News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Tweaking 7s

Post by Wobert »

lunchmoney wrote:
Wobert wrote: It does recommend that Pro and Leader aren't allowed.
No it doesn't. Only Leader is mentioned.
Shrugs.

It's just Leader, I lounge on the sofa corrected. I still think it should be amended for consistency

Reason: ''
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Then you're probably glad that this thread is primarily concerned with plans to amend it.

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Yes - and reading my reply back above it comes across far more arsey than I meant it to!

I am all for the NAF carrying out their review. As the variants become more popular the review will be well timed. I have tripped over on a few of these rulings of late. This isn't a complaint, post the review and newer, clearer guidelines it will make Goo's life easier. He won't have to send me any more emails saying 'Sorry but no'. I paraphrase somewhat there. I don't deliberately try and break the rules and this will make it easier for me to avoid doing it!

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Best not to print the rules at all, I find... ;)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ban Kick-Off Return. ;) (Especially on Skaven and Wood Elves)

Something that came up yesterday. The Caterham crew were using the 7s do from the NAF site, which caused a little confusion on the KO table*, as the Albion 7s used Brilliant Coaching/Cheering Fans 'as per BB rules', whereas the NAF doc says if both players tie neither player gets it.

Is this a recent change or something that was just missed?
Just curious, in case the 'Albion presents ARBBL 7s' happens next year.

* Didn't cause an issue as thankfully I'd accidentally ;) printed a load of AC7s rules packs the night before.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Oh, and the Riot result on the NAF KO table says 'Turn 7', but there are only 6 turns.

[Edit] Of course, this was mentioned in the OP, but I'll leave this here as a gentle reminder. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Nothing has been changed of late, and yep (kick-off table), that’s on the list for the review. ;)

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Re the KickOff Return, I played the two Skaven coaches who used it to one turn score - both drawn matches. I didn't use it and didn't miss it or lose a match.
It's an interesting meta decision, but not broken.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

KoR really helps with kicks that land in the middle zone and, yes, favors any fast team. Broken? Not sure....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Darkson wrote:...whereas the NAF doc says if both players tie neither player gets it.
I can't remember if it's come up as a kick-off result at any of Wobert's tournaments I've played in so far, but I've definitely been playing this wrong as I'd just assumed a draw worked the same as 'proper' Blood Bowl, d'oh.
Digger Goreman wrote:KoR really helps with kicks that land in the middle zone and, yes, favors any fast team. Broken? Not sure....
I would never have even contemplated how Kick-Off Return can be abused in 7s! You're right though, its efficacy is pretty dependent on the placement and scatter, so I wouldn't be too scared of it - but at least now I'm aware of it!

As for whether Kick-Off Return should be outright banned, I don't think so. Pro and Leader are the only ones that seem to defeat the point (and the fluff, in the case of Pro - they're literally amateurs!) of how much effort the 7s rules pack goes to, to limit re-rolls.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Jip wrote:
Darkson wrote:...whereas the NAF doc says if both players tie neither player gets it.
I can't remember if it's come up as a kick-off result at any of Wobert's tournaments I've played in so far, but I've definitely been playing this wrong as I'd just assumed a draw worked the same as 'proper' Blood Bowl, d'oh.
Digger Goreman wrote:KoR really helps with kicks that land in the middle zone and, yes, favors any fast team. Broken? Not sure....
I would never have even contemplated how Kick-Off Return can be abused in 7s! You're right though, its efficacy is pretty dependent on the placement and scatter, so I wouldn't be too scared of it - but at least now I'm aware of it!

As for whether Kick-Off Return should be outright banned, I don't think so. Pro and Leader are the only ones that seem to defeat the point (and the fluff, in the case of Pro - they're literally amateurs!) of how much effort the 7s rules pack goes to, to limit re-rolls.
lunchmoney wrote:Re the KickOff Return, I played the two Skaven coaches who used it to one turn score
I'm assuming it was being taken on a Gutter Runner? Seems even more of a sink using a double skill to get it...

Edit: just had a look at the Albion Coast Sevens rules pack - it must have been on a Thrower, which is even more impressive!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

KOR on a Gutter runner.
Place GR one square back from the LOS.
Kick ball and scatter.
As long as the ball is still on the pitch, move GR 3 squares forward, into no mans land.
Pick up ball and hand off to GR.
Run GR and make what ever dodges and 2 GFIs to score.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

KOR does not stipulate that the player has to move towards the ball, just not be on the LOS and cannot move into the opponent half.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

Probably just needs clarifying that you can’t cross your own line of scrimmage as opposed to ‘into the opponents half’. One turn scoring in sevens that easily seems a touch broken.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Don__Vito wrote:Probably just needs clarifying that you can’t cross your own line of scrimmage as opposed to ‘into the opponents half’. One turn scoring in sevens that easily seems a touch broken.
That was my thinking.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com