Reconsidering the ruling on Khorne?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Reconsidering the ruling on Khorne?

Post by Darkson »

Does anyone know for sure that Khorne will even re-appear in Cyanide's BB2? It wasn't in the originally announced 8 races, and obviously trying to get firm information from the companies involved is like trying to walk to the moon.
If it's not going to be in the game, why should the NAF bother?

If there's a need to add more races and the NAF is happy to take the lead I'd rather they ask current BB players to design it from the ground up, not a couple of players who were handcuffed into stupid design rules.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

And now the reason for starting this thread becomes clear... :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

What's that?

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Why? What's happened?

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Ah right. Brets.

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Excellent.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I have read the full thread now and I cannot actually see a sensible post about why they should not be allowed by NAF.

The Waterbowl league have allowed the roster for a couple of years now and they really are not that good. I really dont see what the issue is, the NAF already allow 3 unofficial teams (which I agree with before someone jumps on me like is often the way here lol), so why not one more that has been playtested exstensivley and is not broken at all.

And dont repeat the fluff bs as that really is a little sad tbh, if you like blood bowl for fluff pick up a book instead of playing.

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Valen wrote:And dont repeat the fluff bs as that really is a little sad tbh, if you like blood bowl for fluff pick up a book instead of playing.
Well, I don't play BB (and wargames in general) for the tight rules - if I did I'd be very disappointed. And what books? Not the Forbeck crap I assume?

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

While the fluff fan is reading his book, you should be playing chess. You've no real right to tell people that their favorite aspect of the hobby is sad. The allure of the game is that it allows for enjoyment on multiple levels, not all of which need appeal to every player.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I accept your point but if you are correct what right have you to say a blanket no to a new team because they don't fit your idea of BB fluff?

It appears one rule for you one rule for us.

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

First off, I'm not arguing against Khorne based on their fluffiness or lack thereof. But it's unfair to dismiss (and insult) those that might have an issue with it. I think that fluff should be considered right alongside balance and entertainment value. Even with data analysis and playtesting, those considerations are all at least somewhat subjective. It's always going to be someone's opinion winning out over that of someone else.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

OK, everyone back to their corners... :D

I completely respect the fluff discussion. I am a huge proponent of fluff, just look at the magazines I post each month from our league. (Seriously - read them! :evil: )

I think the fluff is what you make of it. This game got torn away from the Warhammer universe long ago. I am not a Warhammer player so I don't have the ties to the game, but there is no reason why we can't in our own tournaments or local leagues come up with the fluff that this makes sense with. Perhaps Khorne got bored with the beastmen and warriors and decided to make a separate race. Perhaps G-Dub had sex with a demon (yeah, I went there) and a Bloodthirster was their lovechild. And is their play consistent with how Khorne uses them in the Warhammer world? Maybe not, but it's chaos.

Just my 2 cents...

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Well, one could complain that the inclusion of Khorne at all is way too Warhammery (though not any different than Nurgle, obviously). Especially given the previous removal of Warhammer naming from the rosters (Phoenix Warriors, Stormvermin, Yeti, etc.), adding a new team that is so intrinsically tied to a GW property seems regressive.

But the main fluff issue is that the god of bloodletting and violence has put together a roster that is not as well suited to bloodletting and violence as the generic Chaos roster. That's why the lightly scrambled rosters on the previous page seem to work so well. They temper one of the game's major balance issues while also improving the teams' relation to the fluff.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I think we are getting slightly off topic. This thread is about the NAF ruling on Cyanide's Khorne roster, a ruling that made no mention of fluff.

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Quite right. Whatever your personal opinion of the fluff, it was not part of the NAF's ruling.

Exactly who from the NAF would now make the call? It would be good to hear from a committee member, even if it was only to say they choose not to reconsider.