Tournament series that cover the same area?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Tournament series that cover the same area?

Post by Gaixo »

frogboy wrote:GG is much harder to win than the SWTC or the STC due to the amount of tournaments available and the wider range people have to travel. I don't think it cheapens the trophy at all. Likewise if you want to compete ether of the other two then you have to concentrate on that and maybe miss out on the other.
Sure. I'm not demanding that the Golden Gauntlet's sanction be removed. (In fact, I told Torsten that I hoped he could find a way to make it work within our guidelines.) But each case needs to be considered so that it doesn't get out of hand.

Reason: ''
Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

As written on the NAF forum.
As of now, I'm sanctioning TS requests the following way: if a new series will be a complete subset of an existing series then I deny the sanctioning. If a new series is an open series and covers an area, which has some structured series already established and it will add more tourneys to it, then I approve it. The idea behind this procedure is: we want to get broader, not smaller.

As Nate wrote: The hurdles to have a tournament participating in more than one series is somewhat high. The GG was already in existance when they ask for permission to be a sanctioned. The SWTC was also already an established series. But, the big difference (for me) is that he GG is an open series and the SWTC is a structured series. The size of each series was also a weigh into my decision to sanction GG. But I need to point out, that the sanctioning was not retroactive. The request came well before the deadline for sanctioning. It just took a little bit of time on the "paperwork" side until it was announced an official NAF sanctioned series, no fault of the organizers.

One of the ideas of having a TS was to bring more coaches to other tourney, which they usually wouldn't go to. I declined on sanctioning so far, because the series in question would have been a small part of an existing series and the subset would have covered only a small area of the existing area. For me, here is no benefit in the spirit of a series.

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
besters

Post by besters »

Gaixo wrote:By that reasoning we should offer NAF trophies to 1-round tournaments of 2 or more people, right? There's a point at which no one is encouraged because there's no real accomplishment involved.

There doesn't seem to be any issue in this particular case, but if the UK (for example) were to have two dozen overlapping series, winning one wouldn't mean anything to anyone.
Serously, I think NAF sanctioning tends to be the biggest boost to tournament attendance, having a circuit linking tournamenta might encourage greater participation by some but probably only those with an interest in the top places. Having said that they do add to the enjoyment and any boost to attendance is welcome.

I think the NAF have it about right, one national circuit to include possible regional circuits, but no more than the two tiers.

Besters

speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

besters wrote:
I think the NAF have it about right, one national circuit to include possible regional circuits, but no more than the two tiers.

Besters
+1