Easier sign-us at events?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Marc
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Easier sign-us at events?

Post by Marc »

I am currently NAF NTO for Germany. Once in a while I have been asked by tournament organizers how to handle registration of new users and renewals if no RTO/NTO is present at their tournament. Usually I offer them to send them (i.e. the tournament organizers) enough dice/FAME markers/... before the tournament according to their expectations which will be required. At the tournament they collect the money and the required information (desired username and e-mail-address for new users and username for renewals). After the tournament they transfer the money to me and send me the other data via e-mail. Then I add the new users and do the renewals on the NAF site and transfer the money to the NAF. If there is any surplus material I collect it when I see the tournament organizer at any other event or ask him if he can give it to any other RTO (if he sees one of them before).
So far I had no major problems.

Reason: ''
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

I think that Darkson would have used the same method, but he believed that an RTO would be attending in person.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

http://member.thenaf.net/index.php?name ... pic&t=6138
(Re-posting my reply from there here, as this is where it was bought up.)
Geggster wrote:- Member proposal: Organizer registration form
It had been proposed that tournament organizers be able to directly register new members without direct oversight from NAF staff. Following discussion, committee agreed that the risk outweighed any added convenience.
Can you expand on what the agreed risk was? For example, when we've got coaches, both new and old that are waiting for games (and in 5 cases, for the coaches to be added to the database) to be added from Crumb in April, which has had a knock-on effect of the rankings for at least one other tournament I'm interested in what risk outweighs that inconvenience

[Edit] Just to say Lycos is on the case, and the above is nearly fixed now, but the point is it's taken 6 months to sort, and only came to light because a coach claimed to be a NAF member at a later event but didn't show on the list.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Sorry, I would have messaged you about it (as I did HairyPete regarding his proposals), but Lycos said he might just speak to you in person.

The current system is set up so that a NAF staff member is always involved in the registration and renewal processes. Even so, mistakes are made. These often take a great deal of time to even be recognized, and are then a hassle to clean up. By opening the process up to an even greater number of users, it was felt that these issue would be correspondingly multiplied. If, to guard against such mistakes, a staff member was to "sign off" on each registration submitted by an organizer, that would just be a slightly more automated version of what goes on now.

(Please note that I am paraphrasing the opinions of the committee and that some nuance might be lost.)