Slaughterball: New kickstarter project

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gronlokk
Experienced
Experienced

Slaughterball: New kickstarter project

Post by Gronlokk »

And another potential addition to the ever growing list of fantasy football games: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fr ... l?ref=live
The players are not carrying any weapons and the theme of having positionals bred specifically for their individual purpose on the playing pitch is very interesting (f.e. four armed catchers, giant "butchers" to take out enemy players).

But: I don't have the slightest idea why the designer chose a 39mm-58mm scale for their minis. That makes it incompatible to pretty much every other fantasy football game already out there and has really hurt my enthusiasm for Slaughterball.

Nevertheless, February is going to be a big month for the hobby with this one, the DreadBall Extreme kickstarter and the GuildBall kickstarter. It's going to be rather interesting to see how successful each is going to be...

What do you make of Slaughterball? And are you excited for one of the other kickstarters starting this month?

Reason: ''
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Slaughterball: New kickstarter project

Post by juergen »

I kinda like the idea of the bigger models. But maybe thats a side effect of having a lot of small dreadball minis :D But I don't think i will bake this. Too much money went into dreadball and in my local tabletop club they are only intrested in BB.

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Had a look, but nothing there really jumped out and said "back me", so I'll give that a miss.

Dreadball has been a hit at the club, so very interested in DB Extreme, but I'm on a self-imposed KS ban, so I'll probably miss out on that as well.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

Hmmm...nothing here for me either. Too many games like this at the moment BB, DreadBall and others are enough.

I'm not a fan of cards in games like this. Maybe because in my very first tutorial game of DB my opponent/teacher pulled the old exploding ball card on my just as I was about to equalize on the last turn!! I didn't even know it existed.

Pass on this one.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Lots of numbers.

I would need someone like Galak to give it a review before I dipped my toe in at this point. 3 FF games are enough... especially when this is a different scale (actually 4, forgot battleball which can be a bizarrely fun base, right sized models too...).

I sincerely wish him luck though as he clearly has heart and wants this to be good.

Gronlokk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gronlokk »

The creator put up a video of the components of the game and another video about the rules for the basic game on the kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fr ... sts/743429

Check it out :) It sounds like the rules are really fun and the components and sculpts are beautiful even though it's only the prototype stuff.

BTW: Feel free to spread the word! I'd also appreciate, if you could point me to some other places where I can share my enthusiasm. I am not in any way associated to the creator of the project, but I would very much love this Kickstarter to succeed. Finally being able to score points for knocking down and injuring the opposing team ;)

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

the giant orc looking green figure looks really cool, but not sure would work well with the other Blood bowl games that are currently out in the market

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I understand it to be bigger than everyone else model wise - 33/35mm scale?

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

I think this game will be more friendly to new gamers and youngsters. I think it will also be better for club environments because you can play 2,3 or 4 player.

Maybe more of a board game for boardgamers not for leagues full of fantasy football players a la bloodbowl and dreadball.

I wouldn't mind a copy in my collection, I hope it is successful.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Chris wrote:I understand it to be bigger than everyone else model wise - 33/35mm scale?
As per the Kickstarter and the OP:
Size of figures from bottom of feet to top of figure: 39mm-58mm

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I like the images and idea what really turned me off was that with a $100 pledge I would have to add $57 for shipping.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

A lackluster (paid for) preview is now on yourtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtKH2PIfVk

Gronlokk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gronlokk »

Did you have the impression it was lackluster? I think he did a pretty good overview of the rules and components, but I don't think he even gave his opinion on the game. So a pretty neutral introduction to the concepts.

"Paid for" just means that they wouldn't have done the preview without getting paid. Slaughterball is the first game the company is producing so they pretty much have to rely on some paid advertising to get noticed. If they had produced some games prior to the kickstarter project they wouldn't need to pay anything for a preview I guess, but its a tough business for newcomers without a track record.

Tl;dr: I don't mind the preview being a paid preview. It still provides everybody with enough information to decide about the game for themselves.

Gronlokk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gronlokk »

Loki wrote:I like the images and idea what really turned me off was that with a $100 pledge I would have to add $57 for shipping.
Yep, that is a lot. I am genuinely curious how other kickstarters are able to get lower shipping to Europe. Any ideas?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

FFP are shipping it's "Shadows of Brimstone" KS from within the EU to avoid VAT issues, but I'm not sure the Slaughterball guy has really checked out all the options. Even when it was shipping from the US they were only charging $25 for shipping, and I'm getting 2 boxes that both look bigger than the Slaughterball one.

I'm not saying he's gouging people, I'm just not sure that he's reviewed all the options.