NAF must change

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NAF must change

Post by Dark Duke »

Gaixo wrote:Not a negligible amount, though it would be more impressive if they had made the effort to post outside their home forum. It's especially unfortunate that they'll (evidently) never see the responses to their requests.
Spaniards are not famous for our proficiency in English. Most of the Spanish coaches don't post outside our home forum because they don't feel comfortable interacting in English.

Reason: ''
Life is short, block fast.
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I'd encourage you (as in, the Spanish) to turn up and talk in Spanish. I know that this forum has a (in my view entirely unhelpful, if I correctly recall it's a thing) rule about only speaking in English, but no such thing exists on the NAF site.

Engagement with our non-English speaking Euro friends has long been an issue. Forget this petition for a moment, we are really bad at communicating and interacting across the Blood Bowl world in general. Everyone retreating to their national forums to talk amongst themselves is helpful in some ways, but in others it allows issues to fester and reduces interaction with the wider NAF.

We all have access to Google Translate, we'll muddle through. I follow the Spanish (Italian, German, French...) forum well enough without posting there, I'm sure we could have a reasonable conversation on the NAF site.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Purplegoo wrote:I'd encourage you (as in, the Spanish) to turn up and talk in Spanish. I know that this forum has a (in my view entirely unhelpful, if I correctly recall it's a thing) rule about only speaking in English, but no such rule exists on the NAF site.

Engagement with our non-English speaking Euro friends has long been an issue. Forget this petition for a moment, we are really bad at communicating and interacting across the Blood Bowl world in general. Everyone retreating to their national forums to talk amongst themselves is helpful in some ways, but in others it allows issues to fester and reduces interaction with the wider NAF.

We all have access to Google Translate, we'll muddle through. I follow the Spanish (Italian, German, French...) forum well enough without posting there, I'm sure we could have a reasonable conversation on the NAF site.
Spot on Phil, spread the love :)

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Purplegoo wrote:I'd encourage you (as in, the Spanish) to turn up and talk in Spanish. I know that this forum has a (in my view entirely unhelpful, if I correctly recall it's a thing) rule about only speaking in English, but no such thing exists on the NAF site.

I would second this absolutely. It's just as much my fault I don't know Spanish as it may be yours for not knowing English. It would be a real shame if that made you feel unwelcome anywhere. And I do try and read other nations' forums with the help of google translate. The Italian forum after the Tilean Team Cup was really interesting, and there were a couple of google translation quirks that made it hilarious. My friend British Dog did a report about being nervous about making a blitz and wanting to put in a risky assist for 3 dice which came out as "I am gossipy. I want the third nut". I'm still laughing! Also Purplegoo beat someone 3-0 to the face! :wink:

Better that you reply in Spanish than not reply at all.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I do all of my best work to the face. ;)

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Wulfyn wrote: I would second this absolutely. It's just as much my fault I don't know Spanish as it may be yours for not knowing English.
No no no. We can't all learn all languages. What languages does Spanish speaking people that doesn't speak English learn?

About time to stop dubbing movies. Stop translating everything. Learn a language.

I learned about 4 languages, Spanish is not one of them. I think we can meet half way.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Esperanto for all!

Ĉu vi parolas Esperante?

We could start our own language, my wife looks at me like I'm odd when I tell her things like 'I nearly got a OTT with a TTM to go 2-1 in OT, the Khemri Throw-Ra was Ko'd so probably a nailed on victory' but then most people would I suppose.

On topic, I would support diversity I think having everyone in one place at least trying to communicate should benefit everyone.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

Well i really know 2 languages, Spanish and english, i can understand but not speak nor write portuguese and italian, even when was a kid i spoke italian better than spanish because i went to an italian kindergarten. I've started to learn Russian and german, and i get a very little bit of french

http://Image
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

I feel like half the message is missing. There's an awful lot of 'shoulds' (NAF should do this, etc.) but not a single mention of why such change should occur. It doesn't actually seem seek to change people's minds. Nor does it say what would happen if the changes don't take place. As such, it lacks both reasons or threats. It strikes me as almost pointless.

