Kaos Ball

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Kaos Ball

Post by Talarius »

tzoscey wrote:i dont like random cards as they introduce more luck than strategy. with dice you can always know but odd you have, if some player gets the good cards

its acward they dont put the game in a kickstarter xD
Some of my favorite boardgames have custom decks of action cards (Combat Commander, BattleLore, Manoeuvre and many others) and I have to disagree with the idea that they present more luck than strategy. The more you play such games and become familiar with your deck and your opponent's, the more strategy you can employ by cycling through your hand to the discard pile, building a strong hand for an alpha-strike or keeping track of where to focus your efforts based on what actions you know you or your opponent have used up.

Combat Commander (a WWII game), in particular, customizes each deck to the historical fighting style of each army. I can see how this game could do the same with each Khaosball team. An agile or bashy team would get more cards that play to their strengths and fewer to their weaknesses. It *could* wind up to be quite cool, actually. I'm going to assume this isn't MtG where getting mana-screwed equates to an automatic loss. That would be pointless.

The potential pitfalls I see are the lack of negatives in protracted league play and the size of the minis. if they are smaller than 28mm then they wouldn't be useful for BB. Otoh, Zombicide minis are pretty close to 28mm, so these might be as well. Hard to tell.

This will probably be on Kickstarter, so no worries. CoolMiniOrNot have a good thing going there, so I'd be shocked if they just sold these to retail first.

I expect this to be similar to Dreadball in that it's an alternate to BB, it might be fun, but it won't replace the King of sports games, imho.

(I don't own Elfball, so I'll either have to get one those last 50, or risk that you go back to print a new edition)

Reason: ''
chigger254
Experienced
Experienced

Post by chigger254 »

Borthcollective wrote:He continues, "I also cut many traditional negative sports experiences from Kaosball. No permanent injuries, no permanent deaths, no running out of money, no negative feedback loop of doing badly in a game and having to carry that into the next. Instead, teams all just get progressively better and get more upgrades from game to game, so everyone gets stronger, and your focus is on competitively navigating through which types of awesome power you want to take."
... That sounds incredibly boring... Depending on what that female team ends up looking like though, I might be interested in them as an Amazon team.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Brage97
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brage97 »

They have swords and weapons....

Challenge resisted.

Borthcollective
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Borthcollective »

I was excited until I saw some gameplay.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Shame there are so few poses. The female star... woof! Most of the others... meh. Sculpts and components look like nice quality though. Well done them.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
snakees
Veteran
Veteran

Kaos Ball by Coolminiornot

Post by snakees »

I found this project on coolminiornot website. Perhaps a great game in perspectiv :
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coo ... t/kaosball

if the game is not good, it could make a bunch of great miniature that we can pick up to complete ours BB teams. Unfortunatly, some of theme are too futurist to be inclued in warhammer world.

I hope CMoN will allow to buy single miniatures after project is ended.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Kaos Ball by Coolminiornot

Post by nonumber »

Could be an interesting game, sadly most of the miniatures seem to just miss the transferability to Blood Bowl in my opinion. Good werewolf figure though, and the prof that's with him would make a good apo. Some of them could be tweaked I'm sure but the majority wouldn't be much use for me.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Yay! I save some money...

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Kaos Ball by Coolminiornot

Post by spubbbba »

I think some of these model have potential, they are closer to the more modern aesthetic Gw went with for 2nd edition. Personally I prefer that to the sticking warriors on the pitch method they used in 3rd.

I can certainly see the 2 daemons being appropriate for Hubris and Roxanna with a little work. Other's just need weapon snips and shoulder pads like the amazons (the star player could be a blitzer) and the hawk men as norse minus the wings. I like the goblins and ogres too.

Only trouble is there is not enough variety so I think they'd have to stick to being stars or positionals (like the werewolf on necros) find other similar models to flesh out the rest of the team.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.