Grind questions

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Weav
Veteran
Veteran

Grind questions

Post by Weav »

I played my first game today, and it was really enjoyable. I can see once I get the rules down, that this could be a really interesting game. Having said that...

1) the grinder, steamjacks and the columns count as obstructions. When throwing the grinder, it says you have to have line-of-sight to your target square, but to ignore obstructions. I read this to mean that line-of-site is basically ignored for throws...agree?

2) When attempting a grinder stop, do you get one chance per steamjack, or one chance per square of reach on opposing steamjacks?

Reason: ''
Fabian
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Grind questions

Post by Fabian »

1.) Think ur right

2.) U have one chance for each steamjack not for each square.

Hope helps. Greetz

http://www.b7-tournament.de
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hi,
can someone tell me how big the bases are for the minis that come in the box? Thinking about a purchase.

Cheers,
Mike

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

I think they're 50mm, but I could be wrong.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

thanks matt. won any elfball games recently?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

Yeah, after two games I have a 100% record against somebody................ :wink: :lol:

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Played it today against my brother, and enjoyed it. Rules not very well set out at all, and have quite a few clarifications that I'm going to search on the PP website for, but my thoughts:
- plays very quickly, and our score was 3-2 in a game that lasted an hour and a half, and that was from scratch. Once you know the rules it should zoom through. His criticism is not enough scoring in EB (though I've only had a couple of draws in my last dozen games).
- no players ever leave the pitch. this is a very interesting and major difference from EB and FF. If jacks are knocked down they can always just stand up again, though they can only move or fight on their next turn, not both.
- the figs do not just click together! The arms are nicely done (though I am still going to magnetise them once they are painted) but the legs were a nightmare.
- the rules could have done with an FF style "these are the basic rules, now go play", as the stuff on power plays and special plays are not needed, and we left them out to start with.
- the blue team should fit nicely onto smaller bases - my alterior motive being to use them as contraptions with a gnome team.
- the heads are very small. Look a bit funny to me!

Fun to learn a new game, and plays nicely out of the box - no need to put much of a team together, so will probably just pick it up occasionally to play. Not as much buy-in as the other games, I don't think, and no player development.

Cheers,
Mike

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
clig76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clig76 »

So the jacks never can be put out of commission? That makes sense gameplay/balance wise but I do love me some violence. The game does look really cool regardless.

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

I really like this game for one offs, there are free downloadable league rules and 4 way rules and downloadable "pitch".

However, If I want league play I prefer Elfball or Bloodbowl. The league rules seem a bit tacked on, not to bad, but no permenant injuries and you would have to buy another box to have extra bits/jacks that you can buy as your "team" progresses.

I do love the mechanics of the game though. You only have so many dice to use each turn and therefore there is resource management and as your half progresses you get more "power dice" that allow you to pull off bigger plays. No turnovers, no loss of players, but different arms for different skills, special plays that can be called, and two different "positionals". My favorite part of this game is the frantic plays you can pull of with enough power dice. Also a very short "pitch" that allows you to move the grinder, ball, from one side to the other quickly (one turn). Also you can use the grinder as a weapon, slam jacks into walls and pillars, body slam..etc, sounds violent but the worse you can do is down or scramble another jack, limiting his options next turn to more or attack and possibly no use of power/bonus die.

This game is somewhere between elfball (multiple dice and successes, one scoring location, goal) and blood bowl move whole team.