New "bowl" box by years end AKA Dreadball

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Re: New "bowl" box by years end

Post by bound for glory »

the figures don't look bad. kinda dig the sci fi'ness of it.

Reason: ''
Rick Sanchez lives!
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

New "bowl" box by years end

Post by Shteve0 »

More shots of figures. Female ref is pretty cool:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/mantic-games ... -update-2/

Gameboard and some outline art:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/mantic-games ... dreadball/

Apparently this was (is?) due to go up on kickstarter this week. Could be what the countdown is to. Box contains human and orc teams, and the ref by the looks of things, and there will be "expansion" Dwarf and Skaven (Forgefather and Veer-myn) teams.

Miniatures are one piece or snap-together plastics. Seems that there's a suggestion the box will be a limited release.
Posted this yesterday in the (now rather quaintly locked) Dreadball discussion thread. May be of interest.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

From various forums, source unknown.
GenCon - Mantic Games Dreadball
Mantic Games announced Dreadball, a futuristic Sport game.

Kickstarter campiagn will go live in 10 days.
Base game set includes Orcs and Humans.
Forgefathers and Veer-Myn as Booster Teams.

3 kinds of players (strong brawlers, field player, fast players).
Veer-Myn won't have brawlers.
Forgefathers won't have fast players.

No reset of teams after score.

4 stats for players, streamlined for fast play.

Miniatures one piece or snap-fit, plastic, individual poses.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
cudasquarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cudasquarius »

The miniatures will be their sprueless plastic not aero finecast :D the MVP's may be in this or metal. The initial release is for 4 teams the boxed game and is due for release in November. We should have Mantic demoing this at Bunkerbowl in October more news soon.

I actually have a miniature and I am very impressed with the detail on it.

One day I may convert you Rodders :lol: the game is not space Bloodbowl and I hope will surpise you try it you may like it..

Kypt
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kypt »

Miniatures look pretty neat, the only issue I see is that I doubt it will take off and replace blood bowl in my area due to strong attachment everyone has to each and every one of their teams.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Some info about number of players, basic rule concepts and such at Dakka (that and next pages).

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Definite potential of the models though, They look interesting enough for me to buy them just for the painting. :)

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Mega anticlimax. Just went on the website and the counter is still going. It's passed the deadline though, so it's now going the other way...

Epic fail is epic. Why have a countdown clock if you don't have an automated go live process?

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Shteve0 wrote:Mega anticlimax. Just went on the website and the counter is still going. It's passed the deadline though, so it's now going the other way...

Epic fail is epic. Why have a countdown clock if you don't have an automated go live process?
I saw the same in the NASA web countdown (or maybe countbounce?) for Mars landing days ago. ;)

cudasquarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cudasquarius »

Countdown finishes at 1pm UK time which will see the full info on he game and also a Kickstarter so no Epic Fail that is reserved for my go for it rolls....

From the Manticblog

Dreadball is a quick, simple, two-player board game set in our Warpath universe where coaches try to outscore their opponent and win at all costs! The game comes complete with a fantastically detailed full-colour pitch, two complete teams, a roster pad to keep a record of your team’s development ( yes – league play is included) plus counters, event cards, and dice – all packed in a beautiful high-quality box. With the help of the community, via Kickstarter, we hope to be able to include the referee, alternative sculpts and more players in the basic box, and get on with funding more “Most Valuable Players” (MVPs) and extra teams.

The game sets two teams against each other – but as you would expect from Mantic, these are not just any old teams!

There are the Corporation teams, the best of the best selected from the millions of enlisted men, and the human team offers balance and all round play. The most renowned of all are the Trontek 29ers!

No self- respecting orx would miss an opportunity for a fight – and they don’t care if it is on a battlefield or a slick modern sports arena – as long as there is violence they want in! This love of a good fight has spawned hundreds of teams of Greenskins across the various leagues and the Greenmoon Smackers are by far the most famous!

We have two more teams ready for launch – the Forge Fathers and Veer-myn – both with their own guile and tricks to allow them to compete and win. And with all the teams getting a selection of MVPs to pick from we believe Dreadball promises to be a big hit.

Finally, I obviously want us to launch DreadBall with as much momentum as we can, and as you all know we were blown away by the fantastic support we received for KoW via Kickstarter and generally in the community. I have outlined how the Kickstarter will help us improve the basic game, but Jake and James have so much more planned – in ‘Dreadball- Season 2′ Jake has further ideas to develop tournament play, he wants to include rules for coaches, cheerleaders, some MVP greats, even four more teams, including an all-female team – all of which we desperately want to get sculpted! He even has thoughts about “Xtreme” and “Ultimate” versions of the game (with something about multi-hex robots…).

Once more we are coming to our fans and supporters to help us get the game we know this can be. I realise many of your credit cards are still running hot from the KoW campaign, but even if you are not in a position to pledge we really hope you will join us on the site and spread the word – it promises to be a very fun journey. Those of you who can back us, we thank you, and as we keep knocking over the stretch goals you will get more great players, rules and sculpts – helping us deliver the game we want to launch.

Pop on over to the site – www.dreadball.com - and join us for the countdown. As a special thank you for our long- time supporters who back us in the early stages there are a limited number of early bird specials too.

OK, just over 3 hours to kick off, enjoy the game…

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Eh? So their countdown clock is set to 1pm on the viewing computer, not the host server. Pretty basic oversight. The counter went down to 1pm New Zealand time for me (seven and a half hours ago), and has since been counting upwards.

So, not an epic fail, but a fail nonetheless.

Still. Unfortunately my enthusiasm is sapping the more I hear. The four teams in the starter box have failed to materialise. The leaked team price list appears to be a trick, since it's launching through kickstarter. The "exciting" expansion ideas leave me cold - my interest level has gone from "must buy" to "will take a look for conversion potential".

It seems so far that mantic have led a fairly misleading viral campaign here. A great shame, as this is precisely the sort of thing I'd normally get behind.

I'll take a look tomorrow, then. Here's hoping I'm wide of the mark.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

For once I actually wish Mantic had ripped off GW more closely as those models look pretty nice.

The humans are too sci-fi to work as Bloodbowl models really, you could maybe cut the limbs off and stick them to a fantasy torso but that is a lot of effort. The Orcs are much closer and do have potential and I like the idea of armoured goblins. Hopefully the space skaven and squat models will be more like the orcs than the humans.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
cudasquarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cudasquarius »

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I think the dwarves could have promise for BB. Look a bit like Ram-man from the He-man cartoon.

http://he-man.wikia.com/wiki/Ram_Man

Shame there is no straight "game" level on kickstarter! Don't have any use for a signed print!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Oooh, that is interesting and some good detailed pics as well. The skaven and dwarfs look to be of a similar style to the Orcs armour wise so I’ll be interested to see a full team pic of them. They are half way to the target already as well so looks like this will go ahead.

I really do like the orcs and goblin models so may consider getting them, it’s a shame that the there are only 3 different model types in each team as the Orcs have potential as Black Orcs.

£50 is quite pricey for the basic game but does include free postage and a print so not too terrible.

Hopefully this will be a big success and maybe give GW a shove so they bring out some new plastic models.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.