Blood Bowl Team Manager - The Card Game

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Blood Bowl Team Manager - The Card Game

Post by Darkson »

How do the new teams work against the original ones? Noticed that the new teams get a lot of extra rules and abilities (choice for DE, skills when prone for the dead ones), are they still balanced?

One of my club mates has got a copy, but we won't get a chance to play it until next week.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Darkson wrote:How do the new teams work against the original ones? Noticed that the new teams get a lot of extra rules and abilities (choice for DE, skills when prone for the dead ones), are they still balanced?

One of my club mates has got a copy, but we won't get a chance to play it until next week.
I've played a few games against dark elves, and one each as vampires and undead.
The downed skills certainly add a new level to the game... sometimes you'd rather not tackle a player because they can then hit you back, or take the ball... and of course the regen possibility is there too (though my regen rolls were rubbish).
Some of the DEs have downed skills, and choices, but they seem to lack the number of "normal" skills that other teams have, so I think it levels out that way (i.e. wood elves have several players with 2 or 3 skills, whereas I think DEs have at most 2 on regular players).

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

You'll have to give me a game Sandwich. I'd love to see how the new teams play.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

played the Dark Elves versus my son (who was playing Undead), the either/or skills are a nice mechanic and really give flexibility and the knocked down skills are also good. eg I had a turn with no ball carriers in my hand unless they got knocked down.... so kind of wanted to get hit by zombies a lot that turn.

liked it so far. but need more action to be sure.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Raising this from the depths - we played this again tonight, mixed in the expansion teams with the originals, and found one thing we'd been playing wrong since day 1, and a question was raised.

1. We'd been playing downed players wrong - hadn't realised that I downed player could be given the ball, it was only because a DE player had the Pass symbol when downed that it came up, and a check of the old FAQ seems to confirm it.

2. Enchanted Balls (oo-er). When using these to replace the normal balls, do they still count for the 2 Star Power in addition to whatever is written on the ball, or does the new stuff replace the 2 Stars? We played it the second way, seems to make more sense, but wanted to be sure.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I assumed that it was what was written...

Made the same mistake with 'downed' players, course they aren't down per say... You can both hold onto the ball with the right skill or receive it once you are down.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Just popped on to FFG to see if there was anupdated FAQ and what did I find....

Foul Play: http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/pro ... m?sku=GW08
Due July 17th!

The Blood Bowl season becomes more chaotic and hectic than ever in Foul Play, a low-down, cheating expansion for Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. In this expansion, you'll find three new teams from the Putrid Players' Guild, new Penalty cards for played that insist on cheating, and a corrupt ref to help you cheat more than ever! Enhance existing teams with additional Staff Upgrade cards and Team Upgrade Cards, and take the competition to new heights with never-before-seen Spike! Magazine Cards. Meanwhile, new mechanics like stadiums and a new skill – Fouling – provide a variety of new strategies. Whatever kind of skullduggery you want to use, the Foul Play expansion will give you the tools you need.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Groovy :)

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Awesome! Here's the BGG page
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game – Foul Play, an expansion for Blood Bowl: Team Manager, introduces the Putrid Players' Guild to the game, with the PPG consisting of three new teams: Nurgle's Rotters, The Lowdown Rats, and The Zharr-Naggrund Ziggurats.

Foul Play also introduces penalties to the game, with players receiving them in various ways, such as by drawing one of the new cheating tokens with the penalty icon or by losing the new Goblin Tribal Leeg tournament.

Finally, Foul Play introduces stadiums, which are constant throughout a season, offer additional payouts to teams, and come with strict rules about who can play in them. A stadium might ban a certain skill, for example, limit the number of players a manager can use, or impose upper or lower limits to Star Power requirements.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Just started playing with the basic set, and have to say it is way more fun than I expected! Already ordered the Sudden Death expansion and Foul Play probably isn't far off.

A question on the Death Roller star player, can he use two of his tackles to injure a player?

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

faust_33 wrote:A question on the Death Roller star player, can he use two of his tackles to injure a player?
We've always played that you can.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

mzukerman wrote:
faust_33 wrote:A question on the Death Roller star player, can he use two of his tackles to injure a player?
We've always played that you can.
Thanks!

I've found a few rules our group needs to retrain ourselves on. We were shuffling the deck every time we drew a freebooter and added them the team deck, so new Star Players were getting buried if they were drawn before a freebooter. We also haven't been revealing the Star Players as we draw them, but I kind of like that as it adds an element of surprise. The other thing we have been doing is drawing one more highlight card than the number of players, but leaving it out there. This has worked out kind of nicely, as it gives a losing Coach a chance at getting a highlight that no one else is interested in.

All in all, such a fun game and I like how quickly it plays. Plus you can play up to 4-5 people, instead of just two in the tabletop game (yea, I know, there is Deathbowl).