Kill Ball

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Kill Ball

Post by mrinprophet »

I figured I'd start a thread here to host some of the playtest and concept feedback. Here's more information I found about game mechanics. Game can be purchased at: http://www.impactminiatures.net/index.p ... n=killball

Background
Kill Ball is a 2 player futuresport board game that takes place in grungy arenas across a series of small American towns and Argentina. Each player controls a team of 4 vat-grown clones whose existence has 2 purposes; get the Kill Ball into the other team’s goal and maim/kill as many opposing clones as possible.

Death is not the end in Kill Ball though. Killed clones are regrown onsite and shot back into the arena at extremely high speeds with only marginally reduced abilities. And if a clone of yours should be killed several times in a row, you can just grow a new one from scratch between games.

The goal receptors in a Kill Ball arena are substandard crap. They cannot, for instance, tell the difference between the Kill Ball and a severed head. Consequently, you can score with severed heads.

In fact, the decapitated clone can be regrown, pick up their old head, and score with it. Or use it to bludgeon the player who decapitated them. Be Creative.

Mechanics
Most of the game is percentile based. For example, to hit the opponent requires a roll under the player's hit skill. To score a goal requires a check versus half the player's throw skill.

Each player does two things in a turn. Move, and an action (Sprint for extra move, hit something, dodge (try to dodge someone else's attempt to hit them), Guard (auto attempt to hit an opponent who comes next to them), Help Up (pick up a downed teammate) and Get Up (stand up yourself). There are also actions you can take regarding the ball: Attempting to score, attempting intercept a pass/goal throw/scoring attempt/ball attack, throw a pass to a teammate, or at You can do it in either order (Move then action or action then move), but you CANNOT mix the two.. for example, you cannot partially move, hit an opponent,

Player knocked down roll a d10, and the lower the roll, the worse off they are.

There are three levels of injury, Knocked Down, Seriously Injured, and Catastrophic Injury. Basically, Knocked Down is no affect (although of course, it leaves the player open to further injury), Seriously Injured is knocked down, with stat decreases for the rest of the game, and Catastrophic Injuries remove the player from the field for two turns (considering a game is 12 turns, that can be more than long enough), and cause PERMANENT stat loss.

For example, on a base hit, only a 1 will cause a Catastrophic Injury If you attack a fallen opponent (a -3 modifier), all of a sudden, a 1-4 causes the catastrophic injury. Teams in the game as in the book have four players only, so if players are taken off the field with catastrophic injuries, the other team suddenly has a powerplay.

Oh, and the Hyper Blade part? One of the injuries that a player can suffer is decapitation, and if it happens, the unfortunate player's head becomes a second ball. They even have a mock rule that states if a player gets decapitated, and then after being "healed" scores a goal with his own head, they automatically become The Man, even if they are female.

You can replace one player after each game, and players can grow in skills. (Things like additional rerolls of injuries, more powerful hits, etcetera)

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
What is your excuse for not trying Elfball? - http://www.elfball.org
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Kill Ball

Post by inkpwn »

Now I just want this game even more!

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

the guy was showing the game at eurobowl or it is another game???

the one at eurobowl was called killpowerball and has got a web page: http://www.killpowerball.com

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

txapo wrote:the guy was showing the game at eurobowl or it is another game???
That is a different game.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

very similar concept and very similar names then!!

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

Where/how is this game available?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Link in Galak's signature.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

maybe we should find out more about this killpowerball. looks cool. i can't read the site, sorry to say...

Rick Sanchez lives!
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I'm very interested at the moment. Is someone here (or at the Imp!-fora) actually playing this ?

It's a toss up to order "just" the board game, the boardgame with the 2 teams (although I have enough minis who can probably stand in), or the new Timberline elves.

I would like to know how "fast" the game is. How long for 1 game (so, can you do 2 games a night for instance), can you carry over the team/do they gain stats and weaknesses (looks like it though), is it more or less balanced (i.e. is it easy to get a "slaughter" team so you win everytime (=not what I want)), stuff like that.

Can anyone enlighten me ? :)

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mrinprophet »

Juergen just posted a review of the game on the Impact! forum after a playtest. He may be able to answer more specific questions but it was a positive review.

What is your excuse for not trying Elfball? - http://www.elfball.org
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

JaM wrote:I'm very interested at the moment. Is someone here (or at the Imp!-fora) actually playing this ?

It's a toss up to order "just" the board game, the boardgame with the 2 teams (although I have enough minis who can probably stand in), or the new Timberline elves.

I would like to know how "fast" the game is. How long for 1 game (so, can you do 2 games a night for instance), can you carry over the team/do they gain stats and weaknesses (looks like it though), is it more or less balanced (i.e. is it easy to get a "slaughter" team so you win everytime (=not what I want)), stuff like that.

Can anyone enlighten me ? :)
My theoretically playtest review (not played, just read rules) is on the other thread, guess it should be in this, though

About fast: i think it is. game has 12 turns. 1 turn = each of the 8 players (4per team) make a move/action. Blood bowl we have 16 turns up to 11 players per team

Carry over: yes they do get few xp and can spend them on perks(skills) and stats (e.g. +10 hit), injuries are game duration injuries (-10 hit,..) and permanent.

balanced: guess so, all have the same baseline stats, with perks/skills you can build your team (you only "level up" twice max IIRC).

Teamcreation: you get 1 captain, 1 leader (one of them starts with 2, the other with 3xp IIRC) and two regular players, roll 8 skills/perks randomly. choose 3 for the caption, 2 for the leader (or other way around), 1 for each of the other 2, drop the last).

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Thanks, guess I should pick it up then.
And I'll see what I can find on the Impact! forum, too. I should search better I suppose...

JaM

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

JaM wrote: I should search better I suppose...

JaM
Adding a search engine to our store is on our New Year's Resolution list.

Tom

clig76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clig76 »

Broke down and ordered Kill Ball off the travesty games site. If I love the game Ill get the figures too. If it plays as good as it sounds Im pretty sure I will have a blast.

I've had my eye on Killpower Ball for aa while. I took a peak at an english slideshow of the rules and example of play. Man that looks sweet. They have limb specific damage, armor, ranged and close combat and bonus powers and abilites. I hope this gets an english release on day.

Curt