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

Moraiwe wrote:I feel like half the message is missing. There's an awful lot of 'shoulds' (NAF should do this, etc.) but not a single mention of why such change should occur. It doesn't actually seem seek to change people's minds. Nor does it say what would happen if the changes don't take place. As such, it lacks both reasons or threats. It strikes me as almost pointless.
Yeah pointless and spanish initiative only. The reason is the introduction of new
rules by naf along with GW, is more like a rant.

Kafre es Ispurio
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kafre es Ispurio »

ugrosh wrote:
Moraiwe wrote:I feel like half the message is missing. There's an awful lot of 'shoulds' (NAF should do this, etc.) but not a single mention of why such change should occur. It doesn't actually seem seek to change people's minds. Nor does it say what would happen if the changes don't take place. As such, it lacks both reasons or threats. It strikes me as almost pointless.
Yeah pointless and spanish initiative only. The reason is the introduction of new
I think that you raised a few dangerous points here.

This rant as you call it, just happen to express an opinion shared by a part of the BB community that is unhappy on how the NAF is managing the changes. You may disagree with it, but state that will have not repercussion and that is pointless, is quite brave.

Why should do it? Why should do the NAF do anything? There are a few answers to that but I like this one: because some members are asking for it. The Spanish community is the third NAF community in number of members. Of course this small rant don't represent them all, but giving the under representation of the spaniards in other forums and the effort and coordination needed to write, review, translate and post this same message those forums can give you some perspective. Besides, the NAF image in Spain, specially after the mass resignation of the NAF RTO last year and the reasons behind it, is quite weak.

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

Kafre es Ispurio wrote:
ugrosh wrote:
I think that you raised a few dangerous points here.

This rant as you call it, just happen to express an opinion shared by a part of the BB community that is unhappy on how the NAF is managing the changes. You may disagree with it, but state that will have not repercussion and that is pointless, is quite brave.

Why should do it? Why should do the NAF do anything? There are a few answers to that but I like this one: because some members are asking for it. The Spanish community is the third NAF community in number of members. Of course this small rant don't represent them all, but giving the under representation of the spaniards in other forums and the effort and coordination needed to write, review, translate and post this same message those forums can give you some perspective. Besides, the NAF image in Spain, specially after the mass resignation of the NAF RTO last year and the reasons behind it, is quite weak.
Let´s see could be a harsh statment from me, of course. yeah the sapnish is the third Naf comunity. but how you can see here almost no one shares the concerns or that seems, that the spaniards. i have perspective an that was because auto banned from that comunity.

About that some people are asking to, but it´s a minority, despite that all deserve been listened, not all request have to be implemented, less if is minority.

Kafre es Ispurio
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kafre es Ispurio »

ugrosh wrote: Let´s see could be a harsh statment from me, of course. yeah the sapnish is the third Naf comunity. but how you can see here almost no one shares the concerns or that seems, that the spaniards. i have perspective an that was because auto banned from that comunity.
Isn't it weird that no one shares these concerns and criticism on how the NAF is acting? And Is a pity that you banish yourself, your opinion was appreciated.
ugrosh wrote: About that some people are asking to, but it´s a minority, despite that all deserve been listened, not all request have to be implemented, less if is minority.
Well, time will tell if it is a minority or not.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Link please to the Spanish forum discussions?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

[quote="Kafre es Ispurio]

Isn't it weird that no one shares these concerns and criticism on how the NAF is acting? And Is a pity that you banish yourself, your opinion was appreciated.
Weird in wich sense?, theres tourneys thats tooke place under the actual rules and seems there arent much complaining, or the complaining are less vocals than in Spain. Thats comunity is much conservative to my taste, that why the self imposed bann,
San 06388 here the link : http://www.bloodbowlforo.org/phpBB3/vie ... 31&t=16957