What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Norse
Da Organiza

What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

Post by Norse »

I'm looking to pick up something for the whole family to play (my kids are about to turn 8 ) to get my kids into TT gaming a bit more. A kind of find the treasure, rescue the damsel, slay the dragon kind of thing, but preferably with dice, a few minis, floor tiles etc..

I have fond memories of WHQuest from 20 years ago, but I've also heard good things about Talisman, HeroQuest and seen lots of other similar options..

just wondering what you guys would recommend? I'm looking for addictive, fun, fast paced, relatively simple...

Cheers!

R

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
blacknexion
Experienced
Experienced

Re: What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

Post by blacknexion »

I'd say Talisman. It's fun and simple. You can go complex later 8)

Coming soon - Underworld Blaggards, Black Monolith Carrions, New Gorgoth Crimson Gears & Naggaroth Nightwings
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I've never played it, but heard good things of Super Dungeon Explorer (which would also allow you to use the Impact Chibi figs).

I agree with Talisman. I'd probably leave Quest until you're happy they've got the basics of gaming as it can get a bit complicated.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

Talisman is an excellent board game that doesn't require too much attention span. If you want to have at go at it before investing, it has just been made into a computer game with a free demo: http://www.talisman-game.com/

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Perfect!

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Just one observation: Talisman is not a Dungeon Crawl game, it's a sort of game of the goose with a fantasy flavour with no dungeon exploring involved.
Hero Quest should be more suited, if you can find a copy, not very complex.
Warhammer Quest is the more complex of the three games so I wouldn't suggest it.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

fair point, but having tried it online I picked up a copy earlier today and my whole family loved it.. game took slightly longer than I expected, and that was with reducing the rules to a foot race to the tower, but overall great fun.. kids want to play again tomorrow... their path to geekdom is now begun.. :smoking:

blacknexion
Experienced
Experienced

Post by blacknexion »

Sweet! Get some expansions later, like Dungeon. High risk - High reward 8)

Coming soon - Underworld Blaggards, Black Monolith Carrions, New Gorgoth Crimson Gears & Naggaroth Nightwings
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

oh I plan to, but I'll make sure all the starting characters get at least one shot at the crown before I add more to the mix.. :wink:

Suffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suffer »

Could also give Munchkin Quest a try...

Suffer

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

well having played about 6 games of Talisman over a wet long-weekend it's safe to say we're hooked...

daddy has started to kitbash the characters from the game from his humoungus lead under the bed stash (because the ones that come with the game are not great)..

I'm also now looking to add Reaper, City and Dungeon expansions in the coming weeks...

dammit, another effing hobby I don't have time for! :lol:

Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

Keep posting Norse. It is fun to read. I may even get a copy to see if my wife will play. As a parent that just spent his first school year with both girls off to college it is enjoyable to hear your exploits and remember the days. Enjoy them they go too quick.

The Painted Goblin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The Painted Goblin »

Hi Norse

WHQ is a great dungeon crawler. I wouldn't say it is too complicated, but it's not the easiest to get hold of.
I made my own board sections using a colour printer, thick cardboard and some of that self-adhesive transparent sheet you used to cover your school books with.

The models can be made up from anything :-I use Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas and Gimli for the 4 main heroes 8)
The rules can be tough to get hold of, but if you drop me a PM I might be able to point you in the right direction

I've never played Talisman. Might give it a look!

This week, I will be mostly painting.....Dwarven Warriors (WHFB)

What the photon is PHOTON?
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Thx TPG - I already have a LOT of WHQ tiles and doors which I picked up years ago to play DB, so having a copy of the rules would be great as I can introduce it to my kids in a few years...

that said, one of the things I never liked about WHQ was that someone needed to be the DM.. in Talisman, I was delighted to discover that everyone gets to play a character because the events are all randomized by adventure cards.. it's perfect.. I am no longer responsible for coming up with a great theme/idea or being accused of handing out magic weapons to my wife or making my bosses too nasty, we all just sit down and play! :smoking:

I highly recommend it!

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

Norse wrote:..., one of the things I never liked about WHQ was that someone needed to be the DM.. in Talisman, I was delighted to discover that everyone gets to play a character because the events are all randomized by adventure cards...
To my recollection, WHQ can be played totally randomised as well. By drawing the cards (some of which you can customise) provided in the game or rolling on the event/monster encounter charts (or whatever they are called) in the book...

W

Fighting signature size creep ;)