House rules for short leagues or quick start.

The catch-all area for Elfball if it does not fit in one of the other forums

Moderator: TFF Mods

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

House rules for short leagues or quick start.

Post by bouncergriim »

An idea for house rules on leagues:

For 1 test games during season and best of 3 for playoffs/finals:
For faster progression Experience: 1pt for scoring player, 1pt for all players (friends and foes on feild during goal turn), 1 point for all players on scoring team (team morale boost).

So if you play one test the winner's goal scorer gets 3xps, the other freinds on the field get 2pts, the bench winners get 1. The opposing teams players on the field at time of goal get 1 point so that no team will stagnate entirely.

Team roster and Active/Inactive list: Teams have 180pts to start but can only field 140 per game. Maybe bump to 200/150or180 for playoffs. Next season have like 200/140. I think this would add depth to the General managing.

Reason: ''
mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Re: House rules for short leagues or quick start.

Post by mattski »

How about some way of using the Challenge dice.

Winning Team / Scorer: 3 Dice

Winning Team / On Field: 2 Dice

Winning Team / Bench: 1 Dice

Losing Team: 1 Dice

Roll the die and if you get 2 (or 1 or however many you want to set) then you get an Experience point. Of course some people may not want to have skilling up be random but then you can tweak it any way that you want. Maybe allow all players to have played to have an XP but then have rolls for on field players or the scorer for the chance to have extra XP. Or have an experience system so that as players get older they stand a smaller chance to get more XP whilst newer players gain experience quicker.

Lovely set of balanced rules allow for an infinite number of possibilities.

Carpe Diem
Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Spiky »

I'm not a fan of randomising the number of improvement points a player gets, but this isn't a big issue - the beauty of the cap means all teams should still be balanced even if one zooms ahead on good experience rolls :)

Bouncergrim's - I like your suggestion - if you're playing 140/150 point teams in a single test league, I think extra experience is probably a good thing, although I'd probably limit experience to your 'active' players rather than ones who weren't part of the team at all for the game.

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

I liked the moral boost xps for the whole team, but a 3/2/1 system of all on the pitch could work too.

Score goal = 3pts
Everyone else on pitch for winning team=2pts
All opponents on pitch=1pt

We will probably keep that the bench gets points in our league once we start it, we really want to get to try skills and like the quicker advancement to see how it goes. Also we don't want to start with skill but see how a league could progress using all advanced rules and faster advancement.

Alternatively we could just make advancements at 3pts instead of 5...I will float this with the other guy heading up our attempt at a 4person league. We are still waiting on our extra elfball boards so we can start, we are going to try to always meet up as a group and play each other, being there are only 4 of us.

-Thomas Grimstad

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

This was exactly my thought.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mattski »

I so wish that there was a fummbl / pbem tool to play games of Elfball on when I read threads like this! I know that the random player progression is not for everyone and I was talking about it more just because to me EB lends itself to it. Everything is just so balanced that I love the idea of a little bit of randomness in how skills come about. The game does strike me though as being one thing with new teams and players and something completely different when you start to get some skills striding about the circle!

I look forward to hearing about what your league is like when you start to get some skills and players begin to take on some personality.

Carpe Diem
Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Spiky »

bouncergriim wrote: Score goal = 3pts
Everyone else on pitch for winning team=2pts
All opponents on pitch=1pt
I'll echo Sann here - this might be something we can discuss adopting for our league, assuming everyone is happy
bouncergriim wrote: we are going to try to always meet up as a group and play each other, being there are only 4 of us.
That's what we did and it was fun - with cards and single test games, you should easily be able to get 2 league matches into an evening's gaming

Cheers,
Spiky

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

Got the stuff in for us to start our league. Probably get things rolling mid April.

Rules for our league still being hammered out but here is a rough sketch of them

1 test games full rules: advanced faceoff and conditionals

xp:
3 for scorer
2 for all other teammates of scorer on pitch
1 for all opponents on pitch

Rosters size:
140/180 You are allowed to field 140pts of stuff but you may keep 40pts of players on you DL so you have flexibilty to change roster/playstyle for various opponents. Think you get the skill cutblock and it does no good against a night elf team. You DL that player and bring in a rookie. All other limits are in place, so if both your hunters have cutblock and you hold them out then you don't have any hunters for this game.

This rule encourages you to have a more flexible roster without as much bloat fear, more general managering, and ability to adapt to various opponents.