - 23 SPP - Block, Tackle
Sk. Thrower - 17 SPP - Block, +MV
SK. Stormvermin - 17 SPP - Tackle, Mighty Blow
Sk Stormvermin - 28 SPP - +AG, MB
Sk Linerat - 8 SPP - Wrestle
Sk Linerat - 19 SPP - +AG, +AG
7 Goblins with 0 SPP (1MNG)

next opponents are Ogres, CDorfs, Lizards, Delfs, Helfs, and Rats. CDorfs are the scariest team for me, as the Lizards are only 5 games in and not really developed like the CDorfs are.

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

Ogres were unable to make our match, so that was treated as a concession and i moved on to the Cdorfs.

480,000 in inducements, so i took Kreek, 2 bribes, apo, and keg, the fat lot of good they did me. Kreek started out well, but a third turn skull both down removed him from the pitch, but only into reserves. goblins and rats flew from the pitch, and the troll could barely do more than stand up after getting knocked down every turn. the Cdorfs bulldozed up the field, and by their turn 8 score i had 5 left on the pitch. Bribes both failed, argue the call banned the coach, and that is the way the rest of the game went. out of 9 KO players i got back 4 the whole game. 0-3 loss where the only good thing was all the injuries were Badly hurts, except for one dead goblin. i had 5 blocks where i rolled a stumbles or pow all game, and one of those was a turn 2 Kreek stumbles on the ballcarrier with dodge. most turns i couldn't even foul anyone because i couldn't get anything on the turf. one of those games that was bad enough to sit through i don't care to rehash it overly much. Still, the MVP got my thrower a level (only SPP i got all game), so a normal roll on a block tackle thrower. haven't decided what to take on him, but leaning towards big hand... i'm still sitting in a good spot in my division, and i hope my team comes to play next week, because this was just abysmal.

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

High elves were next on the schedule, coached by my son. game started out promising, with the rats able to knock the elven carrier down and pick up the ball, but the elves knocked it free again followed by the panthers and then back to the elves, but this time they started knocking out the panthers at a rapid pace, and took a 1-0 lead with 3 turns left in the half. a riot gave me even more time to score, and i was able to collect the ball and move to midfield. the elves swarmed the panthers, and the troll went stupid which forced the panthers into a 1db into a 2db to free the ballcarrier. skull rerolled into a skull. elves knock down the carrier and are off for a turn 8 score. 2-0 at halftime.

i played horribly for the rest of the game, but no matter what i did, elven dice wouldn't fail the rest of the game. all game, he had 3 blocks that didn't knock me down, and over half of those broke armor. 8 KOs and 3 CAS sustained in a 5-0 rout. my dice weren't bad like last game, they just couldn't match 2+ that never saw 1s, and block dice that were always pow on goblins and stumbles on rats or the troll. the wrestle linerat was killed apo killed, other than that just badly hurt goblins.

2 games in a row where i struggled to get any removals and 2nd game in a row i was roflstomped. i'm sensing a pattern...

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

changing jobs so my ability to post will be limited here out.

played against Lizards after the Helfs. this was a 2-1 victory to the Lizards because he rolled nothing but POW and 5+. my score was because my stat freak linerat (2 +AG) pulled off a crazy run into tz pick up ball dodge away run around and throw a medium length pass which was caught. i got the ball in the second half, but by turn 12 i had 4 rats on the pitch (troll was KOd this whole game, got KO in top of turn 1 when i kicked, and never took the pitch again) and all my goblins were in the ko, CAS or sin bins. three losses in a row had me pretty down on the team in general, and with Delfs coming up i assumed it would be 4 losses in a row.

This game went the Panthers way. i was able to get removals early and often, and was able to score 3 after giving up a turn 2 touchdown to the Witch. a Goblin got a CAS, giving the first SPP to a gobbo all season (both my OTTD attempts have failed animosity lol). This left me with some confidence going into a matchup with a suboptimal Skaven team.

This game the Panthers came out with a temper and maintained it all game. my tackle blitzer and tackle thrower harassed his 2 gutters all game long, finally badly hurting one while the other was locked down pretty well. turn two he left his thrower in blitz range, and the gfi succeeded and i was able to pop the ball free, secure it, and stall for a few turns to take a 1-0 lead. dice went downhill for the skaven coach, burning through rerolls early in turns and causing more than one turnover i was able to exploit en route to a 3-0 victory. This completed the out of conference portion of my schedule, going 3-0-3 for a 7-0-3 record going into my final 4 games. (Orcs, High Elves, Goblins, and Renegades are the teams in my division i have left to play).

here is the team as it sits now:
TV: 1560 TW: 1600 (one MNG goblin) RR: 3 FF: 9 APO 0 coaches or cheer
Troll - 25 spp, Claw Tents
Thrower 1 - 33 spp Block Tackle, Big Hand
Thrower 2 - 34 spp Block +MV, Two Heads
Blitzer 1 - 33 spp Tackle, Mighty Blow, +ST
Blitzer 2 - 36 spp +AG, Mighty Blow, Claw
Linerat 1 - 0 spp (this one keeps dying)
Linerat 2 - 39 spp +AG, +AG, Block
7 Goblins all unskilled, one has 2 spp

i should be in good position for a playoff birth this season, only the High Elves in my division may be an obstacle to a division championship.

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

been a while, so i'll catch up on the finish to this season.

in the final 4 games, i went 3-1-0, with the tie coming against the Renegades squad who diced me pretty good, but was unable to capitalize before my dice heated up in the second half and removed most of his team.

In the Playoffs i faced the High Elvises again(3rd time this season), and it was another patented 2-1 victory where he scored in turn 2 and i beat the hell out of him the rest of the game while scoring in tuns 8 and 15. His two turn attempt failed when a foul on his downed catcher killed him, and none of the rest of his elves were in scoring range.

The finals saw the Panthers face off against the Chaos Dwarves again after the Lizards/Cdorf match went to overtime and the Chorfs were able to punch in an OT TD. This game was all Chorfs, as my +MVx2 thrower was -MV apo -AV in turn 2 or 3, and my Claw/MB trio couldn't roll above a 5 on 2d6. 1-2 loss and a 2nd place finish which got me the new GW halfling box when it is released.

Most coaches are changing teams for next season (Delfs going to goblins, chorf going to flings, and Elvises going dwarf), so i decided to bring these guys back for another shot at a title run. i'm bringing back the Troll, 1 thrower, both blitzers, and both linerats, along with 1 goblin, and getting a rookie thrower and 6 rookie goblins, went up to 4 RR, and kept my 10 fan factor and apo. still have 130k to get replacements with as well. second experience with redrafting and this went much better because i had 23 games played, not 4...

All in all, my first experience with Underworld was a good one, and i'm looking forward to playing them again.