Grind

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

brettness37
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Grind

Post by brettness37 »

Played my first game last night, I'm sure we massacred the rules, but it was a good time!

Reason: ''
Wormy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Wormy »

Grind is a great game. Bought it the day it came out and have had a few games - lots of fun coming up with weapon combos for the jacks.

Watch your fingers when snapping the jacks together - I had no feeling in my thumb for about a week after.

It is NOT a substitue for BB as it plays in a different way. It's just a good addition to the growing selection of fantasy football board games.

Most sporting Thrudball 2008 & Trollbowl 2008.
Best painted Tritex Challenge 2008 & 2009.
Thrudball 2009 & 2010 bushtucker trial survivor.
IronManj 2010 wooden spoon
Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

league rules for grind coming soon :
http://privateerpress.com/company/do-yo ... or-the-xgl

IONDragonX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IONDragonX »

http://privateerpress.com/hit-the-grid-with-the-xgl

Grind just came out with league rules. (one-off tourneys?) It allows some team development over the course of up to 17 games. (IDK what the minimum is, 8 I guess)
It doesn't look like it was designed to be a perpetual league because repairs can ALWAYS fix your Steamjacks (meaning no player turnover) and there is no inducement system at all. Repairs do cost your team, tho so I suppose that is the spiraling expenses cost. Your Steamjacks can lose upgrades if they switch equipment, so you can reduce your own value that way.
Overall, it seems to have some potential.

Weav
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Weav »

I haven't played yet, but I am attenting a demo on 3/21/2010 in Portland, Oregon USA at Knightfall Games. I'm planning on buying it that day.

DDogwood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DDogwood »

I just picked this up. The 'jacks were a pain to put together, but they are nice minis. Any idea how well they'll take paint?

Disappointed that this isn't shaping up to be the new Blood Bowl (I've been tired of GW's shenanigans for years) but it looks like it'll be a fun pick-up game every now and again. Maybe I'll even get a chance to play in a league some day.

browwnrob
Legend
Legend

Post by browwnrob »

You should try ElfBall DDogwood ;)

http://www.bbminis.blogspot.com
My Fantasy Football blog with painted minis!

I am selling off full teams that are unpainted as yet but would prefer to sell them painted, I have lots of teams, PM me if you are interested
Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

DDogwood wrote:Disappointed that this isn't shaping up to be the new Blood Bowl
Same here, the league rules are quite thin and the game mechanics are far from rivaling BB's subtlety.
Overall, Grind still lacks some flavour.
browwnrob wrote:You should try ElfBall DDogwood ;)
off topic I know but as much as I like Elfball and wish it to grow and prosper, right now it misses a professionnal touch : artwork and fluff arent up to BB standards.
I had hopes for Grind in that matter but it was a let-down, its a fun game but nothing more.

browwnrob
Legend
Legend

Post by browwnrob »

Khar-peth wrote:
browwnrob wrote:You should try ElfBall DDogwood ;)
off topic I know but as much as I like Elfball and wish it to grow and prosper, right now it misses a professionnal touch : artwork and fluff arent up to BB standards.
I do have to agree with this, Id love to see more fluff in the game

http://www.bbminis.blogspot.com
My Fantasy Football blog with painted minis!

I am selling off full teams that are unpainted as yet but would prefer to sell them painted, I have lots of teams, PM me if you are interested
Grandma Wendy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Grandma Wendy »

Anyone who plays this game must pay me £5 each time. If you use my minis then it's only £4.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Lol, thats great

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!