Change to NAF fees

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Change to NAF fees

Post by sann0638 »

Effectively immediately, there will be a change to the way NAF memberships are charged, as follows:

Online signups and renewals will stay the same
In-person signups and renewals in US and Canada drop to $5, and you choose from available gifts at the time
In-person signups and renewals in Euros drop to 5 Euros, and you choose from available gifts at the time
Australasian signups and renewals stay the same
U16 in-person signups and renewals are now free for those playing in tournaments
There are various reasons for this: encouraging people to signup at tournaments, reduced postal cost if they do, less need for NAF officials to carry change. The U16 rule is to encourage the next generation!

Apologies to those who signed up yesterday!

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Change to NAF fees

Post by lunchmoney »

Am I reading right, no change for UK members?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

Interesting.

- I don't see why there isn't a change in the UK given the exchange rates mean 5 Euros/$ is between £3 and £4 and I just paid £5 at the NAFC.
- I think there should be a flat rate per region and not be different in person or online.
- The cost of postage shouldn't be an issue as it should already be factored in.
- As a TO I would prefer online signups to be encouraged to make it easier to run the tournament on the day. The current system is based on an NAF official attending every tournament. In many cases they do, but this is not very flexible and doesn't work when you talk about leagues.
- I like the U16 deal but why not extend it to U18 to mirror the recent newcomer award at the NAFC?
- By encouraging people to renew at tournaments it does help remove the (apparent) constant problem of people not getting gifts or getting them very late. But it does seem like going round the wall and makes for an odd set of rules.
- I would also suggest a free membership that doesn't have a gift. This would give people a membership number and mean their tournament matches can be recorded without fudging the system.

I look forward to seeing how this was decided when I read the NAF minutes.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Get back on Twitter ;)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

lunchmoney wrote:Am I reading right, no change for UK members?
Yep.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

sann0638 wrote:Get back on Twitter ;)
Pretty strong and comprehensive argument from the NAF media officer. :oops: Thanks for the clarification there Mike!!

So, no change to UK pricing? is this because the NAF is well represented in the UK, so no need for a "Carrot"??

also agree with the free membership for U18's not 16's, its in line with recent changes at the NAFC and would make sense.....

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Oh, if you insist.
HairyPete77 wrote:Interesting.

- I don't see why there isn't a change in the UK given the exchange rates mean 5 Euros/$ is between £3 and £4 and I just paid £5 at the NAFC.
The UK has been underpaying compared to the US for a while, and 5 of most currencies is a good round number. Signing up at tournaments saves on the postage, so this is being recognised, but dropping below £5 would necessitate TOs carrying change, which is unnecessary.
HairyPete77 wrote: - I think there should be a flat rate per region and not be different in person or online.
- The cost of postage shouldn't be an issue as it should already be factored in.
Noted. It is factored in, but there is enough leeway to reduce the fees.
HairyPete77 wrote: - As a TO I would prefer online signups to be encouraged to make it easier to run the tournament on the day. The current system is based on an NAF official attending every tournament. In many cases they do, but this is not very flexible and doesn't work when you talk about leagues.
- I like the U16 deal but why not extend it to U18 to mirror the recent newcomer award at the NAFC?
Good point with the TO thing. Only applies to first-time signups.
Could do with U16 v U18, didn't draw the parallel.
HairyPete77 wrote: - By encouraging people to renew at tournaments it does help remove the (apparent) constant problem of people not getting gifts or getting them very late. But it does seem like going round the wall and makes for an odd set of rules.
- I would also suggest a free membership that doesn't have a gift. This would give people a membership number and mean their tournament matches can be recorded without fudging the system.
The 2nd point wasn't considered as an option this time around.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

glowworm wrote: So, no change to UK pricing? is this because the NAF is well represented in the UK, so no need for a "Carrot"??
The UK has been underpaying compared to the US for a while, but this is also a good reason.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
danger rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by danger rat »

Can I ask why it's £5 to register in the uk at a naf event but £6.80 online because we have to pay in dollars? I'm being penalised for not being able to attend the nafc due to it clashing with other stuff and living to far from most naf tournaments. I've no issue paying a fiver just curious as to why we have to pay in dollars?

Thanks

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Wow the NAF US has loads in the bank !

I think the U16's rule is a good one but as has already said could be extended to U18's also could be free for Women too, I did have a sensible reason for this, oh wait no its gone...

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

danger rat wrote:Can I ask why it's £5 to register in the uk at a naf event but £6.80 online because we have to pay in dollars? I'm being penalised for not being able to attend the nafc due to it clashing with other stuff and living to far from most naf tournaments. I've no issue paying a fiver just curious as to why we have to pay in dollars?
You are not being penalised for not being able to attend the NAFC. Incentives are not a penalty for those who are unable to claim them (for whatever reason).

The online NAF subscription is in dollars as we are registered as an entity in the US.

As mentioned above, the lower cost when signing up in person reflects the postage costs we are not having to pay. Again, this is not meant as a punishment for those signing up online.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

HairyPete77 wrote: - As a TO I would prefer online signups to be encouraged to make it easier to run the tournament on the day. The current system is based on an NAF official attending every tournament. In many cases they do, but this is not very flexible and doesn't work when you talk about leagues.
Has any consideration been given to allowing online sign-ups at the reduced fee with gifts collected at a tournament?
Would allow pre-registration for tournaments and relieve the NAF rep of having to handle money. Would also give them some advance warning of how many gifts are required for a tournament.

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

An interesting idea, Vanguard. I'll look into that option, but no guarantees that there isn't some issue I'm unaware of.

danger rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by danger rat »

Joemanji wrote:
danger rat wrote:Can I ask why it's £5 to register in the uk at a naf event but £6.80 online because we have to pay in dollars? I'm being penalised for not being able to attend the nafc due to it clashing with other stuff and living to far from most naf tournaments. I've no issue paying a fiver just curious as to why we have to pay in dollars?
You are not being penalised for not being able to attend the NAFC. Incentives are not a penalty for those who are unable to claim them (for whatever reason).

The online NAF subscription is in dollars as we are registered as an entity in the US.

As mentioned above, the lower cost when signing up in person reflects the postage costs we are not having to pay. Again, this is not meant as a punishment for those signing up online.
Fair enough regarding the postage, and my original post was meant to say I feel I'm being penalised btw my typing not keeping up as usual with my brain!. Its just frustrating that there is a lack of blood bowl tournaments in the midlands, when I do renew are block dice still an option or have they all gone now?

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

They're still an option.

Maybe you could find one worth leaving the Midlands for? A big one like the NAFC or something worthwhile like ThrudBall, perhaps.