New Orkleans Saints

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

New Orkleans Saints

Post by Tzalaran »

Joined a local TT league recently and figured i'd write about it here. filling in for a coach that dropped, so i'm taking a team with few games under its belt against developed teams, so i chose Orks to play. fluff for team is new thrower came to town and kicked the troll and goblins out at the first practice for not following directions and their inherent dirty trick playstyle. We're going to smash people on the pitch the way nuffle intended, he told the remaining greenskins, and we'll work our way to pitch supremacy with hard hits, fast strikes, and a tenacious intensity. The team started buying in after Droobries KOd a goblin from the Warpstolina Panthers who dared to foul Rankshell the Black orc in their first game.

joining the league, my roster looks like this
TV 1240 3 RR 3FF
Thrower - 11 SPP (3 Cmp, 1 MVP, 1 TD) Block
Bob - 0 SPP
Bob - 0 SPP
Bob - 16 SPP (3 CAS 2 MVP) Block Guard
Bob - 0 SPP
Blitzer - 3 SPP
Blitzer - 8 SPP +1 ST
Blitzer - 3 SPP
Blitzer - 3 SPP
Line - 0 SPP
Line - 1 SPP
LIne - 0 SPP

Their 4 warm up games were against Underworld, High elves, Amazons, Chaos with a 1/2/1 record, losing first game, draws on next two, then finally getting a win.

First game in the league for me was against High elves, and i got 490,000 in inducement money. in hindsight, i should have taken a master chef and wizard, but i went with 2 RR, 2 babes, and a wandering APO all of which played no factor.

game started off well for the greenskins kicking off, and elves failing dodges early in their first turn, causing a BH to one of his blitzers. Orc blocks knocked down some elves, and the blitz by Ming (+1 ST blitzer) caused another injury to the pointy ears. The elves got a catcher and their other blitzer down into my end of the pitch, but failed another dodge before his thrower could collect the ball. i was able to beat down some more of the highborn, but no further injuries and put orcs in base contact with his receivers, but was unable to knock them down with the blitz. the thrower collected the ball and threw it to a target on the sideline near the halfway line, i rolled a 6 for the intercept, but safe throw of 2+ succeeded and the elfs were able to dodge out and score in their turn 5.

A thrown rock KOd Droobries the thrower, so one of my lineorcs was able to collect the ball and sit with a couple orcs by him for protection. The highborn pushed forward on the right flank, but were not in a position to threaten the ball, and i was able to knock down the elves on the left flank, run the ball forward and complete a pass to a blitzer, and push the ball downfield in the bottom of turn 6. i got into range to score, but a 1d blitz on the ballcarrier knocked him down and the half ended 1-0.

Droobries returned from his KO, and i felt pretty confident i could even the score, but my opponent didn't fail another die roll the rest of the game, and he knocked the thrower down once he was in scoring range, and was able to get the ball and flip the field on me, stalling since no orc was in that half of the pitch. i surrounded his sidestep blodging catcher he left on the sideline and surfed him (that piece singlehandedly won him the game) getting a KO, and i was able to force a dodge into the endzone in turn 16 (which he failed RR success) by a double dodge double gfi move by a blitzer, but he scored to make it a 2-0 win for the highborn.

had i taken the master chef and stolen 1 RR per half, i'd have only lost 1-0, with a good chance of tying 1-1 because he'd not have gotten to reroll the skull block on my ballcarrier at the end of half 1. i'm not used to having that much in inducements, and with a new team i'm trying to develop i don't like star players eating up SPPs that would go to a permanent player, so i declined Morg when offered. Lesson learned.

got 3 CAS in the game total (one on a Bob, one on +ST Blitzer, and another with leveled Bob), and the MVP leveled up a Blitzer who rolled + AG, so that will be helpful, although i'd really have prefered a normal roll to get a tackle player. elfs, skaven, and goblins in my division, along with another orc team, so the anti dodge skill would have been very helpful, but can't pass up an elfork. also picked up my 2nd bench lineorc, and i shouldn't need to purchase another player for the life of the team aside from replacing the dead/nasty permed ones... i had some really good armor rolls throughout the match, pointy ears stunned all over the pitch, and a few of those turned into injuries (2BH, 2 MNG, and a niggle APO to BH combined with 3 KOs total, but 2 of the injuries were to failed dodges instead of blocks).

