WD225 - Dungeonbowl issue

Got some kit to sell? Looking to buy? Then check here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

how many other coaches play dungeonbowl

Poll ended at Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:31 am

who feels that the free wizard should be limited to a set number of games
50%
or do you agree that a full year is ok
30%
or finally that the wizard is available for only the next game free of charge
20%

Total votes: 10

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

WD225 - Dungeonbowl issue

Post by voyagers_uk »

Yippee, it finally arrived :P

I now have my mint copy with all the attached templates and pullouts, plus a fantastic treeman picture which I must try and have someone scan in, it is out of this world.

The league meets on Friday round mine and I will be checking Advanced hero quest dungeon floorplans to see how big I can make it. :evil:

the guy did screw me on the postage, I paid $9 and he only paid $4.45 but for a $0.75 magazine in plum condition I cannot complain any more :D

AnthonyW/Tom/Chet, any pointers on converting the rules to bb2k1 although I think I will still include the lurking monsters and have the non-player coaches DM it as suggested by Jervis.

It talks about the magic sponge to move players back from the stunned box to the reserves so I was going to house that as Badly hurt and KO'd

suggestions on this had better be by pm (to avoid any possible legal probs) :oops:

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I'd love to see an "official" or at least standardized set of Db rules. I have the original rulebook at home so we can probably come up with something.

From my experience using Heroquest tiles is a bad idea. What you end up with is long corridors that are a nightmare for any team with average movement. High MA teams rule the dungeon! What I would do is create some replicas of the origianl 6 Db tiles and enlarge them to the same scale as the current squares on the BB pitch (the Db squares are much smaller for those of you who hae't played it).

I don't remember the main differences between the original Db rules and the WD article, can anyone point them out?

Also I think we should write up the rules and post them somewhere, probably on blood-bowl.net, with a PDF of all the tiles and counters so people can download them. I will volunteer to make the graphics.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

fantastic Anthony,

that would be great :D

I will mock up a dungeon and see if what you say about size pans out. I still think it would be a laugh to try it out, more so if you can translate the rules.

you the man :smoking:

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Try to make your dungeon as open as possible, as to many corridors lead to a very stagnant and bogged down game.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Anthony,

When you make the tiles ... PLEASE make them the BB2k1 size for the squares. The Dungeonbowl squares are the wrong size in the box.

In addition .. assuming a lot of people don't have doors make cut out single square tiles that show open and closed doors. One PDF should be 4 open doors and 4 closed doors.

On blood-bowl.net, you'll see a BB2k1 layout that I used for Dungeonbowl using MasterMaze products. You can use some of the ideas from there to work out the layouts. I put the original floor plan next to my conversion. You might have some different thoughts than my conversions but that's cool ... I found the open holes made for a more fun board then the solid walls as players could get teleported and stranded in the box.

Here is my 3-D Dungeonbowl board from my collection ... hopefully it will help with the conversion. It also includes 3 special rules that were fun adds to the game ... you can decide whether to include them or not.

http://blood-bowl.net/Dungeonbowl/DungeonBoard.html

If I can add anything else let me know. I have most of the rules already translated in my head. I also have the original article from WD #113 on Dungeonbowl Wandering Monsters which I think was much better than the redo in WD #225. A mix between the two would yield some good monsters, and heck its taken me 2 years to collect 11 of the 12 "official" Blood Bowl Dungeonbowl moster figs, so it would be a shame to have BB2k1 Dungeonbowl rules with the mosters ... ;) .... (picture Galak on begging ... .... you guys do not know how difficult it has been to track down these 12 minis).

Anyway, I'll do whatever I can to help. Brady Stillwell from my league offered to type out some of the rules for me for a 1 USD a page, so I spent 20 USD to photocopy my materials and send them to him ... in it were all my Dungeonbowl notes and materials .... 3 months later ... not a single typed page ... sigh ... (he did break his collarbone during that time, but I had hoped to already have BB2k1 rules for Dungeonbowl up on the site by now ... oh well).

Like I said, anything I can do to assist ... let me know.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I agree with Longfang. Both the 'sample' Dungeons in WD are far too restrictive and reduce it to a teleporter lottery. Avoid bottlenecks at all costs (we ended up playing with 3 entrances/exits to the end zones). Use as many board sections as you've got.
And watch out for Wardancers leaping over people and sprinting off down the corridor! :wink:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

As regards the poll, I seem to recall this coming up for discussion a while back. I seem to recall somebody (Chet?) suggesting that the Dungeonbowl holders being able to freeboot a wizard for 30K instead of 50K. Seems reasonable to me.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Have you guys played a 3rd ed+ game on the real DB tiles? We have for a few years, they are just open enough for a good game IMO. Stronger teams can try to stop the gaps while higher MA teams can afford to run around.

