Blood Bowl Team Manager - The Card Game

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

tiamo69
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Blood Bowl Team Manager - The Card Game

Post by tiamo69 »

Got my copy week ago Wednesday in burton.

Hats off / kudos to FFG Developers, game plays really well & does actually capture the feel of a mini blood bowl season.

As promised, everything u need to play the game is in the box, no need to worry about having to buy endless boosters...

Christened game with a 3 player match last night, all reasonably experienced BB players but relative card game novices & the game flowed really well, with everyone picking up the concept & gameplay straight away...

Definitely recommend BBTM!

Wouldn't be too surprised to see at least one booster/expansion pack with another 6 races at some point...

Reason: ''
Possibly improving but, my dice rolls aren't! :O)
NAF 13759

2011 Rocket Bowl III: Most Casualties (22) & Most Sent Off (8)
2012 Rocket Bowl IV: Most Casualties (26) & Most Sent Off (9)
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Blood Bowl Team Manager

Our copies of the game is now in stock.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Just seen it while walking past my local gaming store (was closed at the time). £22.99 . Me thinks I'll be picking up even if just to own :)

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I would be very curious to know how many units they ship.

Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

Picked mine up on Tuesday. Can't stop playing it. It's not Blood Bowl, of course, but there's enough going on to keep me interested, and the styles of play emphasized with each team reflect their respective styles from BB. Looking forward to an expansion pack already.

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Observations after 10 or so games (one of which was 2 player, the others all 4 player): Wood Elves are challenging to win with... very challenging. Skaven are extremely hard to beat if they get the Team upgrade that gives them 2 Fans for each loss into play early.

Otherwise, the races seem well balanced and the play is smooth. We also can't stop playing. If I had to choose something to bitch about, it would be the rather large disadvantage the player going first has when it comes to determining the matchup winners. Going first sucks. Being the only person to go first twice because it's a 5 round game sucks worse. We're considering house ruling that the first player during the Blood Bowl round is either randomized or automatically the player with the highest number of Fans.

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Eski
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Eski »

Would had thought going first gives you the advantage of picking the matchup you want first hand.. while the last player is rather limited in chose

http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk
Look Up Bristol Vanguards Gert Bowl Tournment near end of July 2012
"MB and Piling On! Rerolls need not apply!"
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

I would take going last every time if I could. Going last lets you win matchups because you get the last say on who's standing or where the ball is. You can always commit to tournaments, and you'll still get in on one of your top two matchups most likely.

Winning sub-par matchups is also usually better than losing your ideal matchup.

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

Going first or last has both advantages and disadvantages, which can weight differently based on what tournament (if any) and highlights are on display, and where your team is in the game (power and fan wise)...

it's well designed

Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Love the game play of this game, have only had them in for a week (as Esdevium delayed my order) and seem to have taken all thier remaining stock :P They have sold well though and I are a great Christmas pressie for yourself :D

I had a fear it was going to be a typical CCg with lots of boosters when I first heard of t but I have to say I am quite impressed with the way they have pulled it together and whats more you get some quality tokens you could use for Blood Bowl too.

The only thing I would have liked is if the cards had been standard playing card size as would have been easier to buy sleeves to protect them but you can still buy sleeves just have to get special sized ones instead.

Overall though thumbs up...good job :)

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
pixelgeek
Father of TTGN

Post by pixelgeek »

FFG sell card sleeves specifically designed to fit the cards. On the box it tells you what size the cards are and your local store can order sleeves from FFG.

pixelgeek
Father of TTGN

Post by pixelgeek »

Khail wrote:I would take going last every time if I could.
Going first lets you choose the matchups you want and that means that you can pick which sideline awards you get for participating.

Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

pixelgeek wrote:FFG sell card sleeves specifically designed to fit the cards. On the box it tells you what size the cards are and your local store can order sleeves from FFG.
Yeah I know where I can get them, I have a mate at 'Magic Geek' that trades in them just I have a load of normal sleeves and means I need to go out and buy more ..lol

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
Evilstein
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Evilstein »

Daht wrote:Going first or last has both advantages and disadvantages, which can weight differently based on what tournament (if any) and highlights are on display, and where your team is in the game (power and fan wise)...

it's well designed

Because I'm a Blood Bowl Fan, I bought it. And the game is pleasant. They make some changement about the fluff, Ungor Thrower for Chaos, but it's fine. The illustrations are and the text are good.

But going last can give you a huge avantage, specialy in tournament and the Last Blood Bowl week.

Here is an house rules for balancing the "first" play disaventage, specialy in 4 players 5 round game ; and to give a disaventage for the Player who lead the game.

After each manager has gone first in a given week, in remaining weeks the "Last Player" was assigned to the manager with the lowest "Team Value".

Team Value (TV) = Fans + Team Upgrades + Staff Upgrades

So, for a 3-player game, Weeks 4-5 would assign Last Player to the manager with the lowest TV, and for a 4-player game, Week 5 would assign Last Player to the manager with the lowest TV score.

This works with an extended six-week season also for a 4-player game, assigning Last Player in Weeks 5 & 6. Only for a 3-player game, this variant wouldn't be needed, since everyone has the opportunity to go first (and last) twice during the game.

Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

It's happened twice now that the manager going last in a three-manager game has been shut out of a highlight entirely, being severely limited as to the gains that round, especially considering that this was a game that wasn't chosen by the other two managers. I think that's a severe enough risk to cancel out the pain of going first, and the advantage otherwise gained by having the last word.

The Wood Elves aren't so bad. The key, I think, is to get some decent star players, and then sprinting them onto the pitch every week. I find the dwarves the most difficult to use effectively.