Roster after first game
Thrower - 11 SPP Block
Bob - 0 SPP
Bob - 0 SPP
Bob - 18 SPP Block Guard
Bob - 2 SPP
Blitzer - 3 SPP
Blitzer - 10 SPP +ST
Blitzer - 8 SPP + AG
Blitzer - 3 SPP
line - 1 SPP
line - 1 SPP
line - 0 SPP
line - 0 SPP

Goblins are next, scheduled to play this Sunday

Reason: ''
LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New Orkleans Saints

Post by LJCA »

Hey buddy, nice to see a new face in the forum, gets a little quiet in here sometimes :D

My first team were 'Orkland Raiders' and had a blast with them, I managed to level up my Thrower a couple times, went against normal route for Orcs and gave him accurate and Safe pass, tbh he was crazy good, hardly ever failed a dice roll, coupled with an AG4 Blitzer like yourself, at times I could play like Elves! lol

You've a couple a star players in the making there with ST4 Blitzer, AG4 Blitzer and Block,Guard BlOrc.

Looking good!

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

Thanks, i've enjoyed your Texans blog and felt i should contribute...

Yes, i'm very excited about the stat bumps, but i'm almost to the point where i hate getting stat bumps on the first level because it seems to slow down the effectiveness when compared to core skill acquisition. Once Rankshell the Bob got Block, he zoomed to level 2, while Ming got the +ST at about the same time and just got his first subsequent SPPs in this last game, and still needs 6 for his next level. First world problems and all that tho...

i like your idea for a Thrower build, and i don't understand the general dismissal of the Thrower positional. Comes in too handy in tight spaces for me to pass on. Have next match tomorrow, so i'll update as soon as i get free time afterwards. :D

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

New Orkleans Saints vs. Goblins

Goblins won the toss and elected to receive, giving up inducements enough for a Babe to the Orcs, surprising the Goblin coach. The Saints deployed spread out on the line, and spaced their columns back to stay at the extreme range of the Fanatic, who to the coach's surprise lined up on the left flank of the Orcs. The fans swarmed the Ref, providing both teams a bribe that would benefit the secret weapons much more than the non-fouling saints. The kick landed near the center of the goblin's side of the pitch, and the Goblins swarmed into action, with the Fanatic hitting the orc facing him all three times it moved! unable to break armor until the third block (push, pow, broke armor), the lineorc lay stunned for a while. one troll went stupid (one of 3 on the day), but the other bashed a Bob but was unable to break armor. a failed pickup gave the Saints an opening, and blitzers from both flanks sped towards the ball. blocks didn't work very well and led the ork line into contact with the goblin team across the whole scrimmage line, with only Droobries hanging back as a safety. The goblins were able to collect the ball, hand it off to the doom diver, but the troll fumbled the TTM and the diver nailed the landing but couldn't move before a failed dodge from another goblin left an opening for the saints.

Rankshell moved to engage both Trolls, and his guard allowed Ming to get a 3dblitz on the doom diver, getting a Pow and the ball scattered back from the trolls. Akam was able to get into base contact with the ball and one goblin, which allowed the stuntys to gang up on him and push him off the ball, and the pogo was able to snatch the ball and run through an opening made by the trolls to break into open field along the left sideline. The fanatic failed a gfi and left the game stunned, but the bribe failed and it was banned! a blitzer was able to get into contact with 2 gfis on the pogo, and the Bobs started making their presence felt with a CAS (dead niggled x2 goblin)! The pogoer was able to dodge away from the blitzer and score, 1-0 stunty greenskins.

The Orcs lined up to bash the trolls, and it backfired when the Goblins started before the Saints were ready. the orc line was swarmed, their block assists cancelled, but the goblin dodging along the sidelines trying to get the ball failed and stunned itself, leaving the ball unprotected. Droobries was able to scoop up the ball, and more goblins left the pitch as another Bob got into the CAS action. some careful positioning allowed the blitzer still standing on the left flank to knock down the chainsaw weilding lunatic, getting a CAS as well. another goblin left the pitch KOd, and the orcs fell back a little to protect the ballcarrier. with time running out in the half, the orcs pushed into high gear and advanced their cage to midfield, with a pair of blitzers getting into scoring range. failed dodges into the cage let the orcs maneuver for the handoff, and they tied the game at the end of turn 8, 1-1.

