Moderator: TFF Mods

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New TD - AMA!

Post by kyrre »

Purplegoo wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:Hi all!

A short NAF blog this time, over at the NAF Wordpress. Cool stuff in Chile, additions to staff and signposts covering a big year of NAF BB.

Thanks!

Phil.
Secondly, we’re in the process of updating the view of the tournament page so everyone can see ‘Pending’ events (at time of writing, this isn’t pushed through yet, but is imminent).
Phil.
The status column for upcoming tournaments should now be visible for everyone who is logged in. If anyone find the statement to be false, please let us know so that we can fix the problem.

Reason: ''
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I've popped up a very brief March TD Blog. Not much to say, but an excuse to summarise a few recent NAF topics.

Stay safe and well, all, in these unprecedented times.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi gang.

After a Covid inspired break, I'm dipping my toe back into TD blogging. Take a look here for some general thoughts around summer 2020.

Cheers!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi gang,

A quite short NAF Blog this month. Probably about a cup of tea of time investment, no more. ;)

Thanks!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi all,

Back for September, it's blog time. News and chat from the Chaos Cup, some words on WC bidding and Nationals, and a look forward to Mar / Apr 2021 and hopefully, happier times.

Ta!

montanhas18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by montanhas18 »

Hi, not sure if there's a better way to comment on the blog posts (thank you for doing them by the way)... but I have a couple of quick comments on the Nationals initiative.

I understand the idea, and the thresholds and such... I just think the label itself might cause more confusion than benefit. For example... "If I live in a country that doesn't make the thresholds, I can't have a NAFed tournament that awards a national championship?". Or... "If it's a national, is it open to players from outside that nation? Can those players become national champions in a country they don't live in, or have nationality of?"

I also don't understand this part: "Giving every nation a National? Somewhat dilutes the brand, gives us too many ‘double point’ tournaments so they are less meaningful and in some smaller areas,..." How can it dilute the NAF's brand to have a national in each nation? Also, why are smaller areas relevant? Even if that refers "number of NAF-active BB players"? Surely when we think of a "national tournament" in any sport we are already aware that some countries have a much larger playing population, or even just population.

It just seems like a great idea, potentially "mired" by being tied to the "nation" concept just to make it easier to distribute geographically... and undermining a bit communities that already geared their annual BB tournament scene to a event where a national championship is awarded.

On another theme... really happy to learn there's a bidding info document coming, anxious to see that :)

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

montanhas18 wrote:Hi, not sure if there's a better way to comment on the blog posts
You can reply directly to the blog post.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

You can indeed.

Chat about the name is interesting. We kicked a few about and liked this one the best; I don’t feel that it stops a country that doesn’t qualify from having a national championship, or whatever. But maybe that’s an English thing, or just my opinion. I think the name speaks to what we’re trying to achieve with the initiative, considering the plan that the national communities can come together themselves (under the guidance of the staff) to decide how to make it work for them.

I think you misunderstood the branding point, I was speaking about Nationals rather than the NAF. The naming point still stands here; appreciate the difference of opinion.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi all,

A very short tick over NAF TD blog for you this month, as we ride the pandemic and await BB2020. Some words from Australia and a smattering of other news.

Cheers!

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Woo!

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95