Deathwing sent me a copy of the origianl rules so I will sit down tonight and make some quick notes and share them with you guys.

Anthony

BTW Galak: Yes I agree the we should use the BB2K1 sized square. Solves amny headaches and problems with passing ranges.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Last time we used the old tiles we were still playing 2e! What I like about the WHQ tiles is the ability to push people into fiery pits, and the 'hazard' rolls add some unpredictability which is fun.
"My Black Orc will block your halfling...Oops he's fallen off the bridge into the lava..." :P

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Anthony ...

Ya like I said on my site the MasterMaze board on done in BB2k1 scale ... I put the original Dungeonbowl board piece right beside it so you could see how they compared.

Galak

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Here are rules that we are using - sorry Galak no random monsters! Put these together from a number of sources on the web. Oh and made my own Boards using copied Warhammer Quest flor plans (my own WHQ), glue and cardboard - these are in line with the Boards shown on Galak's site:

1. Pick Board Set up (suggest random roll – there are 5 possibilities – if roll 6 offense picks). These set-ups are symmetrical with the End Zones at each end!
2. Toss coin for offense
3. Setup Dungeon (offense first then alternate)
a. Place Board (4 each), place end zones.
b. Place Treasure Chests (3 each) (numbers 1 to 6)
c. Place Teleport Pads (3 each) (numbers 7 to 12)
d. Place Doors (2 each) - closed
e. Place traps (6 each: 3 nothing, 2 pit, 1 spiked)
4. Hire Freebooters.
5. Work out the Cabal-vision buy rate (same as working out the Gate).
6. Work out the Handicap.
7. Roll on Handicap Table (reroll nulls eg any FF events, Smelling Salts)
8. Roll for Niggles.
9. Place 6 men in end zone section – offense first. NB select 6 men – if any have the following traits (or secret weapons) then check to see if you can set them up. If cannot set up pick alternates:-

a. Bone-Head (additional): Roll 1d6 before teleporting this player from the Reserves box. On a roll of a 1 this player may not teleport in this turn. You may not select another player to teleport in this turn.

b. Off For A Bite (Complete Change): Roll 1d6 before setting the player up at the start of the match. On a roll of 1-3 this player may not set up at the start of the match. You may select another player to setup. Roll 1d6 before teleporting this player from the Reserves box. On a roll of 1-3 this player may not teleport in this turn. You may not select another player to teleport in this turn.
c. Really Stupid (additional): Roll 1d6 before teleporting this player from the Reserves box. On a roll of 1-3 this player may not teleport in this turn. You may not select another player to teleport in this turn.

d. Regenerate (additional): Once player is injured, you must immediately roll to see if the player regenerates from the injury (player must have regenerate trait). 1-3 he continues to suffer the injury as normal (place the player prone in the Dead & Injured box). 4-6 move the player to the Reserves box. A player may only do this once per injury.

e. Take Root (Complete Change): Roll 1d6 before setting the player up at the start of the match. On a roll of 1-3 this player may not set up at the start of the match. You may select another player to set-up. Roll 1d6 before teleporting this player from the Reserves box. On a roll of 1-3 this player may not teleport in this turn. You may not select another player to teleport in this turn.

f. Secret Weapons. Make SW roll first (the entrance to the dungeon is narrow so ref can spot). If fail the player is sent off – place in D&I box ) at start can set up alternate). If teleporting in, cannot teleport another player this turn.

10. Offense first turn. Start with teleport. If has trait then check the above. If fail then cannot teleport in any player this turn.

· Teleporting:

o one man teleports in from dugout per turn (the teleport square is the first point of movement), done by rolling a D6 and appears standing in teleporter # unless someone in standing on that # in which causes reroll until # is free.

o Once in play if someone is moved onto a teleporter either by their will or pushed back (including knock over push backs) they roll D6 and go to that #. If you roll the # you are at, then you are lost in space. If the # you roll is occupied, then reroll until the # is unoccupied or you roll the original teleporter (in which case you are lost in space).

o If the player is lost in space (popped, pop), then put man in D&I box (treat as Sent Off) and a turnover occurs (he can't be used for rest of game, he has been lost in Time streams but will be found by next game), but the ball can't be lost in space. If the ball is popped with a player, then ball scatters from that teleport square.