The second half kick saw brilliant coaching give the goblins an extra reroll, but with all the CAS and the KO player not coming back they could only field 4 goblins and the 2 trolls. The orcs were able to push the ball downfield quckly, but needed all of their rerolls in order to complete the pass to a blitzer and score in turn 12. another bribe from the rowdy fans attacking the Ref accompanied the ensing kickoff, and the doom diver made a well executed OTTD to tie the game up at 2!

Cheering fans provided another reroll to the goblin team, and the Saints dug deep to try and pull out the win. the kick landed right next to Droobries, who collected the ball and was able to get into a cage near the left hashmark. an impressive dodge blitz by Elmo the tickle troll got him into contact with Droobries, and the pogoer made some nifty moves to join. Ming blitzed the troll, getting assists for a 2db and knocked the troll down, BH! Regen successful but Elmo off the pitch cleared the way for the turn 8 score. Droobries pushed the pogoer off and set up for the final play. a failed dodge gave the Saints an opening, so Droobres ran up the field and threw the ball to Akam, the _AG blitzer. pass failed, rerolled to success, caught! Akam ran to the endline at the end of turn 15, and Ming made a gfi to get into base contact with the downed goblin in blitz range. good thing he did, goblin failed the dodge and Akam scores to take a 3-2 lead over the Goblins.

Aware of the Doom Diver's tricks now, the Saints set up in all out defense on the 2nd rank of squares from their endline, with Bobs standing on the sideline (not that it helped forcing tackle zones with stunties... High Kick set things up perfectly, and the ball lands at the center LoS and bounes back one square, perfect for the OTT attempt. all is successful until the 2nd dodge, snake eyes and the ball bounces free on the pitch between Ming and Droobries as the final whistle sounded. 3-2 Victory to the Saints!

opponent played those goblins really well... when he's getting inducements i think that team will be very nasty to face, and i had some very hot dice, 1 dead, 1 MNG, 4 BH (one came on a crowd surf, another on a failed dodge, so not all SPP generating), Bob #4 got 2 CAS, so is up to 6 SPP and got block. Blitzer #1 got a TD and is at 6 SPP, he got tackle. Blitzer #4 got CAS and MVP and got +1AG.

i'll update my roster as it sits once i get my stuff unpacked, but my opponent was fun, asked why i hadn't been playing with them for longer. :lol:

TV 1410 FF 4 RR 3 Apo
Droobrez Thrower 12 SPP Block
Camjor Bob 0 SPP
Ramcheck Bob 2 SPP
Rankshell Bob 18 SPP Block, Guard
Unger the Hungry Bob 6 SPP Block
Akam Blitzer 8 SPP Tackle
Ming Blitzer 12 SPP +ST
Marlat Blitzer 11 SPP +AG
Emdav Blitzer 10 SPP +AG
Kvac Line 1 SPP
Vonbel Line 1 SPP
Ironhead Line 0 SPP
Terarm Line 0 SPP

Skaven are up next, so i'm glad i got a blitzer with tackle, but having a +AG blitzer on both sides of the pitch will be very nice...

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

New Orkleans Saints VS. other Orks...

Pulled out a hard fought 1-0 win in this one. got a blitz on the kickoff, and the way he set up my +AG blitzers were able to each come from a side and sandwich the ball with 2 GFIs. His troll and blanket Guard Bob's beat me down early, stunning several of the Saints and neutralizing the blitzer push i'd made and he secured the ball in a cage near midfield. i was able to reposition, and get my +ST blitzer and thrower free and back midway deep in my end, and the middle became a scrum. no one could break armor, and pushes were more common than knockdowns. i engineered a chainpush that pushed the ballcarrier into a couple of my guys and they were finally able to knock him down, and Marlat the elfork lived up to his +AG and dodged to grab the ball, picked it up, dodged away and downfield, providing an assist to seal the other team away. A Dodge by an opposing Bob worked, but he failed the gfi needed to complete the blitz action and Marlat broke downfield and into the clear. a desperation turn 8 dodge gfi gfi blitz failed, and Marlat walked into the endzone to take the 1-0 lead.

