NAF Membership Fee - $10

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

NAF Membership Fee - $10

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi gang,

Just thought it worth a post here as I've come up against a misunderstanding regarding NAF subs a few times in recent weeks and a bit of clarity will be a good thing.

The price of NAF membership (new or renewal) is $10 US. If you sign up at a tournament face to face with a staff member there is a discount to 5 local currency (for us, £5).

Over the years, rulespacks have evolved to almost uniformly read 'this tournament costs £x, or £x+£5 for non-NAF, including sign-up'. That's OK, but TOs, remember we expect $10 from you if there is not a staff member there to conduct the transaction! We lose money sending packs out at £5.

I think what has happened is that, ten years ago, there was a staff member at each and every UK event, and 'NAF subs are a fiver' became second nature to all that attended. Perhaps on the odd occasion there wasn't a staff member at a tournament back in the day, it was such an infrequent occurrence that we were happy to wear the extra, I don't know. I also suspect £5 was also not that different to $10 for a fair while, so perhaps it seemed persnickety to moan over pennies here and there.

These days, there are far, far more tournaments, and only charging £5 for subs at all of the events where we don't have a staff member is going to get expensive over time. Please modify your pricing structures accordingly, TOs, it's probably not helpful to realise you owe the NAF a few quid more than you thought you would after your tournament. Members, remember that you can renew at any time and your membership is cumulative. To make your membership most cost effective, renew at events where there is a staff member!

Many thanks. Mods, can we please sticky this? Probably a worthwhile message to get out and reinforce.

Phil.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: NAF Membership Fee - $10

Post by lunchmoney »

Purplegoo wrote:Mods, can we please sticky this? Probably a worthwhile message to get out and reinforce.

Phil.
Even better, Loki put it in the announcements.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

So rules query - can I renew my membership in the UK at a tournament with a naf staff member present for $5 or €5 for example?

ManticoreRich
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ManticoreRich »

Pretty sure that’s what I do every year at the NAFC

scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

ManticoreRich wrote:Pretty sure that’s what I do every year at the NAFC
I mean specifically can I pay in a cheaper currency as we in the UK seem to be subsidising US & EU memberships. I don't think anyone could reasonably expect real time currency conversion but surely it should be €6 or $7 instead with maybe a bi yearly adjustment to pricing based on exchange rates.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

As posted above, it’s 5 local for the discount, so no, you can’t pay in Euro or Dollars in the UK.

There is something to be said for simplicity. I suspect an all staff email describing an annual or biannual exchange rate for discounted memberships would only lead to some missing it, members in the same place paying different amounts and extended admin headaches. Keeping it simple considering the way the organisation is structured is probably more appropriate than managing the changing fortunes of currencies.

I’m happy to bring it up at a future committee meeting, but I can’t see it changing.

scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

Purplegoo wrote:I’m happy to bring it up at a future committee meeting, but I can’t see it changing.
I think it's worth bringing up.

I'll avoid renewing at the NAFC and buy a couple of years at the World cup - unless the GBP plummets yet further in which case it will become moot.

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

On today’s exchange rate the difference between €5 and £5 is 62p.

62p.....

scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

Don__Vito wrote:62p.....
That's at least £18.60 over my remaining playing career ... we're in a recession don't you know.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

scs.sam wrote:....unless the GBP plummets yet further in which case it will become moot.
Time will tell...

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

scs.sam wrote:
ManticoreRich wrote:Pretty sure that’s what I do every year at the NAFC
I mean specifically can I pay in a cheaper currency as we in the UK seem to be subsidising US & EU memberships. I don't think anyone could reasonably expect real time currency conversion but surely it should be €6 or $7 instead with maybe a bi yearly adjustment to pricing based on exchange rates.
Of course you are also more than welcome to come and attend the Pouring Rain Open in Bergen Norway on 31st August and get it for 50 NOK :)

This could a new advertising ploy for overseas tournaments Save 53p on your NAF membership.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

:roll: :roll: Some nerds will complain about anything.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

Joemanji wrote::roll: :roll: Some nerds will complain about anything.
More of an observation than a complaint.

thor87
Super Star
Super Star

Post by thor87 »

Maybe a potential solution is to nominate more NAF reps, especially when there is now an increase in the number of tournaments in the UK.

SquadChaos Captain.
TO of Thrudball
Attemptee of the "Best Painted 29" Challenge (Only Humans to go)
scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

thor87 wrote:Maybe a potential solution is to nominate more NAF reps, especially when there is now an increase in the number of tournaments in the UK.
I agree it is definately worth some consideration, ever since the games re-release the tournament scene has exploded in popularity.

(although that is a separate issue to the difference in currency values)