Reconsidering the ruling on Khorne?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Reconsidering the ruling on Khorne?

Post by sann0638 »

Well, they don't have Ag4 or starting Block, so presumably he's strongly in favour?

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Daemons of Khorne is not an overpowered team but it doesn't accurately represent the slaughtering spirit of the Blood God, a Chaos team has waaay more killing potential (thanks to clawpomb).

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The spirit maybe, but the efficacy, no.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Given the choice of a roster to add, both this Quorn roster and a Brett roster are both faaaaaaaar down the list of ones I'd like the NAF to even consider.
I'd rather the Apes of Wrath were added, despite it having nothing to do with the BB universe - at least a roster that has been developed by people that play the game rather than one that's been hamstrung with stupid restrictions.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

That's usually all we hear about why the Khorne roster is no good. Somehow it doesn't fit someone's idea of what it should be. We are however, presented with what it *is*. What is broken about the mechanics? I've never heard anything convincing. Yet the haters still hate.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Fluff is important to me - I don't play this game "just" for the rules, otherwise we might as well dispense with the names completely.
The Quorn roster doesn't fit in with any of the fluff, the names have no bearing on the players - it's just not fluffy.
I personally don't think a fluffy Khorne roster fits into the game, but if we have to have a roster with the Khorne name attached then it should match the fluff somewhat.

I could live with the roster, but it needs tweaking, both in the names and some of the stats (passing access, mutations etc).

But as it stands, just no.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Darkson wrote:Fluff is important to me - I don't play this game "just" for the rules, otherwise we might as well dispense with the names completely.
The Quorn roster doesn't fit in with any of the fluff, the names have no bearing on the players - it's just not fluffy.
I personally don't think a fluffy Khorne roster fits into the game, but if we have to have a roster with the Khorne name attached then it should match the fluff somewhat.

I could live with the roster, but it needs tweaking, both in the names and some of the stats (passing access, mutations etc).

But as it stands, just no.
Would you be all right with a team named Khorne that was internally consistent for the team, but not necessarily with the greater Warhammer fluff? If the Bloodthirsters were named "Khorne Berserkers" or something, or would the departure from existing storylines/mythology never sit with you?

I have no familiarity with any of the Warhammer systems--I've only played their "board" or big-box games, so I don't have an idea of what kind of departure they've made.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

A team that represented the fluff I could live with, but it would be all about killing, and probably would never pick up the ball (unless to use it to stab someone in the face).
Certainly no Pass access.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

The team that fits the Khorne fluff for me is the Chaos team (with pact undivided, nurgle nurgle and nothing yet for Tzentch and slanesh). This is fine to call a Khorne demon team, accept it and I would be fine with it.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

The BB community shows its age when it comes to the Khorne roster. I don't really disagree with Darkson's points I'm an 'old' gamer as well, I was around for Realm of Chaos and all that.

That aside though, I don't think fluff concerns are a good enough reason to block what is clearly a reasonable, and interesting roster from people that want to play them competitively (as masochistic as that may be).

The community is five years grey-er and bald-er since there was anything new in this game. That's not good for any game's long term prospects.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
dentt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dentt »

Fassbinder75 wrote:The The community is five years grey-er and bald-er since there was anything new in this game. That's not good for any game's long term prospects.
Chess and Scrabble must be dead then :)

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

dentt wrote:
Fassbinder75 wrote:The The community is five years grey-er and bald-er since there was anything new in this game. That's not good for any game's long term prospects.
Chess and Scrabble must be dead then :)
Apples & oranges.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Darkson wrote:A team that represented the fluff I could live with, but it would be all about killing, and probably would never pick up the ball (unless to use it to stab someone in the face).
Well yes, but you could say the same for most of the teams. Blood Bowl has the (ridiculous) underlying premise of 'what if Warhammer factions stopped fighting wars and played football instead?' Once you accept that, then while a Khorne team would be heavy bash focussed, they would still be a BB team.

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Absolutely. "It doesn't fit the fluff" is a ridiculous argument. Most people's anti-Khorne stance is just a dressed up anti-Cyanide one. They are of course welcome to an opinion, but that shouldn't stop the NAF reviewing it.

Speaking from experience I can say they do not unbalance persistent league play and they are not tournament winners.

You could bleat that that's anecdotal and there's no data, but there won't be while the roster is banned!

Surely the smart thing to do is a provisional acceptance pending analysis of accrued data?

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

I don't particularly want to see any new teams get added onto the 24. But that's just because I like the state of things now and I don't want anything to change :lol:

Blood Bowl changing from its' current state going forward is something I and any others of a similar opinion are just going to have to live with if we want to keep playing it. I'd love it to stay how it is, but at the same time I don't want to become that one guy who has to drag someone into a game of 3rd ed. every now and then.

I'd rather Khorne didn't happen.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."