New "bowl" box by years end AKA Dreadball

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: New "bowl" box by years end AKA Dreadball

Post by daloonieshaman »

Please!
Make the numbers decal sheets for sale. Some of us like the number in more than one location

Reason: ''
2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

I didn't see anything on the kickstarter page or in this thread about league play (however I only skimmed)

Has there been anything released in regards to how/if teams will progress (like in Blood Bowl) or how team management works?

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

@daloonieshaman - they are! Check out the bottom of the Kickstarter page - you get one free in all reward levels from Guard upwards, and further sheets are $2 each :).

@dsavillian - League play is a big part of the game, and there is plenty of information about it in the rulebook. To summarise, you start a league with a basic team as listed in the rulebook. As you play each match, your team will earn money, and your players will gain experience, of course depending on how well they do.

This money can be put towards various things, including extra players, extra cards, extra coaching dice, and hiring MVPs to play for your team. Should you be the underdog at any point in the league, the DreadBall Governing Body (DGB) will also give you a grant to put towards hiring Free Agents (randomly selected players from any team) who can help you gain the advantage in your next game. This gives you another use for the extra players from other teams that you'll get with your pledges!

With regard to player experience, after players earn certain amounts they will increase in level. Each level will allow them to roll on a table and generate either a stat increase or a new skill. Each of the three player types has its own table, and there is a fourth one that you can spend a coaching dice to use, which unlocks more advanced skills.

How does that sound? Let me know if you need anything else :)

Please visit the DreadBall Kickstarter!
dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

Stew wrote:@daloonieshaman - they are! Check out the bottom of the Kickstarter page - you get one free in all reward levels from Guard upwards, and further sheets are $2 each :).

@dsavillian - League play is a big part of the game, and there is plenty of information about it in the rulebook. To summarise, you start a league with a basic team as listed in the rulebook. As you play each match, your team will earn money, and your players will gain experience, of course depending on how well they do.

This money can be put towards various things, including extra players, extra cards, extra coaching dice, and hiring MVPs to play for your team. Should you be the underdog at any point in the league, the DreadBall Governing Body (DGB) will also give you a grant to put towards hiring Free Agents (randomly selected players from any team) who can help you gain the advantage in your next game. This gives you another use for the extra players from other teams that you'll get with your pledges!

With regard to player experience, after players earn certain amounts they will increase in level. Each level will allow them to roll on a table and generate either a stat increase or a new skill. Each of the three player types has its own table, and there is a fourth one that you can spend a coaching dice to use, which unlocks more advanced skills.

How does that sound? Let me know if you need anything else :)

That pretty much sums up what I wanted to know!

While this isn't important to me getting into the game or not, how many player skills are there? I'm just wondering how deep the game goes when it comes to player and team building

Coach of the Fancy Lads
@dsavillian on twitter

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

dsavillian wrote:That pretty much sums up what I wanted to know!

While this isn't important to me getting into the game or not, how many player skills are there? I'm just wondering how deep the game goes when it comes to player and team building
Ah, sounds like you're not signed up to the Mantic newsletter - you should be!

This is what came in today's - http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c3545 ... dium=email

Check out the contents section for a look at what's in the full book. Enjoy!

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

Stew wrote:
dsavillian wrote:That pretty much sums up what I wanted to know!

Ah, sounds like you're not signed up to the Mantic newsletter - you should be!

This is what came in today's - http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c3545 ... dium=email

Check out the contents section for a look at what's in the full book. Enjoy!

It was a busy week for me and I only really started reading about it yesterday and today :)

Sounds like a bunch of our Blood Bowl league members are going to get a league set through one of the local stores

Coach of the Fancy Lads
@dsavillian on twitter

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

http://youtu.be/b9KboIh6lBE

Just watched the gameplay video and I have to say one thing.. "Urgh... dice" from the 2minute 40 mark it shows a basic 'block' type move... which ends up rolling nine d6 at a basic level and then with sixes making a reroll I think it ends up with eleven.. Eleven dice rolled for one block! Is it just me or does that seem insane? I think they said it works on successes so if it's a 3+ or 4+ it counts so it wipes out at least counting them but I immediately see nine dice being rolled and the next two minutes people working out either where the dice fell off the table, is that player a or b's dice or "Hang on, I only have three dice with me can I borrow yours?"....

One of the greatest things with Blood Bowl 3rd edition up was the simplification of the dice rolling mechanic and it made is really nice and straight forward for non board gamer types to pickup.

It stil looks really nice and I hope they do well, but unfortunately it's just not for me seeing all these dice being flung around now. I'm pretty much limited to picking up a board game with the missus these days and this will likely just end in confusion :P

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
GreyKnight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star
Location: Spreading the word of Nuffle in my robes, socks, and opened-toed sandals.

Post by GreyKnight »

I'm surprised to see so many negative posts towards this game. I can't wait for it, I feel my $150 Striker pledge is WELL WORTH the money.

I just love the retro Speedball feel to this game, and the awesome looking models are amazing and I have 100% faith in Mantic pulling these all off.

Keep it coming Mantic! Awesome sauce!

[color=gray][b]GreyKnight[/b][/color]
mrbrownesquire
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mrbrownesquire »

For those finding it hard to get their heads round this new game I humbly submit this hybrid!

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Awesome! It could be called "Dreadbowl" or "Bloodball". :D

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

We're talking Z'zor at the moment and we'd love to know what you think!

We've got concepts for the team:

and the MVP:

What do you think? Can you see yourself playing a team of these guys>

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

I like them, nice to see something new and different from the standard fantasy races.

I'm on the verge of Striker support, but still a little unsure about the dice rolling and all the adding and subtracting of dice. Can you convince me it is straight forward and not convoluted for each varying situation?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

WhatBall wrote:Can you convince me it is straight forward and not convoluted for each varying situation?
I've read the rules http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c3545 ... ules.1.pdf
and they look simple to me.
You just add or subtract dice (the basic number of dice is 3 usually, plus bonus dice for player types and coaching dice, if you decide to add them) according to the situation and type of player, roll again if you get a 6, count the successes to see if your player managed to perform his action or compare successes of both players to determine who wins.

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

WhatBall wrote:I like them, nice to see something new and different from the standard fantasy races.

I'm on the verge of Striker support, but still a little unsure about the dice rolling and all the adding and subtracting of dice. Can you convince me it is straight forward and not convoluted for each varying situation?
I can indeed.

All dice tests start with 3 dice.

Guards add a dice for anything involving violence :P (slamming an opponent, armour rolls, etc).

Strikers add a dice for anything involving speed or skill (dodging, throwing, catching, etc)

Players lose dice when attempting to make actions while in front of an opposing player.

With a couple of minor exceptions, that's pretty much it. I appreciate that it may sound a little complex at first, but I spent all of last weekend running demos of the game, and after a couple of turns people had picked it up completely. I playtested the game back in April, before the rulebook was even fully written - I haven't needed to refer to it since, it's that simple. It's all very intuitive and makes a lot of sense. That's why a full game takes around 45 minutes, and is a lot of fun.

Go on, pledge Striker - you won't regret it :).

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Thanks for the quick response Stew and Matt. Will check out the rule book.