the second half kickoff went deep by the endline, and bounced up against the sideline one square away from the goal. couldn't get anyone to pick it up without multiple gfis, so pulled a lineman back and the thrower, and let the big guys engage. i still couldn't break armor, but was able to push the whole opposing line off me and made it so he only got his blitz block the next turn. caged up and was able to push him back a little again, and was able to break Marlat back downfield to draw some attention. he continued to go one on one with Marlat, but i positioned the other +AG blitzer ahead and to the left of the cage, and when he overcompensated with my cage to the right, my thrower broke through a hole into the clear, tactical error made when the linork double skulls to double both down, and i don't get anyone downfield to protect Droobrez. blitz yields push skull, rerolled to push skull, and he stayed on his feet, but is surrounded by greenskins with the wrong color jerseys. make a pretty nice dodge blitz but it turns up skulls, and i'm not able to push my thrower to safety, and he gets KOd the next turn. failed pickup gives me the breathing room i needed, and i'm able to stall him except for a turn 16 5+dodge, 5+pickup, 6+pass 3+catch that failed on the pass. 1-0 Saints.

my opponent's troll was not stupid often at all, failing 2 rolls, one of those with no assists. (he only succeeded one of 2 4+ RS checks, all the rest got a bonus). i got a CAS in turn 16, along with a KO in turns 15 and 16, only armor breaks of the game for me. one of the +AG blitzers was BH, but i got enough enducements for a babe and extra APO. my opponent had MB on all his blitzers, and that was the difference in armor breaks going to his favor, but my stat bumps really changed the game, and he mentioned he wished he'd gotten some stat freaks like i did.

MVP went to + ST blitzer, who rolled 3+3 so is now blodging 6 4 3 9 at 17 SPPs. only level of the game, with just 10 SPPs total on my side, and 7 for my opponent.

my last opponent is Skaven, but from what i hear he wants to play his game against the High Elves before he faces my team, and the HE coach is out of town for a while...

Not sure what race i'll play with come the next season, i usually play Dark Elves and Lizards, but i'm kinda starting to like this team...

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

Orcs vs. Skaven

i was giving up 70k TV, so he splurged from his treasury for Glart and a babe (and Glart might have made the difference in the game in hindsight...)

he won the toss and elected to receive, and we both got a TRR from the KO event. GRs did their thing and a quick turn 3 score saw the rats up 1-0. A High Kick allowed Droobrez to get under the ball, and some quick blocks got rats on their backs and the Orks pushed forward on the left side of the center zone. i was able to get some KOs that snowballed on the rats, but droobrez was able to throw the ball to one of the +AG blitzers and they scored in turn 8 to tie it up before the half.

3 of the 4 KOd rats returned to the pitch, and a deep kick put pressure on the slow orc team. was able to get the ball with the thrower, and protect him with 2 blitzers, but Glart BH a Bob, and pushed forward with his GRs and linerats to separate the front line and the orcs in back, droobries threw the ball to the other +AG blitzer, who was able to run behind Ming and a Bob along with another lineork in a fairly protected place, but when the tackle blitzer skull TRR skull block freed up their thrower for a crazy GR leap 1die blitz pow, and the thrower ran up, grabbed the ball in a TZ, dodged away, and threw the ball across the field to a GR who scored, 2-1 rats.

another deep kick set to give the orcs a similar problem, but i was able to get the ball to the same blitzer that scored in the first half and break free down the right sideline and even the score at 2 in turn 14, but Glart BH another Bob and KOd a third, and so i was setting up down 10-11 players, and i set up too defensively and allowed the GRs the sidelines free. he pushed the ball down the field, and was 2 squares from the endline at the start of my turn 15. i was able to get a 3 die blitz with a +AG blitzer (required 5 gfi total) and powed the GR, but like all game i couldn't break armor, and a dodge and rats are up 3-2. droobrez was able to complete a 4th pass in turn 16, and Ming got a CAS with his blitz, but i came nowhere near evening the score, and my opponent ended his turn without unleashing Glart or his RO blocks on me (he felt bad about how i got diced, i had another series of blocks that was skull/skull TRR to skull both down and the next block was skull/skull, another linorc block was both down/both down TRR to skull/skull and my opponent with 1 TRR didn't fail a roll all game, including a -3db that was pow stumbles stumbles).

