Moderator: TFF Mods

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Why join the NAF?

Post by Regash »

sann0638 wrote:I am super healthy!
Do I think the NHS should exist? Yes!
Should I pay for it? No, because I am super healthy!
I don't have a clue what NHS is but... Yeah, something like that! :lol:

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Lmgtfy...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Regash

Post by Regash »

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

sann0638 wrote:I am super healthy!

Do I think the NHS should exist? Yes!

Should I pay for it? No, because I am super healthy!
:D
I don't think that is a very accurate description. It, to me, is more like this.

GW makes the rules.

The NAF governs those of Tournamentium and imposes the rule of GW.

Those who live in Tabletopia and Onlielanda, and never visit Tournamentium, also follow the rules set down by GW, but have no need to join the NAF.

As a Canadian, it would be more like me paying British tax on top of my Canadian taxes since the Queen is still technically our figurehead. Not gonna happen.

My biggest fear, even though I want rules changes, is that Granny does make changes, consults the NAF only, and we get more rule changes that are only beneficial for those who don't live in Onlielanda, because no one ever looked at enough long term data or gave two tosses about perpetual leagues and online play. So, if I had a vote that could help influence in the smallest way any rule changes to the game by being in the NAF, I am in. Otherwise, out.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

A agree with Whatball on all of that.

I would change online-TT to resurrection/short tourney-perpetual MM/perpetual league. I think the one big thing we all need to work towards is unifying what TT/Online players want and feel about each other. Right now it's too divisive, which isn't good for the hobby. In reality, the only real difference between the 2 is what is cumbersome and not on TT and what is a client capable of doing online. Plus a few out of game mechanics that have little effect.

I think if GW really are going to pick up BB as a game again. The ramifications to the NAF are huge. As I see it, you either become bandit or you reign in 3rd party figure use. I can't (and I could be wrong) see a working relationship as the hobby is.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

WhatBall wrote: My biggest fear, even though I want rules changes, is that Granny does make changes, consults the NAF only, and we get more rule changes that are only beneficial for those who don't live in Onlielanda, because no one ever looked at enough long term data or gave two tosses about perpetual leagues and online play. So, if I had a vote that could help influence in the smallest way any rule changes to the game by being in the NAF, I am in. Otherwise, out.
If GW consulted the NAF then online information would be a definite part of any response.

One game, one core set of rules. Which people can then house rule as much as they want, obviously.

I think you're right HM - bringing peace to the Galaxy is key.

Happy New Year everyone! :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
besters

Post by besters »

WhatBall wrote:
So, if I had a vote that could help influence in the smallest way any rule changes to the game by being in the NAF, I am in. Otherwise, out.

So presumably this means you are in? No guarantees and possibly no influence with the NAF, a certainty of no input outside!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

harvestmouse wrote:As I see it, you either become bandit or you reign in 3rd party figure use. I can't (and I could be wrong) see a working relationship as the hobby is.
I strongly disagree. After the Chapterhouse lawsuit ... I don't see GW doing anything at all to the NAF to force non-use of 3rd party items. They already lost way too much trying to go that route ... I don't see them continuing to pursue it.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

besters wrote:
WhatBall wrote:
So, if I had a vote that could help influence in the smallest way any rule changes to the game by being in the NAF, I am in. Otherwise, out.

So presumably this means you are in? No guarantees and possibly no influence with the NAF, a certainty of no input outside!
No, because right now the NAF has zero influence on the rules from anything I have seen and no inclination to divert from the current rule set.

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

WhatBall wrote:
besters wrote:
WhatBall wrote:

No, because right now the NAF has zero influence on the rules from anything I have seen and no inclination to divert from the current rule set.

Have you read the Q&As?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:As I see it, you either become bandit or you reign in 3rd party figure use. I can't (and I could be wrong) see a working relationship as the hobby is.
I strongly disagree. After the Chapterhouse lawsuit ... I don't see GW doing anything at all to the NAF to force non-use of 3rd party items. They already lost way too much trying to go that route ... I don't see them continuing to pursue it.
You're miss understanding me a little. I don't think they'll go down the lawsuit road, that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting, for the NAF to have an 'official' voice in the future of BB (however that's presuming GW are re-releasing BB). As I said, I don't know................I really can't see where GW are heading with picking up BB again. I also seem to remember you saying you'd be surprised if GW did pick BB up again with so many 3rd party manufacturers in the hobby.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

harvestmouse wrote:I also seem to remember you saying you'd be surprised if GW did pick BB up again with so many 3rd party manufacturers in the hobby.
Yes I did say that ... but that was also before Guild Ball, Slaughterball, Dreddball and Khaos Ball all funded on KickStarter. Now there are so many 3rd party fantasy football players on the market that its a wide open door. My honest thought is that someone from GW saw the success that Mantic and Cool Mini or Not were having with Fantasy Football and realized that they were leaving money on the table. So the current small shop 3rd party mini vendors ... I believe they could care less about them. It the big dogs of Mantic and CMoN that they see as who they are competing with to get back some of this pie.

So yeah ... with everything currently in the mix ... I just really do not see the 3rd party minis being an issue. If I'm any 3rd party manufacturer at this point and I received a letter ... I would just be like ... I'm sorry I'm making figures for Khaos Ball. Other than Comixinios all the 3rd party don't mention Blood Bowl on their sites ... Alex might want to make some changes to stay out of legal letter trouble ... but that is the only one that I see with any issues.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

GalakStarscraper wrote:My honest thought is that someone from GW saw the success that Mantic and Cool Mini or Not were having with Fantasy Football and realized that they were leaving money on the table.
Not just Fantasy Football - skirmish-sized fantasy and sci-fi games as well.
I'm surprised GW kept it's head in the sand for so long - they kept telling themselves that there was no call for the smaller games even when every other company under the sun was showing the market was there. Guess that's what happens when you pride yourself on not doing market research. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

I don't know about other countries, but in Germany Privateer is pretty big with Warmachine/Hordes.
I, as an old time GW player, was surprised on how quick they bit off a market share that seems to be bigger than GWs today over here.
But then, they do a lot of tournament support, have German championships played out and what not.
And, I have to admit, their sculpts are fantastic.

Maybe GW just got lazy on their success?

But, more important, what got that all to do with joining the NAF?!? :wink:

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

First I didn't want to hijack this post by insisting, but since a PM to Sann0638 has no succes, I'll ask here anyway:

why did the NAF decide to restrict the trophies to bigger tournaments?

Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--