Abstaining from ranking

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Abstaining from ranking

Post by sann0638 »

In case people have missed it, the NAF committee ruled in November that it is not allowed to abstain from having your games recorded for a particular tournament: https://www.thenaf.net/2017/11/naf-minu ... mber-2017/

The reasoning was that it would allow people to game the system - practise with a particular race for example while protecting a high ranking, or only recording games with halflings if lots of doubles and stars are allowed. There are many possible examples.

Obviously there are ways around it - you could go to tournaments where no-one knows who you are and pretend not to be a NAF member, but hopefully no-one would go to these sort of lengths to get around a rule that has a good basis for it.

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Abstaining from ranking

Post by Darkson »

And, as a (soon to be) non-NAF member, I don't give you permission to use my data, therefore you can't, regardless of me being a NAF member in the past.

And a crap change given the inclusion of non-GW rosters. Why was this not put to a vote to the membership?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Darkson wrote: And a crap change given the inclusion of non-GW rosters. Why was this not put to a vote to the membership?
Because it was not felt appropriate. I will leave it to NAF committee to sort out. If you want to delete your personal details (name, address etc) from your profile that can be done, then there is nothing to connect you as an individual to your account, but it is NAF policy that once you have a NAF name then your games are recorded in NAF tournaments.

I will leave it to current committee to respond from now on, I'm just passing on what was decided.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm pretty certain that goes against Data Protection laws, and puts the NAF on shaky legal grounds (based on having to pass a year Data Protection test yearly at work).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Simon, go to the personal details page on the NAF site and just delete your name, address, etc. Suddenly no one is using your data.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The NAF would be recording data that is "not accurate and up to date" and "collecting more than is needed" (paraphrasing the wording, as I don't have access to the Act thing I've done at home), both of which are potential breaches of both the UK and EU Data Protection Act (I can't speak for the RoW).

And just deleting my personal details doesn't cut it.
The definition of what information counts as ‘personal data’ is also being expanded. Firstly, online identifiers (things like IP addresses and cookies) will be regarded as ‘personal data’. This change may seem minor, but it’s highly significant for any organisation with an online presence.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Right to restrict processing
You’ll be obliged to cease processing personal data where, for example, an individual contests its accuracy or says processing of their personal data is no longer necessary and its determined that no overriding legitimate grounds for continued processing exist.

mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

You can't simply apply the ruling literally without taking into account what the NAF does or withou referring to NAF policies.

Sure, if you put in a formal request to be forgotten, NAF staff will have their work cut out to make sure it's GDPR compliant, but they can in fact hang on to your game data. The game data is not personal data under GDPR. If the NAF wants to record non member game data they can with proper controls in place (eg by anonymization or pseudonymization).

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

mepmuff wrote:If the NAF wants to record non member game data they can with proper controls in place (eg by anonymization or pseudonymization).
Which is not what Sann is saying will happen.

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

To my mind, there's a difference between formally ending your NAF membership (which should require an official request, as opposed to just letting the time on your "active membership" run out) and what's being discussed in the original post. In that situation, someone wants to remain a NAF member but pick and choose which tournaments will "count" for them.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

How is someone that lets their "active membership" run out picking and choosing their NAF tournaments? If your membership runs out, then you're no longer a member.

But ok, how do you formally deactivate you NAF account? That doesn't seem to be posted anywhere on the NAF site.

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

So if understood Simon correct, once he is not a NAF member anymore, he wants to have all his data, including game data deleted from the NAF database..

I guess that is technically possible, but would take up quite some time to go through all the tourneys he has attended. That would also include to delete all the tournaments he has organized and entered in the NAF database.

The question is: is the hatred of Khorne worth all that hassle?

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

Tojurub wrote:So if understood Simon correct, once he is not a NAF member anymore, he wants to have all his data, including game data deleted from the NAF database..

I guess that is technically possible, but would take up quite some time to go through all the tourneys he has attended. That would also include to delete all the tournaments he has organized and entered in the NAF database.

The question is: is the hatred of Khorne worth all that hassle?
There's no need under GDPR to delete anything other than his personal details.

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Darkson wrote:How is someone that lets their "active membership" run out picking and choosing their NAF tournaments? If your membership runs out, then you're no longer a member.
That's not what I said. The situation that was discussed by the committee is one in which an active member didn't want certain games ranked. So you've been bringing up an entirely different issue, I think.
But ok, how do you formally deactivate you NAF account? That doesn't seem to be posted anywhere on the NAF site.
Well, it's never come up before, as far as I know. Most people seem glad to retain their ability to play ranked games, even if they're not paying for a new gift and voting privileges every year.

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

So when I say that we would need an explicit indication that someone wants to stop having their games ranked, it's an attempt to preserve a service that many people enjoy (and that makes life much easier for tournament organizers).