11. Once turnover occurs or turn finishes, check all teleport squares. If any player on them they are teleported – order is team who has just played a turn first, followed by team who’s turn it is next.

· Chests:
o Opening a Chest:
§ A player can move up to their MA (include 1 to open the chest) and open a chest.

§ However, you can't be in a tackle zone and open a chest, representing the fact that you can't bend over and pry open a chest with someone jabbing/pulling at you.

o When a chest is opened roll a D6:

§ If ball number, then player has ball and all remaining chests explode. Make armour and injury rolls for any players next to the other chests.

§ If non ball number, then chest explodes. Remove that number and place all adjacent players prone and make armour rolls.

§ If number has already been removed, then re-roll until you roll a number that hasn't been removed.

· Doors:
o Start closed

o Opening a door:

§ A player can move up to their MA (include 1 to open the door) and open a door.

§ However, the player can't move any further after opening a door.

o Once opened, door remains open until closed (same rules as opening)

· Passing and Scattering:

o Only short and quick passes can be thrown.

o Ball can be thrown at wall.

§ Roll for accuracy as normal.

§ If accurate, then it hits that square.

§ If inaccurate, then roll D6: 1-3 hits to left, 4-6 hits to right.

§ Once it hits the wall use throw in template and roll 2D6 for distance. It ricochets on any walls after that, ie if it hit the wall straight on it goes back the way it came, if it hit at angle it continues at opposite angle of throw in template (90 deg off for any math/eng types) – no interceptions – final square can catch – if empty ball bounces

o If the ball scatters into the wall, then treat it like a pass into the wall – except goes 1d6 not 2d6.

§ Reasoning: Somebody next to a wall tries to grab it and it slips out of his hands. It bounces off the wall with a basketball like bounce. If you don't buy that say it is a side effect of the anti-"pop" magic on it.

· Touchdowns: You play to one score.

· Push backs and walls:

o If you get a push back result and the wall is the only location possible, then the blockee makes an AG check to remain standing in their square. – failure means POW in current square

· Trap Squares: (3 blank, 2 pit, 1 spiked pit)

o Armour and injury for pit.

o AG check to get out of a pit with that being that persons only action.

o They had to stand up on the first turn, then crawl out on the second.

o Modifiers of +1 for each friend, -1 for each foe.

o There has to be an open square for them to climb into.

o Spiked pits – roll armour and injury at +2/+2.

o Note pit traps cannot be placed in end zones. If you want to start with a person on a trap counter then place all six starting people then reveal the pit and resolve before play starts.

12. Team-mates can only be thrown at Quick distance (ceiling gets in the way!)

13. KO'd, Seriously Injured, and Dead players are immediately teleported to the appropriate dugout location.

14. Once per game, the team Apothecary may attempt to heal a player that has been teleported back due to an injury. The Apothecary must immediately do this, or the injury will be suffered as normal. In addition, the Apothecary can heal a player injured in a pit. However, they still need to make an AG roll etc to get out.

15. Each team is provided with a Magic Sponge. Once per turn, instead of teleporting a player into the dungeon, a coach may use the Magic Sponge on a player in the Knocked Out box. That player is immediately moved to the reserves box.

16. Players with the leap skill may jump over Pits that are only 1 square wide. Resolve this as a normal Leap skill roll. A failed leap roll means player falls into pit. You cannot leap over a player standing in a one square wide doorway.

17. Can only have a max of 11 (Big Guys teams – 8) players active in the Dungeon at any one time. Thus cannot teleport player in until another player comes out.

18. Re-rolls – Cannot re-roll teleports nor chest openings.

19. Diagonal Squares half divided by wall. Where there are 2 diagonal squares with a wall along the side of one of the squares and touching a corner of the other square, you can block the opponent and if you wish - to move away you must dodge.

20. Moving Diagonal squares (as 19) – you cannot move diagonally since the wall stops the movement. Also means you cannot follow up on a block nor push back a player to a diagonal square.

21. End game sequence –

1. Work out each teams winnings – per table less 10k.

2. Allocate Star player points and roll on the Star Player Table (roll ageing too).

3. Roll on the Fan Factor Table.

4. Make any purchases.

5. Work out new Team Rating.