NAF Voting - if not, why not?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Why did you not vote?

Not interested in who the TD is
17%
Didn't know the candidates and didn't want to spend the time finding out about them
13%
Didn't know it was happening
15%
Would have voted "none of the above"
4%
Other (details below)
13%
I did vote! What, some people didn't?
37%

Total votes: 46

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

NAF Voting - if not, why not?

Post by sann0638 »

Hi all,

now that the dust has settled a bit on the various NAF elections, I'd be interested in hearing from the NAF members who did not vote. What's with that?

Not an open opportunity to have a go at anyone or the NAF in general, but worth getting some feedback I think.

Cheers,

Mike

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NAF Voting - if not, why not?

Post by HairyPete77 »

I didn't vote.

I did know about it through the NAF comms and the mentions by some candidates on Twitter and podcasts. I didn't suffer from any of the issues that I know some suffered from.

One of the biggest factors has to be that the electioneering was carried out on the NAF forum itself under the cover of the members login. The NAF forum isn't a place I frequent as it's a pain to deal with and a pain to read a keep up to date with.

Having to dig through threads to find each candidates opinions was too difficult. It would have been nice to hear from them via comms other than the official threads. A simple PDF manifesto from each candidate, an email statement via the NAF would have been nice. It was being held as an official election but not run publicly enough with supporting materials (IMO).

In general, and again in my opinion, I think that none of the candidates stood out as addressing the overall relationship with Blood Bowl the game/hobby, the players, the TOs and the NAF; focus seemed to be on running the World Cup or finances or changing the website. Now, given the previously mentioned factors for not voting - access to each candidates manifesto - these could have all been covered in great depth, in which case I apologise to the person that stood on that platform as I would have voted for you.

No offence to anyone running as a candidate or the people involved in running the election. It's just how it came over to me at the time.

Hope this helps for next time.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I voted "no confidence" :)

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
DarthBLU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DarthBLU »

I didn't vote because I was not going to renew my naf membership so i thought that was the right thing to do.
I stopped going to tournaments and I have found that the NAF has less to offer me now, that's why i didn't renew.
Also i don't browse forums that don't support tapatalk.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I did not vote as whilst I support the NAF's existence I do not attend tournaments so would not be a good judge of candidate.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

No vote for similar reasons: support the NAF and it's aim but am not a tournament player.

Picking up from Pete's post above, some focus on league play might be interesting/useful (read about a database being built in some thread days ago?). Also useful (and important) is taking in consideration that, in the absence of GW support for the TT side of the game, it may well have, in practice, escaped from their control. Despite the Cyanide game, BB seems to be, these days a comunity effort both online and IRL. The NAF has an important role (and responsibility) in "keepin the flame alive" and nurturing it, if I may wax lyrical.

My 0.02€

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

League development in this thread: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 81&t=39912

I say thread. More "post".

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I didn't vote as I rarely attend tournaments, also when I visited the Q&A thread for the candidates they seemed to quickly get derailed by people with an axe to grind.

There seems to be a lot of bad blood about stuff that's happened in the past I'm ignorant of.

The thing is I have no idea what power's the presidency has, is he a dictator or do the rest of the staff have vetoing powers? Kind of like the US president. I wonder what percentage of the NAF members would actually notice when there was a change of president.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Virral
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Virral »

I didnt vote. I knew it was coming "soon" but assumed id get some kind of notification when voting opened. Next thing I knew it was already over.

I dont use facebook or twitter, but I do read here and Ausbowl fairly regularly. Id read the NAF forums regularly too if they were available via tapatalk (I do most of my forum reading on my phone these days).

Im not saying I didnt have the info available if id been looking for it, but in the past I could swear there has been a "voting now open" email to members and I assumed this would be the same.

Eucalyptus Bowl - Australia's Biggest and Best Blood Bowl Event
Join us in 2014 - 5th and 6th of July, Burwood RSL in Sydney

Speaking of Euc Bowl, I've got some stuff from this years event available for sale!
cdwat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cdwat »

I didn't vote as I've never been able to access my account :(
(I signed up at a tournament in March)

WeeManBiggins
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WeeManBiggins »

My post from the NAF Forum, thought it would be relevant here.
I'm not sure about this as it was 2008 when I joined, but is there a welcome pack included with membership packs? If not, then why not? This is a key area to get new members interested and alert to the NAF and what it stands for and what it can offer members. Things like a welcome from the president, about what the NAF is and what it does, about tournaments & rankings, the community, what your membership offers you and much more. As well as this, there should be a pack for membership renewals as well, detailing latest new additions to the website etc, a thanks from the president and other bits relevant.
I don't know or can't remember if there is even a email that gets sent to the renewal from the NAF saying thanks, the only confirmation perhaps is the receipt for paypal.
Another suggestion via tournaments and raising awareness could be a better way to sign people up to the NAF. I've sent details off for new members or renewals, paid the money but I still have no idea if they have been added/signed up unless I check the rankings. I think they are also still waiting for confirmation and a welcome as well as their gift. Also I think people who run tournaments should get an email from a NTO or the TO saying thanks for supporting, here are some pointers (or point to the direction of where these tips can be found), what to do after the tournament (again maybe just pointing in the right direction) and here are some news items about the NAF, could you please announce them at your tournament.
It's really starting to shape up at the NAF, the website looks great, there's tons of social media out there and more people (at least at my league) are starting to take a bigger interest in the NAF, it's just a case of tighten the screws and removing the old. Keep up the good work!
I missed voting, stuff was going on in my life, bad stuff... I generally think you can get more people interested by the above. Make it a bit more personal and more professional.

HDWSBBL Commissioner
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I voted :smoking:

One thing that really " ground my gears" having to post a variation of the same question over & over onto each candidates thread......don't know how you go about changing it tho' I'm sure some tech wizard could come up with a solution so you post a question and all candidates answers where collated in one place...

Not a criticism, just an observation, I actually thought the process was quite smooth....

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

WeeManBiggins wrote: I still have no idea if they have been added/signed up unless I check the rankings. I think they are also still waiting for confirmation and a welcome as well as their gift.
Just on this, I raised it with committee and it turns out people should get an email when they renew - everyone fell into two camps: not realising people weren't getting emails or not realising that people should be getting emails. People are now looking into this.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

sann0638 wrote:
WeeManBiggins wrote: I still have no idea if they have been added/signed up unless I check the rankings. I think they are also still waiting for confirmation and a welcome as well as their gift.
Just on this, I raised it with committee and it turns out people should get an email when they renew - everyone fell into two camps: not realising people weren't getting emails or not realising that people should be getting emails. People are now looking into this.
[off topic]I dont recall a renewal email ever being received. I renew at NAFC, rather than online, if that makes a diff? [off topic]

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yep, that's what I said to the committee too. I've never received any emails about signing up, but people should. As I say, it's being looked into.

But yes, this is off topic. Will split it if it continues much :)

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler