Converting Article

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Converting Article

Post by spubbbba »

Since 2007 I have been converting and painting up Blood Bowl teams on commission and blogging about it on Fumbbl.

With my current project being the 30th team I have done I thought it would be a good idea to write a series of articles specifically focused on converting and painting techniques with Blood Bowl in mind. Sann0638 has kindly allowed me to publish it on the NAF Site.

As I have been collecting GW models for the past 26 years I am most familiar with them, so the examples are heavily skewed to their range. With GW bringing back Blood Bowl tournaments to Warhammer World and insisting on their models only it seemed like an ideal time to publish this. Buying the out of production models can be expensive so hopefully this might prove useful to those who are thinking of converting a team.

In the future the plan is to write 3 more articles;
  • An article on painting Blood Bowl teams, focusing on colour schemes appropriate for the race and taking inspiration from teams from the fluff or kits worn by real life sports teams.
  • A follow up about using the colour/shade/metal technique I have developed for creating quick and easy team colour schemes.
  • Looking at how to use both conversions and painting to distinguish between the different positionals within a team and how to make star players that stand out from the rest of the squad.

These may take me a while complete as some of them will require models to be painted up or converted specially to illustrate certain points.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Converting Article

Post by Sainthropee »

Great iniciative!

Thank you in advance for doing this.

Subscribed to the thread right now!

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Great idea, I love converted teams. I done two myself and am currently ignoring another I started at the end of last year. Hopefully this thread will inspire me to get motivated again.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I've added another article, this time about converting positionals.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I’ve finished the article on star players now. It’s another long one (over 4,000 words) so a lot of pictures are included to break up the text and provide examples.

I have a draft version of the painting/colour choice article in progress as well. It is liable to be another long one as I am combined 2 separate subjects. I want to paint up some models specially for this to illustrate some key points and that will likely be the bigger delay.

I have been looking at doing a final piece that would deal with bases. I’d probably just focus on how this relates to Blood Bowl, things like how to replicate atrogranite, display bases/dioramas, adding markings/teams badges/TD areas on the bases. Otherwise it would end up huge and replicate a lot of general info about recreating different biomes found in fantasy and sci-fi worlds.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Those articles are absolutly fabulous!
Thanks for the effort!

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Thanks, indeed. Count me among those who appreciate your doing this!

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

great article :)

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Newest article is done, this time covering bases from simple grass to the more exotic surfaces some teams may play on.

I still need to polish up the colour scheme one I have been working on for years but keep putting it off since I'll have to paint up a load of new models to illustrate points.

I am thinking that something covering staff (cheerleaders, coaches and apoths), inducements (bribes/refs, babes and wizards) and markers (score, turn and re-roll) could be interesting. Mind you I would probably have to make a bunch of new ones since it is not something I do for most of my teams.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Again, a wonderful and inspiring read!

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Thanks for doing these, brilliant stuff.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Would it be possible - for convenience reasons- to offer a download for these articles somewhere? I would love to be able to print them out properly and file them with my hobby stuff (although I should do mor hobby and less filing... :wink: ).

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I think there's a print pdf button at the bottom of each? Or does that not work very well?

Edit: Just tried it and it doesn't work at all, oops!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

sann0638 wrote:I think there's a print pdf button at the bottom of each? Or does that not work very well?

Edit: Just tried it and it doesn't work at all, oops!
Yeah, should have mentioned that.

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Fixed now, though due to size of pictures goes to 26 pages. Have had a fiddle with settings, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler