Guildball first open demo session

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Guildball first open demo session

Post by Podfrey »

Hi folks,

With the rules and cards all now being printed (as we speak!), Guildball is set to make its opening demo sessions THIS WEEKEND at Waterbowl's prestigious 10th tournament!!

"Guild Ball, the brand new tabletop fantasy medieval football game, is being demonstrated by co-creator Rich Loxam and playtester Max Horseman.

Free entry, and special pre-order deals to be had (2 starter sets + rulebook for £50!). All welcome.

Free snacks. Invite your friends! :-)

https://www.facebook.com/events/437888723031437"

For anyone wondering, this is football as those outside North America know it (kicking), but in a heavily weaponised format!! The miniatures are more in the 'very' heroic scale (30mm+) and are absolutely stunning. Don't take my word for it - pop along to find out.

The game centres around a dual approach to winning of scoring goals and/or taking the opposing players out of action. This means that the game works as well for Barcelona as it does for Stoke City and there are no matches where you set up thinking that this will be one sided.

Game play centres around the allocation of Influence at the start of a round, which is then used by the models to perform actions. Each player activates a single model then the opposing player does likewise, this repeating until all models have activated and a new round begins.

The action hots up as the round progresses, with each side able to draw on the Momentum it has generated to perform increasingly powerful Plays.

The whole game can be played in around an hour (short game) or just under two (standard game); the difference between the two being the level of Victory Points needed to reach the winning total.

Secretly held Guild Plots, drawn at random at the start, allow players the opportunity to sway the action in their favour mid-game, producing a nail biting cliffhanger right to the end.

With a high replay value, Guildball is a game that will drag you back on the pitch for 'just one more game'......... 8)

Reason: ''
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Re: Guildball first open demo session

Post by Podfrey »

http://guildball.com

For more info on the game

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I went in on the Kickstarter, but I've not really followed up with the playtesting and subsequent rules evolution. I'd be keen for some general thoughts from someone paying more attention.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Fassbinder75 wrote:I went in on the Kickstarter, but I've not really followed up with the playtesting and subsequent rules evolution. I'd be keen for some general thoughts from someone paying more attention.
Shipping (I believe) starts in the next couple of weeks, so you should be able to find out yourself soon.

In the meantime, there is an excellent podcast you might want to check out:

http://www.philbowen.com/gbt/

evenflow123
Experienced
Experienced

Post by evenflow123 »

As an outsider looking at this game (and really want to start it) this lacks some of the "fun" I see in BB. it looks to be much more serious. Am I wrong?

To be more precise: If I'm going to start this game I'm going to have to sell some BB teams. Is it worth it?

MunkeyKungFu
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MunkeyKungFu »

Most definitely yes!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Don't suppose anyone is demoing/teaching it this weekend at the NAFC? My team is off for painting.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
nobby
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nobby »

Shark is a nob. An absolute nob. Your team has been started btw Simon. Prepare for silliness Tuesday!

NAF: nobbynobbs