4 completions leveled thrower, both +AG blitzers got a level (one for 2 tds the other for MVP). thrower got +MV, both blitzers got normal rolls and took guard. team is up around 1520 TV now, and i'm starting to get the hang of playing them, i just hate how reliant they are on removals in order to succeed...

apparently, if i'd have won this game, i'd have been in the semifinals, so all in all i'm glad i lost and the Skaven coach who'd played the whole season made it. Talked with the commish and i'm starting to look forward to the upcoming season. i'll either keep playing this team, or i'll look at getting my lizardmen or Delfs painted up for the next season...

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

Nice team concept, shame you didnt make it to play offs! Without taking players out of the pitch, it can be an uphill battle against skaven.

Will they continue next season? Are you using the redrafting rules?

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

Thanks! like i said, i'd have felt bad making the playoffs after 4 games when the skaven coach played all 12, but it would have been a nice ego boost. lol.

yes, they are using redrafting rules, and i'm not sure if i'll stick with them or not. i'm starting to enjoy playing them, and the other orc coach is leaving due to his work schedule. my son's joining with Khemri and my nephew with pro elves, so it will probably depend on if i can get my lizards or Delfs painted in addition to those two teams...

with the thrower getting +MV, and having the 3 stat bump blitzers, its hard to move away from these guys. i think they'll be nasty after another season of development...

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

well, started the redrafting process and i'd have a bunch of cuts to make in order to field a team. basically only playing in 4 games last season doesn't provide me with enough cash to buy everyone back, so right now i'm in limbo with them. because there are 2 other ork teams joining the league, i decided to start a new human team to play during the friendly season and i'll determine if i keep the Orks or continue with the humans when the season starts (i really hate mirror matches, and since no one plays humans i'm leaning towards them).

Tempest Bay Bucs is the team.

first game for humans was against rookie Chaos. (i went Ogre, 4 blitzers, thrower, 5 line; Chaos 4 blockers 7 beastmen). This game was an absolute bruiser, as the humans started out on fire and removed warriors and beasts from the pitch, with the Thrower scoring midway through the first half. Chaos was able to tie it up when the thrower bothdowned a block, and i didn't reroll it and the thrower died while the beast got - ST. i was able to pull out the 2-1 win when a blitzer was able to secure the ball and separate from the pack and score in T16. dead thrower, 2 MNG blitzers for the Humans, while the Chaos team just had KOs and the 1 -ST beastmen (my son's Khemri played this Chaos team right after i did, and they are now with 2 - ST beasts with a loaner beastman killed in a 3-0 romp by the Khemri... wish i could have watched more of that game, but instead i was playing against some Dark Elves.

Delfs had 2 witches, 4 blitzers, 1 runner, and some linemen, but no rerolls which really helped me early, but this was one of those games where i just couldn't break armor. 3 Journeyman filled in, and i beat down the Delfs but no removals, and a quick 1-0 lead for the humans quickly turned into a 2-1 deficit by the 10th turn as nuffle's favor shifted and double skull rerolled into double skull happened 3 times in 5 turns. Here my 2 blitzers put together some crazy dodge blitzing to get into scoring range, and a key blitz by the Ogre sealed the delfs off from my blitzer who was able to tie the game at 2 in T16. These are 'friendlies', so no MVPs, and half money means i'm on the long slow road to getting my thrower back. 2 blitzers were able to level based off the TDs and CAS they got in the 2 games, normal roll took tackle, while the other rolled +AG. i bought an APO after the first game, and i think i have 50,000 in the bank towards replacing my thrower.

My son and i are heading to a tournament tomorrow (our first NAF tourney, pretty excited about it), but we're hoping over the next week or two to get down to the local store and get a couple more games in.

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

The Saints are officially retired. the only way i could buy back 11 players was if i went with 0 RR and no APO. i'd have had to cut either the +M thrower and +S Blitzer, or both +AG blitzers in order to have APO and rerolls. So, they have been retired for now and perhaps later i'll continue playing them elsewhere.

So, i'll have to start a new blog for the new team. :)