VABBL Inaugural League Sign-ups

Need new players? Starting a league in a new area? Promote them here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

VABBL Inaugural League Sign-ups

Post by GJK »

Hi Folks,

VABBL (Vassal Blood Bowl League) is taking registrants for it's opening season. Outcast (long time TFF member) has volunteered to commish the league and has registered a domain for us (vabbl.org). The site will soon be under construction and he will be adding the OBBLM software to it. This opening post is to gauge interest with the hopes of getting the league organized soon. So far, we have a confirmed 4 players in the league, myself and Outcast included of course. We will iron out the league rules and the type of league that it is to be once we've gathered enough coaches and have some league meetings. Your input will be welcomed!

VASSAL (http://www.vassalengine.org) is a java based "tool" that allows boardgames to be played online; either with "live" play or via Play By Email (pbem). At this time, the league will welcome play via either method (or a combination of the two methods) as long as matches are recorded within the given time schedule. More information about the Vassal module that has been developed for this league can be found on the forum here at: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 26&t=40257

I am available to help interested coaches in installing and configuring Vassal (fairly painless) and on the use of the module (also fairly painless) as well as instructions on how you would view and record log files for pbem play.

Outcast may jump in here with some of his comments and with that I will open up this thread to allow those coaches that are interested to post notice here. We're looking forward to the response!

Reason: ''
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: VABBL Inaugural League Sign-ups

Post by daloonieshaman »

is vassel sort of like fumbbl ?

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

daloonieshaman wrote:is vassel sort of like fumbbl ?
Sort of but it also allows pbem play so you can start your turn, save your log, open your log and resume your turn as needed. And no, you can't go back and "undo" bad rolls. Log files are encrypted. You can also play it live by meeting online with your opponent.

I think that you might find vassal to be more user friendly as well or at least it is for me. I haven't poked around a whole lot on fumbbl but it was getting pretty confusing pretty quickly for me; what type of league to join, how to set up a team, how do I just test out the thing by solo'ing a game, etc.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
undercovergeek
Rookie
Rookie

Post by undercovergeek »

im in - is there a time scale on the site construction?

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

undercovergeek wrote:im in - is there a time scale on the site construction?
Hey UCG, welcome! Glad that you made it over!

I'll let Outcast answer that part because he'll have a better idea on the time frame. I'll be assisting with graphics and possibly the content management system stuff for the site and he is able to install OBBLM (the league manager software) as well as a message forum for the league.

In the meantime, here's a copy/paste of the thread where I announce the vassal module. It has the dropbox link to download the latest build so that you can mess around with it:
If you're interested in playtesting the module, I have it up on dropbox. The shared link is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/alob72vrrisz ... TWGHa?dl=0

The current beta version filename is Blood_Bowl_Vassal_.9.5.vmod

Thanks to Outcast for his help in playtesting the module! Many improvements have been suggested by him and are now implemented.

9.5 Changes: Added "Roll Over" to the movement sub-menu. This will remove the Stunned marker, add a Knocked Down marker and mark the piece as having moved for the turn. Also squished a bug that would send a piece below the pitch layer (and thus become lost in the void) if the left or down arrow key was pressed.

9.4 Changes: Added Assistant Coach markers. Changed the ID tag on some teams to help keep the teams distinctive at zoomed out views. Changed graphics/wording on Dugouts. Added 1d8, 1d3.

9.3 Changes: Added Cheerleaders and FAME markers. Added the two missing Amazon Blitzers. Various other minor changes.

9.2 Changes: A "Knocked Down" player can be toggled to "Stand Up" as part of a move with a Shift+S keystroke. This will remove the Knocked Down indicator overlay and place a "Has Moved" indicator in its place with the one keystroke.

9.1 Changes: Blocking symbol overlay can now be toggled with ctrl+numpad # for the direction of the block instead of having to cycle through all of the different blocking directions.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

undercovergeek wrote:im in - is there a time scale on the site construction?
Excellent! I'm just in the process of getting OBBLM installed and setup. As soon as it is then I'll update this thread and interested coaches will be able to create accounts on it.

I ought to add that I'm new to this whole Commish business so bear with me! It was my enthusiasm toward GJKs VASSAL project that got me the job! :-)

It really does work well over VASSAL and actually "feels" more like Blood Bowl (in it's TT form) than the other digital formats I've tried. Also great if you don't have time to play FUMBBL during the day but can fire out a couple of quick turns over email.

Once we have enough coaches to kick off we can hammer out the league format/rules and any input will be greatly received!

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

GJK wrote:Hi Folks,

Outcast (long time TFF member) !
?? :wink:

really??

sounds interesting!

outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

glowworm wrote:

really??

sounds interesting!
:lol: It must have been my knowledgeable responses that gave that impression... I have already credited you as having taught me everything I know!!

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

outcast wrote:
glowworm wrote:

really??

sounds interesting!
:lol: It must have been my knowledgeable responses that gave that impression... I have already credited you as having taught me everything I know!!
I'll modify my original post to read: "Outcast, who didn't fizzle out after 6 months of interest and is still on the forums..." :)

Again, thanks for volunteering to commish the league and to get a website up and going for us...much appreciated!

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

For those of you that are curious to see how Blood Bowl Vassal works (via pbem) and/or how it's different than FUMBBL or pbembb, I've shared a folder that contains the logfiles from a game that I'm playing against Outcast. The folder is in the dropbox folder that contains the current module and is called: "Blood Bowl vs Outcast"

If you're new to Vassal, the steps involved would be first installing java if you don't have it already (java.com). Next, install the current version of Vassal (www.vassalengine.org). Then you will want to download the Blood Bowl Vassal module (from the dropbox link provided above, current build is .9.5) and then run Vassal and File > Open Module and select the Vassal Blood Bowl module. At the start up screen, select "Load saved game" and then select the file called "GJK_Outcast_001.vlog" from our saved games folder. Use the "Pg Dn" button to cycle through the log step by step. Once that log finishes, go to "File > Load continuation" and then select the "002" file and so on. It's very simple really and if anybody has any problems getting Vassal or the module/logs to work, just post a message or PM me and I'd be happy to help you. :)

-Dean Vernon Wormer
ravyn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ravyn »

why not. may be the only way i get to play. Im in

ImageApprentice Blasphemer - Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
GJK